The Optical Joystick Discussion

u didnt have to solder the wire optical to ur Pcb. the best options is use the both wires from imp -+v5 wire both into MC V5 spot with ur optical wire too and u should be fine. or wire from 360 pcb v5 and MC too into v5 spot and optical wire and u should be ok.

I know is one of those u need to do. After all u do have dual mod. So 360 and MM pcb’s need to be connected with Optical wire to work.

Hey sorry man, but i’m not really understanding what all you’re trying to explain for me to do.

let me put in short term Optical wire has to be wired to MC board and 360 pcb. It will not work if is wired to 360 pcb only.

I understand that concept. So what’s the best way to do that though? Because originally the JLF was only hooked up to the 360 PCB. And all I did was cut the wire harness from the JLF and put all 5 of those wires ( Ground, Up, Down, Left, Right) to a wire terminal and added 5V, exactly how JDM’s diagram shows it.

I would try swapping out your optical back to the jlf to make sure it isn’t something that got messed up with the dual mod.

Does your MC cthulhu have screw terminals? If so, try hooking up the optical to the points there, it’s a lot more straight forward than using a separate terminal IMO.

Pictures would also be helpful.

I’ll try and take some pictures tonight. Just need to find my camera charger. The only way I’m going to get the JLF to work now is with a new harness. As I cut the wires off at the end.

Heres my opitcal set-up

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/rockabilly7777777/DSC02340.jpg

Hey I have a couple questions, I wanted to mount the ASCII optical stick I have into my TE stick. The problem is the mounting plate from the JLF wont screw into the ASCII case, not sure what im supposed to do exactly.

You need the nuts.
In the black Base is where the M3 nuts would go.

But where is your question?
Laugh.

No what im saying is the screws from the jlf mounting plate wont screw into the ASCII black base, like they would into a jlf black base. black base being the part of the stick that house the joy stick pcb. im talking about the 4 mounting screws on the jlf plate to the black base

Yes, the nuts.

Yep you gotta dig the m3 nuts out of your JLF base, and maybe clean off the loctite that might be on them.

I dual mod my ascii , rj45 jack is hooked up for old systems and I also have a usb port for 360/ps3. When I use the ps1 cable I only get 3.3v to power the optical, I need help where to put the step up converter and is it possible to place the converter on points G,V on the cthulhu?

I noticed sometimes on the trading outlet, someone would sell an Ascii Optical that has been retrofitted with JLF parts. What exactly are the advantages to doing this? Reason being is because I want to get some sort of optical for my project, but I’m not sure if I will leave it as is or have it modified with JLF parts for athestics such as shaft covers and etc.

On the Dreamcast Ascii sticks the shafts are shorter. The Ascii spring is different between the different versions of sticks. I recently got a PS1 Ascii Joystick and the shaft is longer and the spring stiffer. A different Ascii I got had the shorter shaft and lighter spring.

JLF is getting what you know for a consistent feel. Ascii gates are Octagon by default as well. Most people prefer square.

The ascii base and gate has circle pegs and holes for the gates to snap on while the JLF has an ovaloid pegs. So a JLF gate will fin on a Ascii but an Ascii gate won’t fit on a JLF base. It is moot because you can swap the inner rings on both of the gates.

I just picked up a Capcom version Ascii DC stick and I want to appropriate the Flash clone inside. I gather most people replace the parts with Sanwa. Two questions to that effect:

1.) What all can be replaced? Everything but the PCB…?

2.) Are standard JLF parts used for the replacing?

Thx!!

1. You can replace literally everything on the ASCII Answer (Optical) with Sanwa parts except the black joystick body, the PCB, and the plastic and rubber ring set. The last two you wouldn’t find on a regular Sanwa JLF anyway and the former can’t be replaced because if you do, the ASCII Answer (Optical) PCB won’t fit. Not like that matters, the black body aside from being made from a different (but still just as durable) plastic is functionally and aesthetically very similar to a JLF body.

2. Yeah, all standard Sanwa JLF parts are used to replace everything.

Many thanks, Ikagi! Now to embark on this project (putting the ASCII inside a RAP VLX-SA)…

Speed Box

Some of you may have seen this. I thought it was interesting:

An unreleased, prototype optical joystick for Sega Genesis:

ebay item # 110566811219

So, did that thing use a HAPP?

I must say… innovative use of vinyl artwork on a stick in the early-mid-90s. Too bad it was never released. It could have changed the course of the industry, our hobby, etc.

That is cool.
I want that thing.
But the price of it though. :sad: