The Drive To Continue

Hi Guys, posted on here a couple times for some helps with my me mechanics but this thread is going to be a bit different, you see I’ve been playing fighting games since I was a kid growing up with Tekken and not until a year ago did I really want to take the time to learn (SF4) I play pretty much every day playing online and hitting the training room anytime I can. But hopefully vets here can understand where I’m coming from when I say, At some point you lose that passion and that drive, maybe not everyone but to the new comer like me who gets bodied by people who deserve to be better then me but get me salty and I learn nothing from the experience of getting bodied besides “This guy is better then me” Now I don’t want to sound whiney so I’ll get on with it. To any life long vets out there, what was your drive? When you were a scrub and getting bodied how did you continue humiliating yourself for long enough to learn? And before anyone says something I love fighting games and I don’t want anyone to think I’m bashing them for a minute but were all only humans and at some point someone stops and thinks to themselves “why keep going?”.

Look at your replays of you losing with input display on and start to look at how you played objectively and why you lost, like “oh, I could’ve antiaired him here” or “oh, I dropped this round winning combo”. Having someone that you know who’s better than you that you can constantly play 1 on 1 sets and get feedback on your play online or preferably offline would help too.

And I’ve been into competitive stuff for a while so it kind of mirrors fighting games a little bit, it takes years of getting your ass handed to you until you can start to compete with the big boys.

Don’t try to be better than them. Try to be better than you were yesterday (or more realistically, last week/month). If you lose, look through the replays and recognize a situation that you lost to and figure out a solution to that situation. Then apply it. If some Situation X really is just horrible for your character, figure out a Situation Y that tends to let the opponent put you into Situation X, and figure out a solution to Situation Y so you end up being in Situation X less.

Also, looking through replays twice from both players’ perspectives and trying to figure out why they did something in some situation is really helpful, because it gives you an understanding of the motivations behind the moves. Can’t win unless you know what the opponent wants to do.

Aside from what’s already been said (feedback loop/replay analysis is a very powerful technique that can make you strong very quickly);

you need to have a good reason to play.

Maybe it’s that you enjoy the game, the thrill; you find it fun or engaging… or maybe it’s that you’re drawn to a certain character. Maybe you want to be the best. Regardless of the reason, it has to be good. If it’s not, if you’re ambivalent, if your will is shaky - you’re not going to put in the work.

I play a character that I don’t have a whole lot of love for because the main I want won’t be here until Ultra- and you can bet that I don’t play hard every day, that I don’t analyze every loss I take. I get lazy and because I don’t have a good reason, I don’t push past it. My play ends up being lackluster instead of being in top form as a result.

No reason, no drive.

I’ll tell you that if you haven’t already, you need to try and get offline. Endless is much different from Ranked; offline is much different from Endless. They are almost like completely different games- like one is the Bizarro version of the other.

Playing Ranked I don’t feel like I’m worth anything at all and I even get frustrated when I win. Playing offline, I feel good about myself, that maybe I’m not so bad. It’s a very, very different feel.

This is why being part of a scene or having a mentor is important. If you don’t have someone social to keep you up you will just keep looking at yourself or blaming your losses on the opponent etc. Once you get good enough you can start taking care of your own mistakes, but early on your problem is that you have the passion but you’re going at it solo. Which passion combined with lack of knowledge = lots of losses and lots of beating yourself up. Get someone to play with you that can get you through the motions and help you apply knowledge that you don’t yet have. Then you’ll start to see better results.

Even when I was a scrub I was always naturally talented in fighting games so I just kept going to tournaments enough and kept playing online enough till it clicked. For you it seems like there’s things that are not clicking and you’ll need a mentor to help you get through those things. Even J.Wong had Eddie Lee teach him footsies and other fighting game fundamentals in CVS2.

Never forget, sometimes take a break. Every other sport has seasons and time off. Sometimes yo have to walk away and let your brain process what you have learned. Once I push so hard for so long that I mentally crashed. SRM Mad King beat be so bad in 2011 that I almost gave up fighters completely. Played him at Mitten Masher Mondays a few weeks ago, he still beat me, but it wasn’t as free :slight_smile:

Why is losing at a video game humiliating? Losing is a fact of life, everyone in the world is going to lose at some point. Daigo has been playing Street Fighter his entire life and he still loses. If you lose at worst you’ve wasted 3 minutes of your life and learned absolutely nothing. At best you’ve had some fun and just learned how to get better at the game. If you tell yourself that you’re bad at Street Fighter and shouldn’t play it every time you lose then you’re not gonna have much fun and you won’t want to play anymore.

