The ground wire

feel free to laugh at what i post. it is/may be extremely noobish. i have no experience dealing with anything electrical so bear with me.

i have 2 broken sticks for the ps2 and i decided to try to fix them one day. i opened them up and searched the forums on this site for some idea as to what everything inside the stick meant (the stick uses happ comp buttons and happ comp stick). i noticed that every button or actuators? (i think that what they are called) have 2 wires soldered onto them (audience laughs at noobness). i found out that the wire on the ‘top’ was for the ‘button’ and the wire on the bottom was called the ‘ground’ wire.

i also noticed that while each ‘button’ wire connected directly to the pcb, the ground wire ran through every button/actuator inside the stick before actually connecting to the pcb. after about an hour sitting on the floor while scratching my head i came to the conclusion that the ground wire probably supplies power into the buttons from the ps2/ps1 while the ‘button’ wires send the input information from the BUTTONS to the brain (ps2).

so i have 2 questions

1- is my conclusion about the ground wire correct?

2- is it wise to run a ground wire connecting every button together before connecting it into the pcb, or should i connect each individual ground wire into the pcb. i guess another way of asking this is…

http://arkadesticks.com/hackedpads/PSOneDualShockH.jpg

^using this picture above, could i just run a ground wire through all the buttons and then solder that one wire into any of the ‘ground’ options in that picture? (lets say for example, i solder it onto the ground for the ‘select’ button).

thank you for your time. you could probably tell i have very little idea of what i am talking about. id also like to thank everyone who posts on this board because the information i found on the other threads were very helpful.

close, that’s actually what i thought at first but it’s the exact opposite

the ground has low voltage. The “buttons” have high voltage. The way a pcb knows when to activate a “button” is that when you press down on a button, your really letting out all the electrons and electricity which causes the “button” side to go low.

why pcb designers do it like that, i’m not really sure myself. Probably because if it was reversed the pcb will never be able to tell if electricity passed through or not, or maybe it’s another reason. I don’t know much about this stuff other than what i just said above(which is really just a quote on from toodles)

as for question 2: Yes. saves up a lot of wiring work and trying to solder all the grounds on the pcb. However some PCBs don’t use a common ground(your soldering onto a PSX PCB so you won’t have to worry about that)

is there a way to tell if a pcb needs a common ground?

thanks for your help btw

your best bet is following the traces.

otherwise just ask/look around the “padhacking” thread. Theres a ton of good info and some very knowledgeable on here that will be more then happy to answer any questions you have about a certain controller.