Currently, there are three teams of X-Men operating around the world. While one group is tracking down the lost diaries of the deceased precog Destiny, and another one is traveling the globe fighting for mutant causes, the team depicted in New X-Men resides in the X-Men’s classic base, Xavier’s Institute of Higher Learning, located near Salem Center. This groups main purpose is to train and educate new students and help them cope with their powers, though they often have to defend a world that hates and fears them, like the other teams as well.
Current Team Members
Wolverine (Logan / James Howlett)
Powers: accelerated cellular regeneration augments his natural strength, speed, agility, endurance, and reflexes, expands his perceptions to give him animal-like senses, and grants him an accelerated healing factor that can stave off poisons, suppress the aging process and repair damages cells and tissue within minutes, three retractable claws made of razor tipped and extremely dense bone extend from each forearm through the back of his hand, adamantium metal has been surgically bonded to his skeleton and claws to make them virtually unbreakable
- Wolverine spends most of his time traveling the globe on both personal missions and those for the X-Men. Occasionally, he works on his own, with the team of international X-Men (in Uncanny X-Men), or with Cyclops’ group. However, it is clear that of all places on the planet, he considers the Xavier Institute his home as that is where he comes to rest.
- The name Logan was given to him by a childhood friend.
Professor Charles Francis Xavier
Powers: enormous mental strength gives him alpha-level telepathic abilities, allowing him to read minds, project his thoughts at others, release his astral form to travel great distances in reality or enter the psychic plane, stun others into paralysis or unconsciousness, and manipulate perceptions, memories and thought processes
- While Xavier has been he driving force behind the X-Men since he conceived them years ago, recent actions by his previously unknown twin sister Cassandra Nova have left him incapacitated. Through her machinations, his body has been swapped for Cassandra’s that, in turn, has been wracked with multiple neurological diseases.
Phoenix IV (Jean Grey-Summers)
Powers: dual psionic potential gives her telepathic abilities to sense, broadcast and detect thought patterns, alter the physical or mental perceptions of others, manipulate the functions of the human body, cast human minds into the astral plane, and telekinetic abilities to levitate herself or other objects, propel or manipulate them however she wishes, stimulate individual molecules to create heat, and generate concussive bursts and protective shields
- Jean is married to Cyclops, but their marriage has recently become strained by the darker personality of her husband.
- In recent months Phoenix incredible high power levels, and seems to be on the way to evolve into Phoenix on her own without being bonded to the Phoenix Force. Her teammates are starting to get worried.
- Jean was named headmistress for the Xavier Institute in Xaviers absence.
Cyclops (Scott Summers)
Powers: absorb ambient energy from his environment (such as sunlight and electricity) and store it within his bodys cells, metabolizing the energy in order to open a dimensional aperture through his eyes to unleash an exotic form of energy as heatless blasts of concussive force
- Cyclops was the first X-Men and has long been Xavier’s greatest advocate and defender.
- Recently Cyclops was merged with Apocalypse. While they have been separated, Cyclops has been changed by the experience. Now tainted by the malevolence of Apocalypse, he has grown darker and more ruthless.
Beast (Henry Phillip McCoy)
Powers: de-evolutionary regressive mutation gives him enormous physical mass, superhuman strength, speed, agility, endurance, reflexes, dexterity and intelligence, cat-like vision, enhanced hearing and sense of smell, accelerated healing abilities, thick blue fur, razor sharp fangs and claws on his fingers and toes
- Hank McCoy has a doctorate in genetics and is a world renowned scientist.
- For a reason not currently understood Beast has gone through a “secondary mutation”, changing his appearance from ape-like to cat-like.
- Beast has made a startling discovery. Due to what he calls an E-Gene humanity has no less than five generations before they are extinct, leaving mutants as the dominant species on the planet.
White Queen I (Emma Frost)
Powers: transmorph capable of morphing between an organic diamond state with indestructible skin or a regular human body with telepathic abilities, enabling her to read and project thoughts, plant illusions in the minds of others, and release her astral form
- Emma is a former enemy of the X-Men and opposed them several times as part of the Hellfire Club. However the death of her former students the Hellions, made Emmy see the error of her ways. She served as an instructor for Generation X and continued that profession in Genosha. After the events at Genosha, Emma joined the Xavier Institute to continue as instructor there.
- Like Beast, Emma has undergone a “secondary mutation”, triggered by being on Genosha when the island was under attack and about 16 million people died around her. She is now capable to transforming her body into a form of organic diamond.
- Emma cant use her two different powers at once.
Allies and Supporting Cast
Powers : possesses a microscopic star inside his skull which has consumed the rest of his head and shifted his consciousness to an astral plane while enabling him to harness its power as brilliant cascades of light, incinerating blasts of stellar energy, bio-forces which can heal the bodies of living organisms, and gravitronic emissions that manipulate gravity fields, or reverse the principles of his power to create a black hole which absorbs matter and energy into its event horizon
- Xorn is chinese. When his mutant powers manifested the regime of his country found him too dangerous and a holding cell was built all around him. Xorn was imprisoned there for over fifty years until the X-Men learned of his existence and rescued him.
Beak (Barnell Bohusk)
Powers : bird-like mutation gives him heightened agility, a beaked nose, finger talons, and wings that fold up along his arms and allow limited flight
- Beak is from the Netherlands.
Powers : insect mutation gives her the ability to spew acidic goo from her throat cavity and membrane wings that allow her to fly or can generate ultrasonic harmonics by vibrating her wings at high speeds
- After being thrown out of her home by her stepfather for being a mutant, Angel was captured by the U-Men. She was rescued by Wolverine and taken to the Xavier Institute where she is a reluctant student at best. She detests all of the other students, claiming that they all think that they are perfect and special.
Stepford Cuckoos (Esme and four others)
Powers: five telepathic mutants able to merge their psychic power into a “supermind” that amplifies their own energy levels
- The five Stepford Cuckoos girls, apparently sisters, all seem to have brilliant minds, especially for their age. However, once together they have psychic powers, the full extent of which has not been seen. These abilities will no doubt grow as Emma Frost has taken the five girls as her pet project.
Powers: telepathy, psychokinesis, hyper-regenerative powers, intangibility, generates psi-armor, heat bursts
- Cassandra was to be Xaviers twin sister but was killed by him in the womb. She was born without a body, and recreated herself from unneeded tissue of Xavier. In her twisted way, Cassandra believes only Xavier to be a real person, as if they still were fighting within the womb, only that this womb is now the entire universe.
- Cassandra has let the X-Men believe her defeated and took over Xaviers body right under their eyes. She also created nano-Sentinels that have infected most of the people living in Xaviers mansion.