Best advice in this thread. Trying to get better than player X (Daigo, guy online, local guy, etc) is good but fighting games are as much self-improvement games as they are competitive contests. They’re not as objective as, let’s say track and field, there’s no one clear indicator of how much you’ve improved since last week. That’s because they require more skills to be proficient in and someone is actively trying to stop you from winning. Let’s say you react to a forward jump. You still have to make a decision on which anti-air to use after considering several factors like spacing and the opposing character’s most likely jump-in attack and properly execute the anti-air you’ve selected. Unless all three of those things are there you fail your anti-air and physically lose the ability to move your character. This is required on a constant basis in every situation.

As for the drive to continue, it’s a solely personal question. For me it’s being better than other players at a game, for some of my friends it’s proving they’re able to execute strategies and trick their opponent, and so on. You say you’ve been playing Tekken since you were a kid and wanted to learn a fighting game on a competitive level. That probably has a lot to do with your drive, the reason you want to play Street Fighter. If you can understand that reason then you’ll be able to assess if you should play a different character, different fighting game, or even that fighting games aren’t what you wanna do right now.

I’m the biggest noob around here probably, I play ssf4 ae on a pc with a keyboard, I suck , I can’t put a combo together and when I go online I create a room in endless and wait for people , many times there are nice guys who stay along and play with me for a couple of matches , some even more , most of the time there are 2k - 3k pp players they mop the floor with me , but the longer i play against them the more I see their tactics , even if I can’t beat them in I start countering their moves little by little or atleast attempt to counter them even if I am too slow or if I try a move and something else comes out , when that happens , after a few more matches I go to training and practice that move , obviously it’s not gonna get better right away but practice makes perfect . If you find the game boring and you find the fact that you’re losing frustrating then put the controler down for a week , play something else and come back after that , try finding some friends that will play with you , mp games are always more fun with friends . Winning against good players comes with time , flukes don’t really count , also if you want to play against beginners you can always create a game in endless and selecting the title beginners are welcomed or something like that. Good luck mate =).

This, then you’ll start noticing you win more little by little, and at the same time having fun. Some people suck at everything cause they never want to work at anything and just wish they were good right away, and sometimes even take shortcuts in real life. Cough* steroids, ect.

For some reason online feels more frustrating… I mean ultimately it’s not the best experience for a fighting game in general. You mention you spend your time playing online and going into training mode - how often do you spend playing offline, local casuals or tourneys or something like that? If the answer is “never”, I’d highly recommend simply replacing your online training with offline if you can. It’s a much more enjoyable experience, far more social and interactive, and you can get instant feedback assuming your community is in the least bit helpful. I imagine they should be as everyone is interested in seeing new players.

You can then set realistic goals such as either not getting completely destroyed by a certain local, or ultimately being able to beat them and then moving on.

i can;t add anything to this but reinforce what every one says. But I will say this, taking break and absorbing everything that happen will do wonders.

sometimes you have to go even back to the basics…

eg today I tried for over 2 hours performing a 720 clockwise pad move on the DC version of SFA3 and Vampire Chronicles
while previously it worked 1 out of 10, now I couldnt do it even in 200 tries. counterclockwise it works.

they’re shitty ports anyway. I’ll stick to SFIIX which has much better controls.

muscle memory seems all messed up. if you miss one millimeter or few ms of timing, move wont come out

The fun I have with fighting games drives me to continue. If you’re not having fun why bother even playing?

you gotta have the eye of the tiger and practice.

Learn your matchups.
Note to self: learn my matchups.

The growing pains in the fighting game scene are imo the worst part, you get bodied constantly by people who have been playing seriously for years. But honestly, don’t give up, analyze your gameplay to see what you’re doing wrong, fix the problem, then get back up and get it right. That’s all you can really do at the end of the day, playing with people better than you is awesome too, you learn so much faster that way.