The Newbie Saikyo Dojo FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions, Answered!

Hello and welcome to the Newbie Saikyo Dojo! You’ll find this forum to be a great tool for asking your questions about Street Fighter, other fighting games or just the message board in general. In an effort to help our fledgling members (or maybe veterans who have some basic questions as well), I’ve decided to compile a list of frequently asked questions for easy reference.

Please note that this is not by any means an end-all resource - if you happen to post a topic that’s already covered in this FAQ I don’t want other forum members to point to the FAQ and ridicule someone for not reading it. However, I feel that this would be a great place to let some people start, and if it might answer some basic questions for our members it could alleviate a little of the new topic flow in the Newbie Saikyo Dojo. Remember that no question is too basic for the Dojo!

First things first, lets post a great link!

http://www.shoryuken.com/faq.php

This is a direct link to SRKs master list of great information, including rules and regulations, common Q&As, general forum usage and other useful information. Check here if youve got questions about the way the forum operates, or if youre unsure as to the rules of the forums. Ill go over a few things to get you started, but the aforementioned FAQs have much more detailed information for you!

Hello! My name’s {Insert Name Here} and I’m new! Let me introduce myself…

Let me be the first to say, “Welcome to SRK!” This is a great forum that has loads of useful information and resources for anything fighting game - from the casual player to the hardcore tournament champion, there’s something for everyone! We appreciate having you as a member of this forum, but unfortunately we don’t really have a forum for simple introductions. While it is not against the rules to make a thread introducing yourself, your best bet for making new friends would be to either simply post in topics with beneficial or helpful information or to check out our Regional Matchmaking section for other players near you! (More on various sections later) You can also use the Profile Updater to write some information about yourself. But please try to refrain from making new topics dedicated solely to introduction. My saying is this: “Let your post quality talk for you!”

I’m embarrassed! I don’t want to post because I’ll be made fun of…

I know this isn’t really a question but it’s a much more common attitude than you’d expect. And to you, new poster, don’t be! There’s absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Everybody starts somewhere, everyone was new once, and everyone has questions. Youve done the right thing by posting in the Newbie Saikyo Dojo, and the other members are here only to help you, not to make fun of you.

Some people on SRK seem really mean. What gives?

SRK is a unique website in a few ways, not the least of which is its user base. It is home to some of the best fighting game players around the world, not just in Street Fighter but in every fighter imaginable. This user base is also one thats been around for a long time. Theyve answered every question, theyve seen every match-up, theyve tackled every challenging combo in other words, theyre veterans. However, keep in mind that fighting games are a very competitive genre, one that thrives on hot-bloodedness and intensity. Spending a Sunday afternoon with your grandmother teaching you how to play Scrabble is much different than SRK. Here there be dragons.

Having said that, always keep in mind that a lot of these other posters are much better than you at fighting games. Does this give them the right to be inhuman or rude? Not really, but it happens nonetheless. This is the internet, after all. To best avoid the wrath of fellow SRK members, just do the following:

[list]Always follow the forum rules, even the common sense ones. Youll avoid a lot of heartache if you dont break any rules, heartache which may be dished out by moderators and fellow members alike.[/list]

[list]Be nice, even when others arent. Try to be courteous and respectful to other members. Youre not the best Blanka theyve ever seen, so dont act high and mighty or you will be squashed down quickly and harshly.[/list]

[list]Post things in the right forum. This is a big one. You dont know how quickly people will ridicule you if you post in the wrong forum. Thats not to say you should be scared about ever posting, but always read ahead, make sure the forum youre in is correct for your topic or post, and then go ahead.[/list]

Dont let this section scare you away from posting. SRK can be a wonderful resource once you get accustomed to the rough and tumble of it all. Just imagine SRK as one of those old west saloons the stranger who busts through the swinging wooden doors always causes everyone else, including the honky tonk piano player, to turn their attention. Its your choice, stranger, whether you want to buy a round of whiskey for everyone or get shot where you stand. (My apologies for this corny analogy)

Street Fighter IV looks like fun should I buy it?

The quick answer is: Yes! SFIV (the abbreviation for Street Fighter IV) is a very popular game thats bringing fighters back into the limelight. The creators of the game have stated its a great starting point for new players, and a great stepping stone if youd ever like to tackle more challenging fighters. Of course your personal preference will always be a factor, but taking into account the continued success and popularity of the title youre sure to get your moneys worth. And with Super SFIV just around the corner youll need the practice!

Should I buy an arcade stick?

The short answer is: Yes! The long answer is: If youre sincere about playing fighting games at a more serious level than you currently do, yes! Of course it always comes down to preference, but 99 out of 100 pro fighting game players will agree, theres no better way to play than with a stick. The control, precision, ease of command entry and technique enabling all make a stick a worthwhile investment to the serious fighting fanatic. Even if youre a semi-casual, sorta-pro player there are options out there for cheaper sticks that you can start with. Keep in mind, learning stick is not an overnight process youll most likely have to unlearn and relearn a lot of things, but the final outcome will most certainly be worth it.

