The Queen of MAHVELL 3!: The Morrigan GD Thread

yeah I get up to the soul fist and get pushed back far! she does drop really fast but if you delay the flight cancel like you said the bounce back is crazy.
I don’t do it yet because i never remember when in a match but if you’re going for just the fly then finishing shower do you try to hit the link after finishing shower? I hit exchange pretty frequently in training but can’t get mmh shadow blade finishing shower that is possible right?

Yeah, my opponents do the same, but that’s probably because I just don’t use it pr still use j.S sometimes, but not as much anymore… On down air dashes, I’ve started using j.LM, j.L st.L/cr.M, and empty down air dash st.L/cr.M, mixing it up between those 3. The damage is hurt, but my opponents seemingly have a lot more trouble push blocking because of the short blockstun on it.

I tried Nooneyouknow’s combo, and I couldn’t get even get it once, lol. I even tried the falling j.MMH, and just linking the H Shadow Blade right after the Soul fist to unfly, but I get the Shadow Blade to come out at all. I’m guessing that’s cause Morrigan’s limited to only 2 air specials. Is there anything you were doing to bypass that?

She has three air actions. The first Shadow Blade is one, Flight and any specials done in flight mode is two, and the second shadow blade is 3. Honestly folks, you may as well pretend I said nothing, it’s not a practical combo at all (well, maybe after an aerial exchange when there’s no hit stun decay to worry about, and you should be able to throw in an air dash to jL) and just really isn’t worth the effort. I’m fairly sure by that point you’re somewhere around a one frame link in a game that doesn’t always keep a consistent frame rate. The relative height you cancel the first Shadow Blade into flight matters as well.

As for linking after Finishing Shower in the corner, usually I just hit S for the flying screen, sometimes I’ll go for an air tag, and if it’s a character I really hate I’ll go for the full 3 possible loops of Shadow Blade xx Finishing Shower (you can’t do 3 if you used flight, since flight takes up an air action).

This may not work for everyone, but I find I tend to get significantly better Finishing Shower positioning, and thus damage, hitting LMH after canceling the first air Shadow Blade into flight instead of going for MMH or just MH. It’s probably something to do with my timing, but I “sweet spot” it a lot more often.

Also, in the height of pointlessness, I’d like to point out that at least after a raw launcher Morrigan is capable of jLLMMH xx flight, LLMMH. I think she’s the only one too.

Hey Sixfortyfive, how’d you do at Season’s Beatings?

Not as good as I’d hoped. Clammed up on stream and got eliminated by Skrull inexperience later.

Pulled my weight a little more in teams. We got taken out by Flocker + Detrimantix + some other Phoenix.

I played Flocker at least 30 games in casuals. In the rare event I could take him down to just Phoenix, I usually won, but that only happened in about 10% of all matches because his Zero is serious.

In the interest of having the UMvC3 character threads be as awesome as possible, I am posting here to offer up my current Ultimate Dormammu Thread as a base skeleton to anyone who intends to manage a character thread, or something similar, in Ultimate. It is currently stripped of information, and will remain so until about a week before release. I am not attempting to toot my own horn, but rather offer to others what took me quite a bit of work to do, so that those who would rather not spend the time on such things do not have to.

I have received a lot of compliments to-date about the structure, and a few people have requested permission to use its structure for UMvC3, so I thought I would go around and make the offer to others who might not be aware that someone out there has already done the grunt work for them (haha). Because I am posting this in all the character forums, and this is time consuming on its own, I have not taken the time to check for how developed the thread I am posting on current is. Thus, I ask that no one be offended at my suggestion if your character forum is well constituted already - I mean no intrusion upon your methodologies!

Here is a link to the thread blueprint:

You can get an example of what it looks like when filled out here:

You are of course entirely welcome to change whatever you like if you want to incorporate this structure into your own thread. I have all of my posts saved as Word documents on my computer. If you would like these documents instead of having to copy/paste from the main threads, please feel free to PM me your email address, along with the character thread they will be used for, and I will gladly send them.

Highest Regards to All,
Karst

So, I always knew it was good, but after making it a point to really use Morrigan’s jL - all I can say is use it. It’s 100% better in virtually every circumstance except armor than jS (leads to the same combos on hit, with less scaling), and it’s is fucking godlike air to air. And lets you start her jump loops, which is death off a 4 frame normal in XF2/3.

SO Quick question about Morrigans apparent damage buff.

Early on it was rumored that she either had a Damage buff or reduced scaling so that she does more damage.

Did this actually happen?

From what I heard Soul Fist does more damage, and Finishing Shower does more damage due to the changes on the missile spread I think.

anybody have some good morrigan gameplay footage…

Can’t answer until I get my hands on training mode, or the guide, other than Soul Fist and Finishing Shower as mentioned.

No, we either all suck, or don’t play anywhere streamed or captured at all.

i noticed

I money matched Knives at SCR, and went 2-2 with my Main team Captain/Morrigan/Taskmaster. Captain America couldn’t pull his weight, but my Morrigan would consistently kill 1-2 characters. Really loving this character, looking forward to mastering her eventually, I think she has every tool she needs to be effective even if it’s often counterintuitive.

Also, I combo into soul steal with Assist > jS or jS+Assist out of a fwdH launch.

