"That's Punishable!" - The Punishable Moves Thread

A Punishable Move:

1. A move that puts a character at a serious disadvantage of frames on block and therefore allows for an easy punish.
    i.e.
  2. A move to look out for whilst fighting a character and know you have a chance to get a full combo/hyper as a result of it being blocked.

We all know (or should know) our characters punishable moves, but we don’t all have the time or patience to learn how to play every character, thus while i may know how to play and punish Dante and Dormammu i haven’t a clue on how to punish Wolverine or She Hulk.

Thus! This thread will consist of every character in the game individually listed and explain what their punishable moves / hypers are and the best way to punish those moves.
I’ll update this thread when possible and most importantly:
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!
If you learn something about a character then please oh please post what your own characters moves to look out for are.

NOTE:
‘Normals’ will also contain special moves.
If there is a way to prevent a certain annoying move from hitting you because another ‘type’ will also beat it (i.e super armor) then these will also be put down as answers to said move.

When punishing hypers, you always have to be aware of the chances of them DHCing to counter your punish. Keep an eye on their meter and be careful.

Akuma

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Tatsumaki - Push block on the last hit of the kick and then either: 1. Ultra. or 2. Use a high priority normal (i.e. Taskmaster Back Heavy) into a combo.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Level 3. Jump over it and normal his back / ultra him from behind as he dashes past you.[/details]

Amaterasu

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Cold Star - If blocked from close up you can punish with normals.
Standing S: Is unsafe on block like most character’s launchers.
F+HHHHH (Shield stance): on block is -3 which is enough disadvantage to throw her (mash backwards+heavy).[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Okami Shuffle - Block the flame and then either:

1. Teleport to her and punish with an attack before the lightning hits.
  2. (if close) jump up and grab her out of the ultra before the lightning hits.
    Slow down - Punishable if you’re close to her when she starts it up due to being stuck in a howling animation with normals / a full screen hyper. Beware of normal combos not working due to slow.
    Level 3 - Block, dash, punish[/details]

Arthur

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

C.Viper

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Standing S - Punish with normals.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Ex. Thunder Knuckle - Punish with normals. (Be cautious when punishing it as she can cancel it into Ex. Seismo that is a safe invincible combo starters.)
Ultra 1, 2 and 3 - Extremely punishable with normals on block.[/details]

Captain America

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Chris Redfield

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Chun Li

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Dante

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Standing S - Block med, punish with normals.
Jumping S (Helm Breaker) - Block high, punish with normals.
Million Stabs - Push block, punish with ultra.
Teleport - He’s at a 10 frame disadvantage. You can punish with either: 1. A well timed auto correct launcher (stand S with most characters). or 2. Jumping in the air and grabbing him before he can attack.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Million Dollars - Punish with full screen ultra between last bullet and lightning blast / jump over the last blast and hit him with normals.
Devil Trigger - Punishable on the first few frames of start up (mashing cr.L would work with fast characters)
Level 3 - You have hours to punish this.[/details]

Deadpool

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Standing S - Block mid, punish with normals
Jumping guns - He is punishable on the way down (can’t block)

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Bang Bang Bang - Jump over and attack him as the last bullets leave his guns/ If you’re right next to him combo him with normals / if you’re full screen push block the last few bullets and full screen hyper him.[/details]

Dormammu

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Standing S - Block mid, punish with normals.
Flame Carpet - Beam Ultra/Invincible ultra him when he puts his hand towards the ground.