But what about this controller? Isnt it better than stick?

The short answer is: No. Sticks will nearly always be a better investment and idea for you to use in fighting games. Thats not to say its impossible to achieve greatness with a pad there are some high level players who can use a pad successfully. But as I said, many, many pros will recommend stick and if you ever want to upgrade your game to the next level, its the way to go.

Alright, Ive got a stick, a copy of SFIV and I learned how to hadoken! Im ready to take on the pros! right?

Not so fast, skippy! Theres something youre forgetting practice! And youll need lots of it if youre planning on taking on the big guns in any fighting game. My quick advice is this:

[list]Spend time in Training Mode! Dont just learn the special moves, but learn the normal attacks too! Learn your ranges, the power of your moves, and your characters other abilities. Learn combos and practice them until theyre second nature. Learn specials and know when to use them and when NOT to! Once youre done practicing, practice some more! You can never train too much.[/list]

[list]Play with friends, preferably locally! Try to find some friends (or make some friends) who are local to you with whom you can play your favorite fighting game(s). Practice with them, learn from them and have them give you tips. If you dont have anyone nearby you can play with, play online to practice. Online play can be a lot of fun, but be aware that lag is unavoidable and in fighting games some timing must be so precise and so spot-on that even a hint of lag can really mess you up. Dont rely on Online play as your only practice if you can help it![/list]

[list]Keep at it! There will be times youll get discouraged or downtrodden, especially when you get beaten badly (and you will get beaten badly a lot). Keep your chin up, keep practicing and just know that even if you dont feel like youre getting better, you are. Work at it and you can beat em down with the best of em![/list]

I plan on writing a rather lengthy article about players attempting to jump the hurdle from casual to semi-competitive play at some point, and when I do Ill include a link to that here.

What are some good resources for material that can help my game?

[list]David Sirlins Playing to Win This is a great resource for anyone who wants to become a champion at any competitive game, not just fighting games. It has great information about where to start, getting over hurdles, dealing with sore losers and training yourself to be a winner. Excellent and entertaining read if I do say so myself, and you can either purchase his book or read the whole thing on his website! In fact, Sirlins got a lot of great resources for starters on his website so I recommend giving it a look![/list]

[list]More to come[/list]

I plan on updating this FAQ quite a bit (that is, if people feel it has a place here), so in any replies to this topic please feel free to add your suggestions for new FAQ items or changes I should make. Thanks!

Reserved for future updates.

Do you mind some constructive criticism? (I’ll edit this out if the FAQ ends up taking off.)

As much as it would probably be helpful to have a FAQ here, it seems like everything answered here isn’t really relevant to noobie strategy or answers a questions that isn’t frequently asked. As I understand it, the whole point of the noobie dojo is to 1) provide a place for noobie questions pertaining to fighting games and/or the fighting game scene 2) help people ease into SRK’s somewhat abrasive culture. Only a small portion of what you wrote really pertains to that.

Like the whole section on how to use SRK takes up a lot of space and deals with issues most people don’t seem too confused by. The “should I buy sf4” question seems, well… nobody really asks that.

Parts that I think are good though:

• don’t make introductions
  • should I get a stick? (though consider renaming it to stick or arcade stick; the term “fight stick” doesn’t sit well with a lot of people)
  • the stick vs pad bit
  • how to level up

If you could make it more focused it could probably be helpful though. Also, remember, people have a short attention span. People on the internet have no attention span.

Starcade, I do really appreciate the criticism. I’ve never really written an FAQ before and as this is my first attempt I figured it would need a little work posthumously…

I realize I took a little too many liberties with the FAQ, and can probably trim a lot of fat. I was figuring this would be an FAQ not just for the Dojo itself but for people new to the website as well. But if that “starter info” is unneeded / covered elsewhere, I’ll trim it out.

As for the SFIV bit, you’d be surprised how many times I’ve run into this exact question. Perhaps not their own topics, but many people ask it - I wouldn’t be surprised if some folks made accounts here simply to ask that. Plus the bit about IV being a “stepping stone” is kinda useful info for new players… IMO at least.

I’ll edit the stick bit, and actually I was planning on writing something about SRK’s abrasive nature as a way to sort of “warn” newbies.

Thanks for the criticism, and sorry 'bout the FAQ being… not up to par. Any suggestions you have for other questions or topics to cover in it would be great though - I can keep this updated, if anyone else would want it.

Links to sirlin’s books/sf2 tutorials, good ponder articles stuff like that. There’s good advice here about attitude and the website itself but very little info on games themselves

Hey whats up I’ve been playing SFIV a lot I’m trying to hone my skills. But my question is when would be the best time to focus cancel? When fighting opponents would it be best to cancel when your about to perform a combo? My other question is how do you cancel out of the focus? I’ve done it a couple of times and you push forward or backwards in which way you want to move.

hey great advice up top, I just started playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 recently, and I can do some simple combos in training mode, but I was wondering how to start this combos in an actual match… whenever I try to, I either get blocked or cant perform the entire combo fast enough… any advice???