The most important tip for starting players

I noticed this in one of the stickies above, but somehow I have a feeling that people don’t like to read those. I’m not that great of a player, but I just wanted to point this out since it’s so important, and because this is also a tip that applies to all walks in life:

Never overlook the importance of properly learning and maintaining solid fundamentals.

I am sure that many will agree that in fighting games, the most fundamental of fundamentals is execution. If your execution sucks, even if you advance your matchup knowledge, you won’t be at your best potential, and your sloppiness will become more and more apparent as you try to reach for higher levels of performance.

and when you are learning more complex combos, never overlook the value of still keeping it basic when you learn: break down complex combos into a series of shorter movements before stringing them together and to learn not to be cocky and say “ok, time to put it together” so quickly. And even when you finally get a firm grip, never forget to dedicate some time to maintaining it.

Just wanted to point this out because I know some starting players that keep playing and hope to get better. while it’s obvious to everyone that execution is important, it’s clear that hasn’t translated into seriously trying to improve it for some players.

Though I agree execution is important, you should know that the term “fundamentals” generally does not refer to execution. Spacing, footsies, the ground game, tick throws, etc are usually lumped together as fundamentals, as they are pretty much consistently in every game something that is important. Whereas obviously FADC > ultra is not.

I actually kind of view it as a failure of the newbie forum that execution and arcade sticks are focused on so heavily and the real meat of the game is not, but truth is, more newbies ask execution and stick related questions than anything else.

Thanks for reading the stickies though! =) Although it’s easy to get the impression that no one reads them due to the shear volume of people posting basic questions that are already answered in them, there is no real way to measure the amount of people who read them and then don’t post a question. The number of views makes me hopeful that at least someone is using them.

Umm… Get used to losing?

yeah that’s true, those are all very real fundamentals of street fighter. i guess what i’m getting at is that with execution, it’s easy to build up bad habits that might be very hard to correct since it goes in your muscle memory, while it’s a bit easier to adjust footsies or spacing under conscious control. so in that sense, execution is one of the fundamentals that are more difficult to correct when you build up the wrong habits.

thanks for the reply dude. and yeah, i do see a lot of execution and stick questions. probably because people see it as the most immediate issue players have with playing.

No one’s going to have a chance in hell of learning footsies or zoning when starting out, especially since they’re reliant on arbitrary invisible hitboxes and framedata and projectiles respectively.

The bare starting point, in SF4 at least, is learning a blockstring, learning AA normals, and learning to fucking block.

*I’m not a newbie anymore but when I first started to really “learn” the game I didn’t practice on my execution past my bread and butter combo’s and simple punish combo’s in small stints. In fact I actually practiced on my patience, utilizing my normals and learning how to block correctly. I found it really easy to improve on my execution (something that I’m still practicing on) and my fundamentals are alright like spacing, footsies etc. Personally I appreciate being able to frustrate good opponents just by playing solid footsies and punishing their hasty efforts to try and catch me off guard. Though one thing I have been a bit deficient at is to improve on is smarter offensive initiative to balance my playstyle.

Even though this is the newbie section I think it’s imperative to promote balance when trying to improve as a new player as you feel out new strategies, how to approach things, training etc. *

I agree to an extent.
I’ll go on to add…

Do Not Neglect Your Normals.

People are throwing out specials all day and then get absolutely clueless in a footsies, poke, or other similar situation.
Calm the fuck down… take a deep breath… land them normals.

I beg to differ. though it wasn’t a SF, I’ve played a cousin of mine in FGs who could do footsies pretty well. in fact, i’d say with practice in a short amount of time, he could’ve been as good as I was at it during that time. it’s a pretty instinctive thing

#1 thing is spacing, at all levels of play

especially for a new player

figure out the ranges of your attacks and where your character’s sweet spot is, and learn how to keep at that range or farther

learning footsies, execution, mind games, all of that takes a backsteat to spacing. without proper spacing you wont get a chance to apply fundamentals or combos or…anything

you’re just going to get a train run on you and left wondering wtf just happened

Yeah i have been in situations where i was at a loss for words as to what just happened to me. (Feeling like a total noob right now) Especially against people like Dictator i just dont know what happens before its to late or later!

Agreeing that spacing is most important.

I think a huge thing almost all new players overlook is knockdowns and everything related to them including momentum, wakeup, mixup, etc. Most new players don’t even notice when they knock someone down. They don’t know a knockdown is an advantage and they don’t realize they’re at a disadvantage when they are knocked down. Most of the new people I play with on weekends’ game essentially is jump around randomly with random specials and do bread and butter combos as blockstrings, including ones that end in unsafe specials. When they get knockdowns they either back up and let the other player stand up, stand there doing nothing, or sometimes they will jump in and do their “bread and butter blockstring”. When they actually pressure after a knockdown I think it’s just a random choice they made and not based on the knockdown. I’m convinced many new players don’t even notice knockdowns based on watching them play.

If you focus primarily on execution and landing combos, you’re going to basically just do jump-ins and hope your opponent stops blocking for no reason so that your combo connects. If you don’t learn spacing, zoning, footsies, and how to actually mix people up you’re probably never going to get a chance to hit a good player with the combos you have been focusing so much on.

execution is a fundamental skill that should not be focused on exclusively, but what i’m saying is that one of the first steps you gotta take is to figure out how to do stuff like double quarter circle forwards and dashes or whatever first. a player shouldn’t focus just on execution though because like you said, you are just hoping they will stop blocking randomly so you can land a combo, which is the wrong mindset. i just feel like it’s one of the first steps a player should take, and be sure to take it correctly (because it’s easy to build bad execution habits that show glaringly later on if they aren’t fixed) BUT they should not get stuck on that phase, because to really win you need the skill of spacing, etc, as you guys talk about.

Learn how to block properly, and to not resort to always hitting buttons when getting pressured.

I think just having a critical mind is the most important. Someone can tell you “learn footsies”, but I’ll bet if you picked a random sample of 20 SRK posters and asked them what footsies meant, you’d get a variety of conflicting answers. How do you work on your basics when you aren’t really sure what skills constitute basics? Lots of people don’t ask the question “what are footsies/basics?” I had a fundamental misunderstanding of both concepts for years and am just really learning to play the game now.

I am actually going to change my answer to what pherai said

Not the most fundamental, but close is knowing how to cancel. Once you learn how to cancel norals/specials into ultra’s you have a better chance of connecting with said ultra then just throwing it out randomly.

Also, learn what the hell a hitbox is.

Nope

The most important tip for starting players

Rome wasn’t built in a day, don’t expect to become as good as Daigo, Justin Wong, Ryan Hart or any number of high level players overnight. Have fun playing the game with a character you like, who fits your style.

This. Like I said in a topic like this a while back, learning how to block properly and being defensive is the first thing you should learn. You can be taught how to rush, but not how to block.

Learn that and you’re on your way to being a good SF player.

You can be taught how to block too, it just takes practice.