The NIS / ATLUS games thread (Disgaea, Persona, etc)

Did a search, came up with zippo for NIS / ATLUS games or even a JRPG thread. I definitely think these games deserve their own thread.

I haven’t really gotten into too many ATLUS games (yet), so I’m just going to post my little story about NIS games.

My first encounter with NIS games was when I was younger and browsing Slackers for a RPG, nothing really caught my eye, so I just grabbed Phantom Brave since it looked slightly interesting, wasn’t expecting much out of it at the time, but holy shiiit was it an eye opener. Total now I’ve dumped 200 hours+ into that game alone (a good 50 of it is just nostalgia replays).

Stopped playing NIS games for a while when I got my PS3, got into more casual games (FPS, Action-Adventure), the fact that there were no next gen NIS games probably contributed to my hiatus.

So just the other day I was browsing my games collection and passed my NIS section, and then I realized that Disgaea 3 and Crossedge are out now. Going to go nab them up sometime soon. Probably start with Disgaea 3 then Crossedge, hyped as hell.

Every NIS game I touch I end up clearing mostly all endgame content for.

Heres my list of NIS games played (in that order):

Phantom Brave
Makai Kingdom
Disgaea
Disgaea 2

So yeah, post about your experiences and old / current / new games!

Video Game General 3.0 - You know what should come back? Pre-rendered backgrounds!
Video Game General - The road to E3...You're fanboy and you know it!

I just purchased Mana Khemia 2 today. I had no idea what the game was, I bought it because the cover is pretty.

I have Phantom Brave, but I couldn’t get into it. Might try later this week.

Want to pick up Persona 3: FES, but can’t find them locally, will probably buy on ebay.

I have SMT:N. I can’t stand the combat system so I quit 10 hours in.

The only NIS property I was into for any amount of time was the Disgaea series. I bought the first one on launch day and I was hooked for the longest while, but the sequel never really stuck with me mainly because I hated the game’s entire cast (no Gordon, no point). But when 3 was coming out I found myself a little more excited this time around so I picked it up, finished it, but never really bothered with much when it came to endgame material because I guess by this point I was just tired of the formula. Only other NIS title aside from the Disgaea games I’ve played was Phantom Brave which keep me interested for long.

As for Atlus games, I really enjoy a fair share of the Shin Megami Tensei games and I guess like most North American audiences I became notified of the Persona series upon the release of 3, which I promptly picked up. As much as I enjoyed that I have to say I enjoyed 4 even more for reasons I can’t explain and am now eagerly awaiting Persona for PSP later in September. Speaking of which, Atlus is doing a good job of convincing me to buy P3 for the third time assuming it’s PSP release comes our way.

Awesome, a Nis / Atlus thread.

I’m pretty much a huuuge fan of all their games.

Let’s see … I have … Disgaea 1 through 3, Persona 3 / Persona 3 FES + Persona 4, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, Grim Grimoire, Odin Sphere, Soul Nomad, Mana Khemia (Planning on picking up Mana Khemia 2 sometime soon), Ar Tonelico 1 + 2, Magna Carta, aaaand Cross Edge.

Planning on getting Disgaea 2 on the PSP, as well as DL’ing all of the DLC for Cross Edge + Disgaea 3 (Pleinarrrr~ <3)

I’d have to say Odin Sphere was one of my all time favorite games, just amazing.

Same with the Persona series, the stories of both 3 + 4 really grab your attention.

I’ve only played and beaten Disgaea 1 & 2, but I’ve also got P3 and P4 sitting around, waiting for me to continue them.

Only game I liked from Atlus was Demikids and that’s because I’m a creature rpg fanatic.

Most NIS games piss me off because they are mind numbing when it comes to story and none of them have any uniqueness to them. If you’ve played one NIS SRPG you’ve played them all.

I love Atlus games, P3 is my favorite game ever at this point in time. I really need to get round to starting a New Game+ sometime soon

Games I have so far are:

Disgaea (PS2/need to rebuy it for the PSP, disc broke apart)
Disgaea 2 (PS2) - Will buy the PSP version
Disgaea 3 (PS3)
Persona 4 (PS2)
Odin Sphere (PS2) - :lovin:
Maki Kingdom (PS2)
Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica (PS2)
Cross Edge (PS3)
Stella Deus (PS2)

wow i didnt even know about cross edge… might have to pick that up.

i try to stay away from the rpgs cause they are very crack to me, but usually when NIS/Atlus drops somethin, i gotta cop. im actually afraid of fuckin with disgaea 3 again cause the last time i did, i lost MANY hours of my life powerlvling and exploiting the brokenness.

odin sphere was a beautiful game, drop dead gorgeous and i wish i could have loved it… but the dialogue/story was SO awful that it actually demotivated me from playing. most horrible dialogue ever, even when i set voices to japanese and had to read word bubbles.

I am a NIS fan too, ones i’ve beaten are

Disgaea 1
Disgaea 2
Disgaea 3 (I’ve actually done all the post game stuff for this one)
Makai Kingdom (Probably my favorite)

Soul Nomad is one of their better games to me, nor does it play like Disgaea.

Also yeah, Disgaea 2 psp Will be great

I wasn’t a fan of Ar Tonelico 2 though, couldn’t get into it.

Atlus wise, I played Devil Survivor last, that was a pretty good game.

Disgaea 1 and 2 are pretty fun. Disgaea 3 however… bleh.
I also kind of liked that one game with the main character called Prier. I think she was a violent, foul-mouthed nun or some shit. Good times.

Can’t wait for dat Muramasa. Pretty.

Disgaea 3 is the first NIS/Atlus game I’ve ever played but as you can tell from the “currently playing” thread I’m enjoying the heck out of it. :tup:

No mention at all of Persona 2, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Nocturne?

Shame on all of you :nono:

That reminds me, I still need to play through Innocent Sin. I have it on my PC but I stopped playing it for a while. I own Eternal Punishment and Nocturne, plus P3, P3 FES and P4. Looking forward to Persona PSP…I played the original, but my memory of that game is hazy. Only things I remember is that Mark wasn’t supposed to be black, and the toilet demons shouldn’t be messed with.

Any Ogre Battle fans here? Did we forget that Atlus was responsible for bringing those games here? I wish we got more OB games since the series technically isn’t done, but alas, the OB team is with Square Enix now, and the creator isn’t even with the company anymore (I think).

I’m sorry :sad:

Anyone here watch Giant Bomb’s Persona 4 Endurance Run? I’ve been watching it for months now, and it’s good entertainment. Lots of laughs. :lol:

I wonder how many more sales Atlus made because of the Endurance Run.

wtf is NIS? why are you putting it anywhere near atlus? were all these otakus even born when rev: persona came out on psx? cause none of you fools were buying it then.

Nippon itchi studios, the people behind the Disgea series and I think the relationship to atlus is a few of their games being published by them or something (or is it the other way round, not completely clued up on it, but I think it was something like that)

On a slightly related note, I miss Working Designs and their ridiculous packaging… ;_;

Agreed :sad: