The Outrageous Newbie Thread (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE)

of course of course…i should go back to 3D fighters or blazblue, but screw it i’ll learn this damn game anyways

…because it’s really fun! :slight_smile:

honestly i would say so if xiao wasn’t so fucking annoying to learn along with juri -_-

Has anyone come across fighters that glitch when they walk or move? I came across a fighter tonight that basically skipped across the screen and passed through my moves. Is it a connection error or is there a way a fighter can make their characters move faster than the other player. I have also seen this while fighting in SF3 third strike.

Teleportation is most likely a laggy connection between both players

Any Lars players that can help out this dude? Character-specific sections seem to be dead.

Still getting torn up online. I’m having a really hard time getting combos down.

Don’t take online to heart. Not everyone online is playing to be a competitive gamer, so they won’t all play like one. But if combos are your issue, you need to spend more time in practice. In the end, it will boil down to experience. The more experience you have playing the game, the better you will end up doing in the long run.

Does anybody have any advice about what characters would be simple for me to pick up? I never really played Tekken so most of my familiarity is with SF characters. That said, I wouldn’t mind some suggestions about a good first Tekken character to play with. I haven’t had much luck in the finding characters department. I like Chun but have trouble hitting her combos for whatever reason. At this point I am considering just resorting to something really stupid simple like Ryu/Ken. I spent probably six hours in training mode today and as soon as I get into any of the more complex combos I just can’t make them happen, I’m having one hell of a time figuring out what chains and what links, and finding the right moment to hit, some of these combos are ridiculously sensitive to the point where I can’t even get a move connect at all. I seriously spent like 45 minutes trying to do Chun Li’s damnable #11 combo in the challenge mode.

If you’re comfortable with your neutral game, Nina is a strong contender for a beginning tekken character and gets great returns for even her easy-mode combos ( string xx qcb+k > cr.hp xx qbc+k > cr.hp xx qcf+p lol). If you need something more derp, I’d suggest law or Heihachi.

As far as the SF cast goes… Rolento is still pretty strong and not all that hard to pick up. The shoto’s are also decent, with akuma being the best of the three imo.

Also remember to look at the character forums for whoever you pick up. They may not be very active but there IS a wealth of information to be found there… everything from how the character plays to what combo’s you should be practicing.

Is it me or if it really easy to put pressure by jumping and doing easy cross-ups in this game? Very few characters have reliable AA and sometimes (a lot of times) they trade. The only thing i find that works is block (if you guess the crossover correctly) and grab, is this viable. How do other people play against jump happy opponents?

…You’re either playing:
A) version 2012.
B) in lag.
C) against idiots.

Take your pick, there’s very few characters WITHOUT a reliable AA… and a good number of them are invincible in some way.

I’ll probably ask this on his own forum but since it is so dead, does anyone happen to know some reaally basic stuff to focus on first with Lei? His threads are so inundated with knowledge it is hard to pick stuff up for Day 1-5 training.

hmmm…guess im playing against idiots…but the fact that they beat me means im a bigger idiot lol. Thanks tho…i guess i just gotta get used to this game…zoning also seems extremely difficult for some reason.

I’m a total scrub.

I’m playing as Kazuya/Bob at the moment, and all I do are boost combos and special moves. Additionally Contorno Farce and Double Chapati with Bob.

Any suggestions on how slowly expand my ground game? What is a good way to use training mode?

You should practice using your anti airs to force the oponent to play the ground game, if they jump a lot. From this point you need to find the most efective normals for your characters. Know their range, start up, recovery, block advantage etc. I don’t play Kaz often and Bob not at all though, so I can’t say much.
In training mode you can use the record function to record a typical jump in attack and to practice anti airs.

Zoning is somewhat weaker in SFxT than AE imo, this is largely because of the number of ways around/through projectiles available to a large potion of the cast. A few characters can do it well (Alisa, Juri, Raven and Jack-X imo) but you have be be very much on point and ready to convert an AA/poke into 50% health at any time, otherwise the threat of approaching you recklessly isn’t going to give anyone pause when all they need is one jump-in to drain over half your health bar.

As was said, learning to aair effectively is the best overall thing. Especially against players also starting out if you deny their herpderp jumping to get in, they panic and cannot really do much.

Bob is a pretty complex character with a lot going on, but I will start with 1-2 basic things that will do wonders if you are not using them already.

1. His c.lk into cl.mp is a boost that is safe on block AND can be linked with far.lp which is the move he has the most of his options out of. Learn to throw this out a lot for easy pressure if it connects you can boost to launch or go into a solo combo by hitting jab. If you feel up for it, do a jab now and again when blocked and you can either go for gaufrettes punch, fast break, or apres sweep.

2. while Bob is about getting in that ass with far.lp and c.lp, he also has some crazy pokes. Never neglect far.HP, c.mp, and c.mk.

2.5) what are your combos with him like?

1. I see c.lk as crouching light kick, but what is cl.mp (________ medium punch) and then far.lp (away and light punch?)
    Thanks for the idea with jab into GP/FB/AS. Going to practice that in training mode with the computer on random block.

2. Sweet. I actually haven’t been punching much from a distance.

3. Jump in, Double Chapati, crouching mk->crouch hk. Then once they are knocked down, start the Contorno Farce early so the whiff starts before they get up and the first hit gets em.

Thanks for responding!

The computer trounced me with Poison, mainly because I got freaked out by all the jump-in attacks