IE, MH fwdH jM jH Assist jS soul steal flightcancel jMjS S jMMHS

Agreed man, glad to see you’re runnin Whorri (even though I hate Cap’n :stuck_out_tongue: ). I needed to replace Dr. Strange, sadly, in my Doom xx Sent and have been having a blast w/ Morrigan since. Though I don’t really have an assist quick enough for this combo, so I guess I’ll have to find something else. Are most of you guys using the Brady guide BNB? Or is there something better and/or easier I should be aware of?

The one in the book is something like starter --> MH fwd+H jcMMH xx H fb xx fly, air dash jHS, land cHS sj MMH and then either S or DP xx super.

Hi! I’m just beginning this game (from a Brawl background, eek!) and I have a few questions, if you don’t mind. Sorry if they’re really obvious (they probably are) or if these are just the wrong questions that a beginner should be asking (if they are, then what are the right ones?).

As Morrigan, when should I be trying to zone my opponent and when should I be trying to approach him/her? (And what is the best way to do either?)

And if I’m Morrigan and if I block one of my opponent’s moves, what should I use to punish it, assuming I have frame advantage? (Probably depends on distance and the degree of frame advantage…?)

Thank you very much! :slight_smile: Sorry if my questions are overly vague and unclear, or if there are just too many, but I would greatly appreciate any and all help!

Well hmm I don’t think theres a specific way you should do something but In my opininon, depending on my opponents assist and the character I’m fighting. I like to usually make space and shoot fireballs, if you have the Have the health advantage you have no reason to NEED to go in you can play fireball game and chip/zone all you want. If they have something like Jam Session or Vajra. you have to be aware at all times against vajra, morrigan’s main approach is air, Jam Session you need to know your opponent’s position.

If you want to go in I usually Air dash down J.H or S, Depending or Soul Fist, Flight Cancel, Fly in the soul fist, I also like to double soul fist as well from super jump height then fly down.

If I know my opponent is trying to get in on me and he’s the ground while I’m playing my fireball game you can hit J.H because players like to try hit u while you’re in the air or as you come down, J.H Destroys alot of attacks and it covers full body If I’m right, and well before patch if people would try to air grab me I’d mash H to get that grab tech(idk if that still works, since Idk how they changed air grab tech), If you hit just continue and combo. If they block, you can do your block string, if you have space, you can play zoning game with fireballs, eventually they’ll get tired of just taking the chip so you can go in knowing they want to try something so you can have an assist or soul fist to cover your movement.

Astral vision helps a ton, more fireballs on the screen to control space, chip and confuse the opponent and limit your opponents movement Double Soul Fist fly in, do block string, try to confuse the opponent with the mirror morrigan and fireball, and while being in there keep in mind morrigan standing L is a Low, and she can go into flight mode to shell kick which can work for a Fast Overhead.

Slow chrs like, Hulk, Sentinel,Nemesis, you can play the zoning game all day if u do it right, your J.S beats out Hyper armor, and with Astral Vision it just makes things easier to play lame.

I personally think you should approach them occasionally when u think you 'll be safe to go in then trying to go back to zoning if going in doesn’t work or being push blocked, not repeatedly since morrigan doesn’t have a legit way to move fast on the ground and attack to go immediately for jab to low, so your main approach is in the Air. So they’ll usually try to block high or push block everytime

Versus Opponents Straight infront of you in the air I believe… J.L is the best for morrigan? (don’t quote me on that)
Versus Opponents with u in the air and them on the ground J.H beats out alot of things, but I’m sure its possible that move can be spaced out and beaten, but J.H landing recov is pretty instant so u can block after, but they CAN space you out if they’re good if they can see the bubble and try to catch you as u fall to beat it out with a move with range or try trade with it but J.H usually wins when it comes to trading, depends on the move.

I usually just air in attack as my starter or 5M but you aren’t always trying to look for the biggest damage starter, If you know you can hit Air J.H starter then go for it, if not go for 5M usually or w/e works. Morrigan usually gets her damage off J.H, J.S,5M or Fireballs Chip.

Having a good assist that covers you is always nice, like a beam, hidden missles, drones, or Disc assist.
Hope this was some help to you or anyone on here.

I would also recommend the upwards air dash (for rush down/defensive tactics), and on the way down J.H - it crosses up really well. Upwards air dash gets over a lot of shit.

Does one here ever tiger knee their ground soul fists?

And I wish deep crescendo was not F.H, it would make her ground combos that much easier.

Also, while in Astral Vision, I noticed that if you perform a snap back, it doesn’t end the Astral Vision power up like it did in Vanilla. And shout outs to Morrigan’s who loop XF3 S.M, S.H x-amounts of times - so fun (but not a good use of the XF3).

Never thought to tiger knee motion on her saltfists, but after trying it… tiger salt heavy has some potential ,because the air heavy fireball is really low. So in a nutshell if mastered your horizontal game should lvl up because of low fireballs that can be canceled into…

Thank you, Donavanime! It was very amazing advice and I’ll keep it in mind the next time I play! :slight_smile:

TK’d saltfist into fly > unfly falling saltfist is a strong counter to Zero’s going for normal jump buster cancel’d movement.