The Power of Resets and General Oki Game

oh ok lol. Yeah I forgot all about the media thread…

But like Jamp mentioned, I think this could be somehow turned into an informative thread about oki and resets. I could update the first post adding more videos and bits of information you guys provide. Though that might be a bit much for only 1 thread. We should probably have 2 separate threads since it’s 2 different topics. I dunno…

Well, There’s the vid on using the Super Jump Auto Correct.

I made the lili vid.

Dr. Grammar made some good Hwoarang stuff.

I’m working on Nina stuff.

Maybe resets and ways to keep opponents standing is the next step in growing this game.

Vulcan, would there be more video’s in the future? Like about more general things on SFxT, and how would you feel about someone doing a Vesper Arcade styled In depth tutorial on SFxT?

They are a part of it.

The trick isn’t to do the reset, it to balance the damage and meter sacrifice so that it’s actually productive.

It’s funny because UltraDavid and James Chen already mentioned how important denying wake up options was in this game a long time ago but not many listened. Or they listened but couldn’t find ways to apply it effectively with their team…

lol I don’t think I would be able to do something like that. That guy was nuts. He made like 14 chapters with 4-6 parts each.

Also, I’m not that knowledgeable about the game (it’s still new and I’m sure there’s a ton of things I don’t know about). Plus, I would basically be repeating most of what Vesper already said.

Definitely good vids. Most of this stuff I had to figure out by myself as I progressed in the game. I remember being wet between the ears coming into this game trying to use Chun Li like how I did in AE and it just wasn’t working. Just yesterday I went back to Chun and started working on finding ways to reset with Chun/Nina because both have the ability to keep you grounded for a tag cancel(Chun with her lightning legs and Nina with her flash kicks)and because after Chuns J.hp(target Combo), Cr.hp, into spinning leg kicks of course can be tag canceled out of into Nina’s Ivory Cutter(overhead)and that creates a pressure situation with Nina’s high/low options. Wish I could post a vid but meh…camera batteries are low.

Ok so I updated the first post and added some stuff…

Would be nice if some of you could give me links to other relevant videos/threads (I can’t find the super jump auto-correct vs roll btw. Though I remember having seen it)

I think this is the vid you are looking for [media=youtube]DxxZynSP2LI[/media]

I wrote about some of my findings regarding okizeme on my recently created blog. It mainly describes general concepts without going very much into specific characters or setups.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot something really important. I added one more point to my post, discussing standing resets.

Awesome thread and info to have, glad it got stickied.

Anybody have any tips on how to do the option select jumps for rolls? I do alright option selecting certain specials, but I’m finding the timing for super jumps really damn hard.

rolls are an option which sf4 lacks. Options are huge in this game. When you roll you do it to get out of pressure but what if you roll and you’re not in the life lead. You put yourself out of range to make something happen and thus your opponent now knows two things. You’re gonna have to go in or you’re going to tag out. If you roll away and you have the life lead it’s a smart move because you’re doing the right thing and not risking eating a 50/50 mix up. Xtekken cross ups are MORE ambiguous than in sf4 because some normals can cross up if you super jump and most opponents don’t know this. With my character lili if you don’t roll you commit to a 50/50 dive kick which will usually lead to your death; why eat that? But if you roll away nothing happens to me. I either os into divine step or dive kick build meter and do not risk anything; i’m safe. The situation is reset and sometimes its in my favor if i have the life lead. Look at how much transpired in that one roll and the outcomes that followed.That’s why i enjoy this game because each choice you make and each option you utilizes results into something. I think most players are still trying to grasps the options in front of them and why they benefit them in certain situations and why sometimes they don’t.

Yes and no because the rolls move you forward most of the time you’re actually going to be put in a more advantageous position when rolling then if you stood straight up, even if solely because you can get out of the corner with it.

I would prefer the rolls have some manner risk associated with them. That way the defender is the one taking the risk by trying to roll out, rather than the attacker taking a chance by trying to bait the roll. Look at your example with the dive kick. Yes that is reasonably risk-free if you assume your opponents only options are rolling, but in this game your opponent has a plethora of options. In addition to the role they’ve access to invulnerable back dash, several reversal moves many of which might even be safe if tag canceled and auto correct themselves. Even otherwise neat technology like the super jump option select has the downside of ruining your chances at a safe jump leaving you vulnerable to Dragon punches, which in this game, means huge damage.

In the end, it boils down to:

knockdowns = good if you have the life lead / not so good if your opponent has the life lead
resets = good if you want to come back / not so good if your opponent needs to comeback or if a normal combo would kill.

In this game, you are almost rewarded for being knocked down (since you often have more chances to get out safely than to get hit by something). That’s why resets are good: they deny wake up options and make it harder for the opponent to escape your pressure.

Health management is also huge because it basically decides where the pressure is and who is actually taking a bigger risk on knockdown situations.

For example: say I land a combo on you and knock you down. I throw a meaty projectile in case you quickstand, but you don’t quickstand. So then I stay at max roll distance expecting you to roll but you don’t roll. The situation is now reset: we’re both at neutral again.

If I have the life lead, I took zero risk and the pressure is on you because you need to tag somehow and comeback from behind. You need to take risks. I won.

If you have the life lead, I lost my momentum and you got out of my mixup safely. You won.

So how does one go about finding resets? Id like to think we haven’t found all of them yet. the ones in which a character can combo into a mixup, like King’s elbow smash, are easy to look for in the lab but aren’t there other kinds as well, like the ones ultradavid tried to collect?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Poison does not understand the concept of a reset…but im trying to work something out in that regard.

rofl, I didn’t know that every character has a superjump xD

Honestly I actually didn’t believe in this silly oki poki stuff. So I added vulcan on xbox and played a lot of matches with him. I rolled on purpose to try to expose his “art” then when I rolled he did really mean things to me :(. To the point I couldn’t roll anymore because my sodium levels were so high I had to take my hands off the controller and meditate and I’d stand up in neutral. Fun games vulcan I like how you play! You could of timeout me when you had the life lead but your the type of player that thinks “It’s not a win till someones laying on the floor KO’d, “whats a timeout, eh I dunno?” ATTACK!”. Players like you make this game enjoyable, thanks for the fun ^.^!

lol yeah I got really mean and dirty setups vs every type of knockdown. It surprises people everytime. :slight_smile:

GGs (do we even have a GGs thread?)

btw I do play really lame sometimes. Depends on the matchup I think and who I’m playing.

Actually we could probably use one around here. :smiley: