The Pizza Thread :D

Best place around here is a chain (I know, but seriously) called Tony Sacco’s. They use coal-fired ovens, so the crust is cooked quickly enough to preserve the flavor of the tomato sauce. They use romano and mozzarella cheese with fresh basil, and that’s typically all I get on my pizza there.

There’s another place, a local one called Deluca’s, which does deep-dish pizza. It’s not my favorite style of pizza, but they do it well.

There’s an NY-style pizza joint here in East Lansing called Giorgio’s, and holy fuck is it awful. It’s as if they visited another pizza place and microwaved hours-old leftovers from the garbage.

There’s a pretty good place in Ann Arbor called New York Pizza Department.

Have you eaten at Joe’s Pizza in the Village? One of the few times in my life I’ve wanted to go back into the kitchen and say, “Okay, how did you guys do it?” I ate seven slices there over the course of two consecutive days.

But seriously, to all the NY peeps in this thread, I (a humble Midwester) will readily admit that you guys live in the pizza capital of this country.

From my list of copy-and-pasted recipes:

[spoiler=]2 1/4 teaspoon (1 package) instant dry active yeast
1 cup warm water (not hot)
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3 cups bread flour, or as needed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Add the water, yeast, sugar, and a 1/2 cup of the flour into a mixing bowl. Stir well and let sit for 20 minutes. It will get bubbly.

Add olive oil, salt, and 2 cups of the flour, and mix with a wooden spoon until it’s together enough to turn out on to a lightly floured work surface to knead.

Knead for about 10 minutes, while adding more flour a little at a time, to produce a soft, elastic and slightly sticky dough. Do not add too much flour, just enough to keep it from sticking to the work surface as you knead.

Form the dough into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl. Drizzle a few drops of oil and coat the top of dough to prevent the surface from becoming dry.

Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot for 2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size.

Punch down the dough and divide into 2 balls. If not using right away, place in sealed container and refrigerate. Let dough come up to room temperature before using.[/spoiler]

a pizza by any other name would still taste like shit.

that said, I’m disappointed in my local place. ever since Koreans took over they changed the recipe for the worst. now the cheese is all gummy and when I ask for mushrooms looks like they throw that on like 5 sec before they serve it to me.

hate to say it but Papa Johns and to a lesser extent Pizza Hut it is…

I think it’s a sin that MvC2 be placed next to SvC…
Mortal sin…

Perfection would be a line like this…

MvC2 - Dirty pizza - CvS2 - Hookers - King 13 - More pizza - Third Strike - Pizza… - Super Turbo - General Tso’s chicken/tofu - Guilty Gear AC.

If that was a wall at an arcade, I’d be caught sleeping in the corner.

Now on the other hand… put SvC next to CvS1 and put some Pizza Hut in the middle, and I think there’s enough bad on that side to make perfection.

If we’re talking about a big chain, Pizza Hut is still a pretty good choice but those small hidden pizza joints are really where its at. Having their own oven and making everything from scratch. Home pizza is beast mode too. I’m pretty picky on the crust but I like crusts like pizza hut’s pan crust. That shit is just too irresistible to me.

http://foodfamilyfinds.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/chicago-deep-dish-pizza.jpg

If it isn’t Chicago deep dish, I shoot it nine times in the chest.

Im so hungry now :frowning:

I went to Chicago last month and I can attest that it’s this or nothing.

best southern pizza ever created. if you ever visit Louisiana you must try it.

http://www.johnnys-pizza.com/menu-one.php

there’s one walking distance from my house. you can’t fuck with it. don’t say shit about how your pizza is good until you’ve had Sweep the Swamp (seasonal dish with crawfish and other types of seafood). you’ll wince in pleasure so hard you’ll develop a priapism. then your dick will fall off.

fuck you :mad:

DEEP DISH CRUST…SO GOOD.

My mom used to pack this into my lunch sometimes… Oh god…

If for some absurd reason one visits Memphis, TN— please make sure to avoid “Best Pizza in Town”. It’s funny that it has that name, because it is, without question, the worst pizza I’ve ever had. I always held the simple belief that it is such a perfect food… I was thinking “how can you possibly go wrong with pizza? Even a relatively ‘bad’ one would at least be decent/passable compared to any other category of food.”… and then there’s this place. I couldn’t even finish eating this nonsense they passed off as “pizza”.

On another note with the frozen choices though… I usually wonder how those that are critical prepared their Freschetta’s or DiGiorno’s when they first tried it. If it was microwaved… that’s definitely the incorrect method right there. Bake certain kinds of Freschetta’s or a DiGiorno’s in the oven and you will have GOLD on a plate. I’ll also go with Tombstone or Red Baron if it’s there, but Fresch and DiGiorno’s destroy the competition in the frozen category. Also, don’t get the “Brick Oven” version of Freschetta… I would agree on that one indeed sucking ass. Go for the “Rising Crust” ones from Freschetta and you’re good to go. I miss that three-meat “Ultimate Focaccia Crust” one that DiGiorno’s had a few years ago… I loved that, but sadly they discontinued it.

Random note-- the cheapest shit I’ve ever seen was that Kroger’s “Pizza Pals”…you’re getting a little “personal pan” pizza for 59 cents. The funny thing is… it’s actually ok if you’re just desperate for whatever reason…and a cheapskate. Totino’s is quite a step up from it though, and those are $1.00 and change if I recall.

Down here in San Diego, Filippis pizza is the shit, so top tier and add some garlic bread to it with some meat sauce? Oh sweet jesus. :eek:

EDIT : But we also have one of the worst pizza places of all time here. Pizza plaza. They used to serve us this SLOP in jr. high. Fucking HORRID. It was free and I didn’t want it at school. The fact they are still around blows my fucking mind. Its like eating cheese melted onto cardboard.

Well I will agree with pineapple being a top tier pizza ingredient. Not a big fan of meat on pizza, but if it is done right I won’t complan.

That being said, DON’T ever get pizza at East Side Mario’s. I would have to say that it is the worst pizza ever made. That last time I ordered it cheese just dripped when I picked it up, and I’m certain I was just eating a pizza marinated in oil and water, because you could taste nothing but grease…:wasted:

That being said, I don’t know of any good pizza joints, but I’m always on the lookout.

This thread needs to get linked to the top tier ingredient thread. Ignore the first posts in the thread

Actually, no idea why this thread was created when we already had this one. I guess because OP can’t search for shit and this one is more about pizza than the ingredients. Oh well.

This thread is supposed to be about all things related to pizza. Not just ingredients!

I find it funny when someone says other people don’t know how to use the search feature when half the time it doesn’t work. I can’t even find threads I know about using the search on here. I have a better chance of typing in “pizza” and “shoryuken” in google to find this thread than I do using the site’s search.

But,back on topic I think the worst pizza I’ve ever had is from a place called Roca Bar in Indiana and Kentucky. Their slices are little 3 inch squares with really thin cheese and even more really thin crust and like 10 layers of pepperoni on each piece. And the sauce is horrible. I’ve had vending machine pizza better than that shit.

…Vending machine pizza?

[media=youtube]xZtdGfYOfpE[/media]

I usually order Peperoni, Bacon, and Jalapeno pizza if I can.

Or Meat-lovers.

Got 2 Costco pizzas coming my way for dinner. Its not the best pizza in the world but WHATEVER ITS FREE PIZZA I AINT PAYIN NAAMEAN?

http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Budget+23/2-ingredient-pizza-dough-recipe+2760.htm

Anybody ever make dough like this?
I’m thinking about giving it a shot, though my expectations aren’t high.