The best way to get into train as a beginner

Hey guys, Im a complete newbie to fighting games and while after reading some stickies on how to start, a question has been stuck in my head.
I heard that the best way to learn is to do all the trials/lessons etc for a character and then just try to use those combos in a real match. Another source said that is bullshit and that fighting games is more just using certain moves on reaction. Thoughts?

Somewhat.

Make a list of tools. What’s the poke I use to control my space? What’s my anti-air? What are my reversals? Do I have any moves specifically for defeating projectiles?

So on and so forth.

Then, practice executing these tools on demand. (i.e. anti-airing when you see a jump; using a meaty attack on the opponent’s wakeup when expecting them to tech or mash jab; etc.)

The opponent’s actions prompt your own- like a QTE, but with no big flashing icons on the screen. There are a number of “correct” options you are supposed to be doing at any given time, so it’s important to know what they are and to be able to use them easily and quickly. It takes some time to get to that point.

A combo is an extension of a tool; “my cr. LK hits low- this cr. LK combo is how I extend its damage.” If you don’t know how to use that cr. LK in the first place your training will be meaningless, and just fishing for it with no real plan is a good way to lose.

Buy a train ticket and step on carefully.

Seriously, just look at youtube tutorials or terminology dictionaries on internet, keep learning and explore that lab!

Trials are not always the most practical combos. While they could give you a good glance at what your character is capable of doing, usually they are not “bread and butter” combos.

While we’re on the topic…how long did you guys train before your first ranked, tournament, or any similar match of that nature? I was so nervous the first time, I was a training mode monster for 2 months before playing a ranked match…when I look back on it, I should’ve just played my friends earlier

Thanks guys! Always thought when people meant the ‘lab’ they meant going into training mode and just practicing trials stuff

Yes, the “lab” is generally training mode, of which you can either practice combos, setups, or record the CPU and work on different things. But not necessarily trials. As someone who’s spent too much time in practice mode, I highly recommend learning the essential basic tools of your character as well as the general pace of a match for whatever game you play, and jumping in and playing as much as you can. Don’t work on anything technical yet, or combos that require too much practice. You can work on those in parallel while you gain match experience.

Also recommend doing offline stuff ASAP. Usually people are happy to see newbies show up and will offer advice where they can, and offline practice is always better due to the gameplay differences that occur with a little bit of lag over the network.

Find other beginners I’m gonna ask the mids for a beginner matcaking thread Herr in the dojo, the match making is HORRIBLE for new players.

I really need to check before I post…

I played a bit of arcade mode, probably less than an hour or so. Went and lost a few matches online due to inexperience and horrid execution, then went to training mode until I was used to handling my arcade stick. And then, in the last 6 months, I’ve probably spent less than an hour in training mode. I’m a horrible example.

Arcade mode will not help you get better. The computer doesn’t play anything like a human. They won’t block simple jump ins and they will block the most impossible to read cross ups and resets. I always do a characters trials first when learning, to get a feel for the moves and basics. Then training to figure out what the best pokes and anti airs are, and some basic BnBs, then go online here or on YouTube and check for tutorials for any other basic things that I should know, then back to training. Then when im somewhat comfortable, i set up a 1vs1 lobby in endless and kick people until I find another person on my level. Then I come back here with that extra knowledge of fightjing an actual person and reread threads which always make more sense after I’m more comfortable with the character. Then I train what I get from the threads, do some endless or ranked if I’m feeling comfortable enough, rinse and repeat.

get involved with your local scene. if there isn’t a scene then try and start one with your friends. offline vs human is best. being able to give and receive feedback is also great to improve your metagame

As mentioned above trials are a test of your execution, not combo staples. You might use some of them in a match but they’re not optimal and in many cases they’ll be more difficult than optimal combos.

Training will people is definitely important, but there’s a lot of value from taining alone, especially practicing special move motions like qcf or srk. It’s tedious, but doing things like throwing 50 fireballs in a row definitely help if you’re not used to throwing them.

The next step up is doing things like neutral jump -> land -> fireball immediately, then like step back -> fireball immediately. Same think with srk motions etc etc.

Arcade mode is ok but you need to do it constructively, like trying to hit confirm combos. You won’t learn good things like footsies or player tendencies or “what you’re supposed to do” (ie empty jump -> throw) but you can practice pokes or pressure strings into combos.

Another good way to practice these are in training mode on CPU mode.

In ultra training mode with a person will be good too.

It all depends on what you’re trying to get better at. Since you’re a beginner, think of fighting games as your typical strategy game, but just that they require execution skills. With that being said i would start with training mode, becoming familiar with all of your character’s moves (normals and specials) as well as getting used to moving around with your character. Then play arcade mode so you can get used to handling execution under the pressure of attack. All of this is to just get you used to controlling and playing the game.

The true fun starts with playing real people, whether it be online or offline. The only way to improve in that aspect is to just play, but it’s generally advised to spend some time to acquaint your mind and your hands with the game/your character. And always have the mindset of improving while you fight, not winning/losing. You’d be surprised how much this actually helps you win, and how much it takes the sting off of losing.

When you lose (and you will) you MUST review your matches or at least try to figure our afterwards what went wrong and how to fix it. These small fixes build up with time, and as they do your input execution becomes second nature. This is how people get better. Eventually your training will change and grow into deep strategic learning instead of simple things like combos, movement, and basic matchup knowledge. These things that i consider to be simple will come very easily to you and you wont have to worry about them.

Just learn the tough stuff and get it out of the way so you can enjoy the game. It wont be a grind anymore and you’ll actually have fun learning (crazy right!?)

Random side question. I know everyone says to start palying the game with Ryu. Is that the best way? or is it better to just pick a character you’re into and just start. Also, looking to choose from Viper, Makoto and Yun (they interest me the most), is there a particular one I should start with?

Ryu is normally the go to since he’s the original and he has a very solid play style. He’s better or worse from game to game, but playing Ryu will teach you basics of street fighter most efficiently since he doesnt really have any gimmicks or anything that stands out. I dont really mean anything negative by saying gimmicks, I just mean things that are somewhat unique to a character, like Juri storing fireballs, Gen changing stances, Hakan needing to be oiled, things like that. With Ryu you can just play. Honestly with the characters you listed, as someone who is just starting you’ll get yourself in a deep hole for awhile. With Viper and Mokoto you wont know how to properly apply their specials or ultras. That and from my experience, Makoto is a character where you cannot get knocked down or you’ll be in a very tight spot. It’s likely that you could get along well enough with Yun though.

Alright thanks everyone! I was told to start Sakura instead of Ryu if Ryu’s too boring since she’s essentially the same character with more offensive capabilities.
Also, do you mean its possible to jump in with no previous experience with the game at all and just start learning Yun without learning/playing any character beforehand?

I just wanted to say that this is the best advice for a fighting game beginner I’ve seen on the internet. Informative, succinct, and friendly!

Also, in regards to your last question Banberry, I would say start with whoever you want. You can learn the fundamentals with anyone, the difference being that it will take some more time to get better with some characters than others. As far as specific characters go, I’ll leave that for the more experienced players, as I’m still a beginner myself. Just wanted to share the good advice I’ve found!

not quite true.
http://www.eventhubs.com/columns/2011/oct/02/step-your-game-chapter-2-hitting-your-targets/

Yea, good advice all round ^^ Started with Yun. Currently trying to master DP motion so I can get it out each time. I see theres a shortcut version although I hear its better to just learn the original motion in the long run

learn both. the short cut allows you to DP from a crouching position