The Rap Thread: News, Reviews, Rants & Opinions: Volume 9 - Yes, we know "Hip Hop"

It’s all about taking care of yourself and making sure you look the way you want to look. It wasn’t justification, as it doesn’t need to be justified. The nigga was cleaning lint off his pants… So what? Next we gonna be laughing at niggas for putting on Chapstick in public.

If there’s one thing about Drake that needs to be commended, it’s that he does him and doesn’t give a shit what random people have to say about it.

How this nigga gon’ say “If a woman fixed her makeup in public, nobody would say anything. But when Drake does this it’s a problem.” Then act like he isn’t using what a female would do in the same situation to justify Drake’s action like niggas can’t read? :lol:

Ok lol… I don’t even care about the lint roller. I get it, he wants to look fresh. That’s fine. I’m just pointing out to you that your analogy citing female behaviour as why people shouldn’t be tripping about it is bad. This isn’t even worth arguing about so whatever I guess.

@EveryFlowerFlow I beleive you are talking about Nickelus F. I recall that he “taught” Drake how to rap apparently but hasnt admitted to writing for him.

@jimmy1200 Hmm lets see…I am 21 now and I have been following this shit we love so much, “closely” since H to the Izzo came out. That’s was when I started to keep up. Before that was random radio hits, and r&b in my head. So since I was 7. Only reason is because these kids that where older nephews of my babysitter always argued about rap and dropped gems on me, told me about Bobbito & Stretch, and Golden Era shit. They were the ones copping Sources and XXLs and Ego Trips. Seeing as how I hung with them around 1998-2005 in NYC, it was inevitable I’d become addicted too. Shit i even remember listening to Hot97 the DAY Super Ugly came out. Remember when Rocafella took over Flex and rapped forever? Yeah I stayed up past bedtime and borrowed a friends portable radio to hear that. But ok, keep judging me.

Im pretty sure I knew DOC wrote The Chronic by 2004. Same with Nas & Jay with Foxy or Biggie with Kim. We even had a bbq where I learned Rakim wrote Will Smith’s Summertime.

Obviously its different from pop and rock. Pop never cared about writing your own stuff. Just performance talent. Rap is your pen vs the next man’s. MJ didnt write and produce all his stuff. Fucking Rapper’s Delight was stolen from Grandmaster Caz. Bitin/Ghostwriting been discussed forever. Just because YOU never thought of it doesnt mean it wasnt. You dont remember the controversy of Fat Joe allegedly using Puns rhyme book? Maybe it is cuz Im from the Bronx…but that was a big topic at the time.

Yo is Dirty Sprite 2 really that hot? This shit is getting love from everyone. Allegedly the production is heat rock? Isnt it just 808 Mafia all over it?

I saw that norm kelly tweeted him, but is that really his response? LOL, damn man. Fuck it, just checked his twitter. Oh lawd its true.

Black people, i swur da gawd.

TO got a crackhead mayor. The rest of their politicians can be disobeyed and disregarded as well.

Oh, well i aint know all that. Either way, im pro ghostwriting anyways. Guess i dont follow the fuckery enough, but for the bolded, no you stop. lol. Really, in 97 you was having ghostwriting debates with your homies, because again, unless your like pushing 40 or above 40, i dont believe you was.

Its one thing if you tell me you distinctly recall having these conversations, and they were the norm at least in your circle, and another if your just reciting some history fact that many know now in hindsight after people started airing out their truths and stories in the social media era. I do not believe the common knowledge in that era, was that many of these guys had ghostwriters that were putting in that work. I dont recall that culture at all.Times were different back then, and as an early 80s baby, no, i dont recall having those conversations with anyone from dc, to m.d, to baltimore. We were more following the beefs, mixtapes, and early smack dvds than hearing any whispers of ghostwriting.

Outside of small sections in magazines, who was even covering that news, cause bet and mtv damn sure wasnt. There damn sure wasnt any social media spreading those rumors/truths. Plus back then, im sure a lot of hip hop truths got deaded early on by inside friendships with magazines, and general threats. lol

I just dont believe you were sitting down in 97 talking about ghostwriting how we’re talking about it now, unless you were an older insider in the industry, or an older cat deeply following the little tidbits of info you would get on it here and there.

You don’t put quotations around something that wasn’t actually said. That said, don’t twist my words. I explained to you that it has more to do the desire to keep up your appearance than anything. Either way you want to look at it, what you’re choosing to harp on about is irrelevant to the point. You keep bringing up something I didn’t exactly say like it changes anything about the actual argument.

I agree that this isn’t worth arguing about, though.

The Pun’s rhyme boom accusations got so real Joe even referenced it on the back cover of The Darkside.

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/covers_large/E1E2101CD-2-Back.jpg?width=400&height=400&quality=100

The guys I chilled with talked about beefs, battles, samples. They bought BEEF 1&2, told me what “Impeach the President” is and they schooled me on the whole 9. Like, doesnt everyone know Nas wrote Foxy’s Affirmative Action verse?

40 tweeted exactly what I was thinking.

Drake’s style and lyrical content are REALLY fuckin personal. It just doesn’t make sense that someone else would write those kinds of things for him. Drake is certainly a lot of things, but you really gone have to prove he’s got a ghost writer to me.

Niggas knew Diddy had ghostwriters since that first album dropped and you saw those liner notes. Same for Ma$e (DMX wrote one of his joints on the first album). Niggas knew that Cube was writing most of NWA’s bars, too.

The difference is that those were either groups or producers, meaning nobody gives Diddy or Dre credit for being dope rappers. People do give Drake credit for being a great rapper/lyricist so it is relevant whether or not he’s writing his own raps. That said, this is just Meek saying this. It’s established fact that Drake actually writes for other people (eg Alicia Keys, Rihanna) and when he first came out he was allegedly writing for Weezy, so I find it a little hard to believe that he’s not writing his own shit.

Well he only writes checks

Well Flex just had to involve himself in this beef lol

And I’m done for the night. Ggs
https://instagram.com/p/5dt1YIOV6O/

I don’t think anyone’s really saying that everything he’s ever put out was written by others or that he doesn’t write at all. The personal songs are obviously he’s but he gets help on the hits and what not. The reason this all came out is because Meek got a hold of the original R.I.C.O reference that had the Quentin guy rapping the verse Drake used. Similar to the 10 Bands reference FunkFlex is currently dropping those stupid bombs over.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S2ZjhLFlp8g

That’s the dude. He said he wrote a verse for him and helped him out with hooks etc as well here.

Remy Ma is so fine. How do you come out of prison looking better than you did going in. Don’t really matter I would smash tho. Papoose actually won.

So meek already apologized. Video is circulating vine. LOL. Cant stand these rap niggas mane. ugh

They’re too friendly, sensitive, and bitchmade.

THIS is when Ghostface should start making those videos

Can i get a vine link for confirmation plz?These niggas are so lame oh my gawd. Drake stimulus package has THAT little recovery frames?

Nah fuck that. 40 wasnt denying it. Fine, Drake can have his pre packaged bars. But HE IS NOT even top 5/10 contender anymore. If niggas wanna do shit like Dre and Puff, they gonna get treated like Dre & Puff…pen-wise. Fuck the $$$. Im bout to start rappin and ghostwrite for all my friends. Of course the canadian jew trying to sway the culture lmao