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Dark Dimension (level 3) - Block low? Dash up and punish with normals.
Chaotic Flame - Punish with beam / full screen ultra once the last hit has been blocked.
Stalker Flare (Run Run!) -
Option 1. If you’re close enough (i.e; on his head) mash a L attack and you’ll probably hit him before the ball is completely formed, thus destroying it instantly.
Option 2. Try to jump over it and hit him.
Option 3. Teleport behind the ball when it is close to your character and hit Dormammu.
Option 4. Use a full screen multi hitting beam ultra (20+ hits)
Option 5. Block + Push block.[/details]

Dr.Doom

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Air Finger Lasers - Punishable for a couple of seconds post ultra.[/details]

Felicia

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Haggar

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
The Pipe - Air throw him out of the pipe before it comes out, beware of option select pipes however.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
For the Punches: There’s a lengthy gap between the second-last and last hit. You can attack during that time for a clean punish. Use a normal with moderately fast start up.
Body Slam: Block, dash as quickly as you can and punish. Beware of the shockwave and if you don’t have a fast enough dash use a full screen ultra to quickly punish.[/details]

Hsien-Ko

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Hulk

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Standing Heavy - Block mid, don’t push block, dash up afterwards and counterattack.
Standing S - (Same as Heavy)
Hulk Gamma Charge (up then down headbutt special) - if the upwards hit whiffs you can air block the downwards hit to get frame adv and possibly punish. Use Normals, beware of St.H…

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Hulk Gamma Crush (asteroid) Super: Options:

1. Block upwards, hit dash underneath and block the down hit. You’ll cross him up, this leaves you right next to him for the punish. (He can only dhc to safety.)
  2. Block upwards and downwards hits. If your character has a decent dash, simply dash up to punish with a combo.
    Gamma Quake:
  3. Punishable if you hit Hulk before his fist hits the ground. If his fist doesn’t hit the ground, the rocks won’t come out.
  4. Otherwise, you could always teleport behind him and carefully punish so long as you don’t move yourself beneath falling rocks.

Iron Man

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Cr.H - Dash up/jump over it and punish.
Standing S - You have years to punish this.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Photon Cannon (Both types) - If you’re close, punish with normals, don’t push block. If you’re far, push block and punish with a full screen hyper. It’s possible to jump over the beam and land next to him ‘inside’ the cannon. You can punish him from there.
Level 3 - Block, punish.[/details]

Jill Valentine

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

M.O.D.O.K

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Magneto

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Standing S - Punish with normals.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Magnetic Shockwave: Wait until the middle shockwave pillar, then pushblock.This will negate most of the blockstun and pushback (if your in the air) which you can punish from there.
Gravity Squeeze: Block the ‘hit’, punish either quickly with normals or at a distance with a full screen hyper.
Magnetic Tempest: Block the hits, punish with normals.[/details]

Morrigan

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Pheonix

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Ryu

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Shinku Hadouken - If close, punish with normals, if far, punish with full screen beam ultras.
Tatsumaki - Punish with normals / [/details]

Sentinel

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Standing S - Huge amount of delay after throwing this out. Simply dash up when you see it and attack him.
Standing / Cr. Heavy - Jump over and punish, or if you’re close enough punish with normals. BEWARE OF ROCKET PUNCHES![/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Hard Drive - Air blocking it in the middle leaves you under him as he descends, allowing you to combo / If it completely misses, dash after him and combo him as he comes down / full screen ultra his behind.
Plasma Storm - Wait for it to end, dash up and punish. It has a load of recovery on it.
Hyper Sentinel Force - Super jump over them as they activate, you should land on him roughly as the last set of drones go past him allowing you to overhead him into combo.[/details]

She Hulk

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Standing/Crouching M/H: Both of these are punishable, especially the heavy slide, beware of it coming out after a M. Don’t push block but also beware of her command throws / overheads after a few crouching/standing L’s. Punish with a fast normal (crouching L for most characters)
Standing S - Punishable with normals.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Shuma-Gorath

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Spencer

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Grappling Hook - You can grab him out of his grappling hook as he’s moving across the screen.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Bionic Arm - On block he sets himself up for any normal move into a combo. Beware of DHC’s into counter / grab ultras however. Also beware of XFC into his overhead.[/details]

Spiderman

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Maximum Spider - Block and punish with normals.
Crawler Assault - Push block and punish after the last hit.[/details]

