The Power of Resets and General Oki Game

lol the funny thing is I don’t even use Paul that much and I’m still pretty bad with him. :stuck_out_tongue:

I only used Paul in this video because he had all the tools I needed to show everything I wanted to show. The only thing he didn’t have was a projectile so that’s why I picked Juri. I could’ve shown the same ideas with Yoshimitsu too but then I’d just be giving away my secret setups. :rolleyes:

It also goes to show that even though Paul is considered among the worst in the game, he still has tools and interesting things going for him. It’s just unfortunate that he’s so slow and that his is like 6 frames (lol).

Very nice vids! I haven’t been able to find any real resets with Cammy or Ryu, but they have good ways to deal with rolls. A grounded shoto lk tatsu right before a roll to switch sides with the opponent works like Lili’s twirl do disrupt the roll input. Shoto’s angled jumping lk can hit crossup, then land in the front. Real hard to defend against if you roll into Ryu jumping back. Cammy’s roundhouse works similarly even though the spacing is a lot more strict. It can hit in the front, then land on the other side. From what I’ve seen, most characters have at least one jumping normal with that kind of property, so try to find and use that when jumping back against rolls.

Here’s the thing with Paul, even when you lose you win. As he’s just so badass. :stuck_out_tongue:
The things you demonstrated were a breath of fresh air, and it only makes Paul look good. :slight_smile:
Let’s not talk about his frame data…as I’ll have to mention Yoshi in my argument. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m definitely looking forward to more of your videos. :slight_smile:

Congrats vulcan these are both amazing. I especially liked your use of Paul because he is meant to be a character with a strong oki and corner game, which you were able to showcase.

I plan on writing a bit of an oki/corner guide to Paul, would you mind if I linked to your video for it to showcase examples I give and give credit for the ex cadc shenanigans as well as give players general oki knowledge to apply?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I don’t mind but like I said I don’t really play Paul. My video wasn’t supposed to be a Paul tutorial at all. Nothing I showed is specific to Paul or Juri, almost all characters can apply the same ideas one way or another.

True true. In the immortal words of Sir Lancelot: “sorry, sorry. Just got carried away…”

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

You sir, are the business.

Reset heavy teams are going to dominate this game I think, hence why Ryu isn’t such god tier after all (unless there’s something I’m missing)

+1 Joudan, oh wait…

I told everybody Paul was Captain Universe tier, but nobody listened. :stuck_out_tongue:

Great vids!
Any nice reset ideas for Hwoarang?

That is a LOT of damage, wow! I’m not sure if my team (Sagat/Hei) has enough synergy for those kind of resets, but I guess that’s what the lab is for!

Also, BIG props for the Oki vid. This has been one of the biggest things that’s kept me from really being good at this game: learning how to anticipate the types of wakeup. I will definitely take note of this!

Well… Ryu can setup a reset via EX Shoryuken xx Switch. (if you push them out of it they remain standing)

What do you guys think about sticking this thread and turning it into a general Oki/reset thread?

What are you thinking about exactly with EX SRK? Plus 2 bars is unlikely to be worth it when Ryu gets such good damage off 1.

I like this idea.

No disrespect to Vulcan (the vids were great), but Oki in this game is (for better or worse) more nuanced than in SF4 and there’s lots of stuff that is being discovered on how to approach the roll situation.

Though, it might be good to have a full OP, with all the videos and relevant Info attached. But that would take someone to do it… and I am lazy.

lili can do a solo reset if someone tries to jump away from her hk dive kick i not only get to be on the otherside but you have to block because my active frames are out that will be your start up frames and since srk can get stuffed on start up you have not choice to block the next mix up or eat more damage.
I gave you props in another forum post vulcan. So i’m going to do it here. great stuff. Keep it up!

Yeah you’re right but I don’t think I said somewhere that Oki was better or more important in this game. Roll dilutes your ability to lock someone down that’s for sure.

I was just tired of seeing so many players (including top SF4 players) do a knockdown then dash in, jump and put themselves in the corner vs roll. Then complain about it instead of trying a different approach.

The big difference between AE and SFxT is that in AE you are heavily rewarded for knockdowns and get a guaranteed lockdown. In SFxT you have more escape options so the emphasis is put on the neutral game and resets instead of vortexes and safe jump option-selects. And unfortunately, that hurts characters with bad neutral games.

I still prefer SFxT because in the end it all comes down to making sick reads and outplaying/outsmarting your opponent in neutral/footsies. Where as in AE I feel there’s too much of BS and luck involved.

I think you misunderstood me, the “no disrespect bit” was meant to imply that I didn’t think your vids weren’t thread worthy.

I agree though, people are way to used to SF4 knockdowns. SF4 has some of the easiest to create and most powerful Oki mixups in any game ever. To the point where (to me) it feels more like guessing than like playing a game.

SFxT has rolls to prevent this. I have nothing against rolls at all, and don’t even particularly hate the one in this game. I just don’t like how safe and free they are. There is literally no consequence for rolling.

Resets are probably the best way to got.

This is amazing, great work Vulcan.

oh ok lol. Yeah I forgot all about the media thread…

But like Jamp mentioned, I think this could be somehow turned into an informative thread about oki and resets. I could update the first post adding more videos and bits of information you guys provide. Though that might be a bit much for only 1 thread. We should probably have 2 separate threads since it’s 2 different topics. I dunno…

Well, There’s the vid on using the Super Jump Auto Correct.

I made the lili vid.

Dr. Grammar made some good Hwoarang stuff.

I’m working on Nina stuff.