The Disappearance of Yu Suzuki

1UP has a really great interview with Yu Suzuki, creator of many arcade games, and also the man behind Virtua Fighter and Shenmue. The interview was conducted by James Mielke, who hasn’t been with 1UP for 2 years, but was asked to return to do the interview because he’s a big fan of Suzuki.

sounds like he IS working on Shenmue 3. Interesting…

I don’t know how likely that is when Shenmue 2 was a financial flop.

That bit about getting a concept for an original game approved is so true…you can’t do a forecast for a game that plays like no other game out there. New IP’s create that market.

With that said, I think it was too particular for people to grasp, mainly in America. Shenmue was one of a kind; Shenmue 2 was more of the same, but with extended areas of play and interactivity with the general population, I think. But, with delay after delay, then cancellation of the U.S. Dreamcast release (still released on DC in JP and EU [with Eng. subs]), then the late port to Xbox in Spring 2003 IIRC, I think people just got sick of waiting. That, and they didn’t want to purchase a $400+ for a new system and game to play the sequel.