Storm

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Ice Storm - Shoot her out of the sky before she rises up to cast the ultra with a beam of some sort.[/details]

Super Skrull

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Meteor smash (teleport fly down punch special): Block with dash up into combo. Bewarel of him mashing super. Be fast with your dash.
Air d+H:

1. X Factor guard cancel for an easy punish.
  2. You can also trade or beat him out of the air before he comes down with an anti air normal (dante LMH / Wesker Standing S etc.)
  3. Counter Hypers. [/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Level 3: Beware of it crossing you up, block and punish with a full combo.[/details]

Taskmaster

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Shield Skill - Block and punish with normals. Beware of invincibility on this move, also beware of cancels into standing S.
Standing S - Block and punish with normals. (only fast start up L’s)
Mighty Swing - Air grab him after blocking one of these.

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Secret Move - Wait until the hyper flash is gone then punish with normals.
Aim master - Straight / Diagonal can be punished after blocking. Vertical CANNOT be punished due to the arrows coming down on your head. If at a distance punish with beam ultras.[/details]

Thor

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Standing / Crouching H - Punish with normals.
Standing S - Punish with normals.
Crouching M - Punish with normals.

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Trish

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Tron Bonne

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Jumping H - You can anti-air it with lots of characters standing S / Standing L. (e.g. Dante, Wesker for S. Magneto for L.). Or simply use a super armor move as she’s coming down (e.g. Hulk standing H)
Drills - Punish with a fast characters crouching L. or throw her. Beware of cancels into level 3 on block.

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Lunch Time - Block / Jump over the bullet and get a free combo.
King Servbot - If the servbot has turned towards the screen during the hyper ‘freeze’ the little guy WILL GROW UP. Thus, continue blocking or superjump over it so as not to get caught.[/details]

Viewtiful Joe

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

Wesker

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Teleports - You can punish these as long as they aren’t protected by an assist, although as to where they teleport is a slight guess. If in the corner it’s likely they’ll teleport behind you which you can counter with an auto correct standing S.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Phantom Dance (Maximum Wesker) - Options:
1.If he activates it directly next to your character, he will end directly next to your character, allowing for a normals punish.
2. Activate an invincible hyper during his ultra (i.e Zero’s level 3 or Bionic Arm).
3. Wait for the super to finish and instantly use a full screen hyper to punish his recovery.
Counter Super - Bait it out, wait until the hyper flash has gone and then punish with a full combo.[/details]

Wolverine

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Dive Kicks -

1. You can throw him as long as he stays on the ground, but beware of more divekick OS spam.
    2: Counters, both regular like Amaterasu’s shield counter or hyper counters like Wesker’s Rhino charge.
  2. X-Factor Cancel the dive kick the moment you’ve blocked it. Punish him and kill that bastard.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

Spoiler

X-23

Punishable Normals:

Spoiler

Neck slice: Extremely punishable if air blocked, especially the charged one.Normals / Throws.

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Both of her level 1 supers can be punished simply by blocking and then using a full combo on them…[/details]

Zero

Punishable Normals:

[details=Spoiler]
Command Dashes - Zero is not invincible during these. Full screen hypers / high priority moves will beat them clean.[/details]

Punishable Ultras:

[details=Spoiler]
Rekkouha (Skittles) - If you can attack him and move your character out of the rainbow before it fully develops then you’re all good. If you block the ultra and are right next to him on the last hit a fast normal should do the job.[/details]

P.S. This is my first thread, don’t be too hard on me D:
I looked around before posting this and apart from character specific match ups i couldn’t find anything which had this kind of information in it.
Thank you everyone who helps out with information in advance.

This seems like a fantastic idea, looking forward to seeing this develop, later I’ll post some stuff that’s punishable that’s not as obvious as Tron’s standing H, haha.

As for Viper’s EX thunder knuckle just remember to be cautious when punishing it as she can cancel it into other things that are safe invincible combo starters.

