The official Cthulhu and ChImp thread - Try our new Dreamcast flavor!

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/order.html

if i remember correctly i think his outta stock on somethings right now but not sure at the moment.

Toodles told me he move last week and has been without internet. He said he will start back shipping items tomorrow.

I’d also like to find thorough guide as well. I plan on getting a ChimpSMD for my brawlstick, but the process of installing it bewilders me. Some people say you HAVE to solder, some people say you don’t. Some people post short 4 step guides on how to cut and screw the wires but most of what I read just sounds like gibberish to a modding noob like myself. Are there no Fisher-Price level tutorials with pictures and thorough steps anywhere?

Okay it says “dreamcast flavor” . My question is how do I access this flavor?Can a DC cord be put on like a playstation 2 cord?Do you need a ps2 to DC converter? I’ve googled and looked on the first page here but I can’t seem to find anything.

Can someone just point me in the right direction.

Yes, you put a DC cable on like a PS2 cable. The pinout is as follows:

Seriously thank you so much!

I checked the FAQ and I didn’t see anything specifically about this so I apologize in advance if it’s covered somewhere and I missed the link. I’m looking for a walkthrough or even just quick set of instructions on just dropping in an MC Cthulhu into a PS3 TE. I’m not dual modding it, I just need the PS3 and multiconsole support (am planning on throwing an RJ45 jack in there, will not be using this stick on 360 at all). I think it should be pretty straight forward but if there’s any helpful documentation out there I’d love to see it because it couldn’t hurt. All of the other walkthroughs around here I’ve found have been for using the imp + 360 board which won’t be necessary in my case. Thanks for any help.

Inside of this sticky thread that you should always look into before asking:

You can find this thread:

I’ve actually been reading that thread for how to set up the RJ 45 jack. I was more looking to find an instruction set on the wiring of the buttons and stick directions to the Cthulhu on a drop in rather than using the imp in addition. It’s something I can probably figure out, but as I said a tutorial I could read while waiting for my parts would be very helpful. Again, I apologize if this part of my question is answered in that thread but from what I’ve read that only really covers installation of the RJ-45 jack.

EDIT: Reading my original post above, I can definitely see that it wasn’t clear exactly what I was looking for. I apologize for that.

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html#CUSTOM_PCBS

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html#TERMINALS_AND_CRIMPING

With the exception of the Home button, you won’t have to do any soldering.

That looks like exactly what I need, I’ll start reading over that tonight. Thank you!

EDIT: One last question that’s a little more general. Is it best to daisy chain the grounds as they are shown there, or can I throw multiple individual wires into the MC Cthulhu ground terminals? The latter would obviously be easiest given how the TE is wired already.

You can but there is a limit to how many wires can be shoved into a MCC ground screw terminal. It will be easier if you keep the terminal block there and use a splice tap to get the ground to go to your MC Cthulhu. Just put this on one of the known ground wires and have the outgoing wire go to the MCC.

You can do either. Doesn’t make any difference.

Awesome, thank you guys for all of the help! I haven’t done any electronics based projects in a long time so I’m trying to do all of the research I can to gear up for this.

Hi there. I’m thinking about buying a Toodles ChImp Board for my SE stick. my main problem i am planning out is where to place the chimp board with the SE stick being so compact. the two ideas I thought of was to either stack it above or below the madcatz PCB (replacing the pillars with wood). or place it where the terminal strip is and rewire the buttons so that a terminal strip is not needed. which is best?

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1800/dsc0388111111111111111df1.jpg

I would probably go with the latter. I think it may also fit vertically against the wall. As far as Compact, there is more room in the SE than the TE.
There is plenty of room to stick a ChImp.

If you want to see compact, you should see the Wii Sized stick I made below that is Multi System and Xbox dual modded. That is compact.
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/rtdzign/MiniStick/th_1cfe65bf.jpg http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/rtdzign/MiniStick/th_TEvsMiniSizeComparison.jpg

ChimpSMD is an option, sure. The big question is what shows up in the Game Controllers applet when you plug it in normally, and what shows up when you plug it in with the button combination to force xbox held down.

Im guessing you already answered that for yourself. :slight_smile: Your box is on the way.

If you dont want to get a whole new board, getting an upgrade chip is an option. I’ll do my best to get it added to the order page asap.

Isn’t that what you asked for? Either way, there is no step by step guide for ChimpSMD+Brawlstick.

I have plenty of the 5mm pitch ones (Cthulhu size) but I dont think I have enough of the 3.50mm pitch (PiiWee, LED Controller) to put them up. Let me know what you’re trying to do and I’ll either get something together or link you to Digikey parts for it.

Nah, Instructables.com sucks now. Too much hassle, not enough ‘meat’. Hit up rtdzign’s RJ-45 thread for the guide quoted by Nerrage.

Im sorry about the delay and my lack of presence here over the past week. Tuesday was when the movers took everything to the new House, internet wasnt on until Saturday while I was at Devastation, and I just got back yesterday. You should have already received the notice with the delivery conf number last night, and if you check the tracking, you’ll see it’s been accepted by the post office and is on its way to you. Barring freak accidents, plagues, locusts, frogs, pestillence or tornados, there shouldn’t ever be a delay like that again.

Nope.

1. Same as the other consoles; add a cord.
  2. Yup.
  3. Well, that’s an option, but just adding the cord is better.
    I do agree that the wiring information needs to be more visible though. Ill see what I can do about that.

Totally got the email! Thanks and no worries about the delay. Appreciate the awesome work! Nobody else is hookin’ it up like you.

In both cases it now shows up as a MadCatz stick (XBox mode). When I PMd you it was unrecognized USB device and when I pressed jab, strong and fierce it would go into Xbox mode. Now though, punches or not, it goes into Xbox mode. Thanks for bearing with me.