Never had it happen to me personally Chrisis. What moves can she cancel it into (out of curiosity)?
Obviously not disagreeing with you here, just curious for more info.

ex seismo

you can throw wolvie after blocking a close divekick if he stays on the ground. Not a true punish since he can jump and divekick again, but hey it’s something

Ah okay, thanks dude.
Slowly updating what little i know about each character…

I just wanna say that punishing Dante’s J.S will get you bodied since he cancel into hammer.

You can’t cancel into the hammer once you’ve hit the ground.
The point is that if someone were to throw out a simple jump S and land next to you, with you blocking it correctly, you would be at frame advantage to punish using practically every character.

If, on the other hand, the Dante cancels into the hammer during his jumping S and hits you with the hammer instead, then yeah, he’s at frame advantage and you won’t be able to do anything to him as a result.

Hulk Gamma Crush (asteroid) Super: block upwards hit dash underneath and block down hit cross up, leaves you right next to him for the punish (he can’t xf only dhc)
Hulk gamma charge (up then down headbutt special): if the upwards hit whiffs you can air block the downwards hit to get frame adv and possibly punish, cr m mid screen cr l if ur cornered as he lands closer.
Sentinel Hard Drive Super: air block it in the middle leaves you under him as he descends
Tronne Bonne drill special: throw punish

Some off the top of my head

EX seismic hammer for safety and combo starting, EX burn kick for overhead mix up and combo starting

I presume you mean Hard Drive here?

Oops yes

Magneto’s Shockwave: wait until the middle shockwave pillar then advance guard/pushblock, which will negate most of the blockstun and pushback (if your in the air) which you can punish from there (i.e if full-screen with Dante, you can dash up and stinger Magneto into combo of choice)

You can airthrow Taskmaster right after a blocked mighty swing. You can also punish Wesker’s teleports if they’re not covered by assists.

This is great stuff, thanks guys.
(I always wondered what the rules were for punishing Magneto’s shockwave, it seemed very hit and miss whenever i fight against keep away Mags.)

Something I’m curious about is using snapbacks as a punish of sort. Not near my game at the moment to test this out but i heard on a stream recently that snap backs are 1 frame and can be used to punish close random hypers. (For example, i saw someone snap-back Dante out of Million Dollars once he was a good few bullets into the hyper).

As in, could you snap back Wolverine out of a Dive kick for example?
Bring in their assist character and take them out in order to lesser the problem…

Dunno, just thinking. Anyone know the properties for snapbacks?

MODOK is unpunishable!! Muahahaha!

:slight_smile:

Just realised only half of the main post is showing up…
When i go into edit mode all the other characters are there (i.e Sentinel, Modok, Magneto etc.) but in normal view you can’t see them. No idea why that’s happening.

Edit:
Alright, fixed it. My bad for messing up some of the coding haha.

Ammy’s Veil Mist (slow down hyper) is very punishable as she’s in a howling animation for a little under a full second.
Ammy’s S is unsafe on block like most character’s launchers.
Ammy’s F+HHHHH on block is -3 which is enough disadvantage to throw her.

Hulk is stuck in mortal kombat. EVERYTHING he does is punishable lol.
Gamma Quake is punishable if you hit Hulk before his fist hits the ground. If his fist doesn’t hit the ground, the rocks won’t come out. Otherwise, you could always teleport behind him and carefully punish so long as you don’t move yourself beneath falling rocks.

X-23’s neck slice is extremely punishable if air blocked, especially the charged one.

Everything seems unsafe when airblocked lol. Even some characters chained ground normals, like Dante’s - once you land in between a L to M or M to H, you can throw him or even hit him if your L is fast enough. Gonna have to go in the lab to really confirm this.

Hagger’s Hypers:

For the QCF (Punches) joint, there’s a lengthy gap between the second-last and last hit. You can attack during that time for a clean punish. Pretty sure any L move in the game will work for this, at the very least.

For the DP (Body Slam) one, I think you can just block and punish with whatever.

Its impossible to punish task launcher