The Rising of the Wolf

yang

Ok i been playing street fighter for a while now and im getting better but slowly.I am unsure what i need to work on so i can hit the next level.Now yang is my main yes he has gotten nerf which would make him around mid tier. But he still is mad fun and i love his charcter desighn so im going to stick out with him.So I guess im going use this as a blog/ as well for asking for help and tips from other yang players.so feel free to add your 2 cents.

Ok so Question. 1.When is it the best time to set up frame trap?
2.what do you guys do after yangs over head fw mk?

1. When you have either confirmed they are mashers or when you have conditioned them to tech your throws.

2. I usually either cr.lk xx slashes or s.lk xx slashes. cr.lk usually beats any button they press because it’s 3 frames and s.lk, albeit slow as fuck now, has a really good hitbox and also stuffs/outranges most normals. You can do a lot of stuff depending on your opponent tho…another dive kick, dash throw/command grab, bait a reversal, another overhead…I don’t really understand this question.

For 1, Otori is obviously correct. If you’re worried about losing damage, you can add cr. lp, cl.mp, cr.mk xx slashes to your regular blockstrings for 2 frametraps that also potentially combo.

For 2, it’s 0 on block, so basically anything you do from a neutral situation normally. The overhead doesn’t really set you up for anything so it’s really only used when that 80 damage is going to be crucial or you know you can get it for free. After hitting it I usually cr. lk xx slashes just because it tends to have the highest success rate, but I wouldn’t suggest planning around the overhead at all if you can help it.

The overhead is -2 on block and 0 on hit. I usually only block when my opponent blocks. If they’re close enough, I do cr. short after I hit them.

Yeah, oops. Meant on hit.

Ok its been awhile since my last post thanks for the feed back guys
So lets me tell you wats been going on latey.Went to a Ranbat last week and got blown up like ialways do I fought a Ryu,Slim,Gief,Guy,Rose,Seth smh.how no clue on these match up but seth which i think is 1-9.SEth with the 9s.So In realize my harder thing is getting to the my enemy.Im not sure what im doing wrong but as i see it i either walk forward,jump, dive then when it comes to playing footies i feel alot of chacarter out poke yang.then when i get in i cant seem to hold pressure.Also my mentor plays C Viper,Chun,and is picking up Sakura can someone please tell me how to BLOWUP THESE BITCHies mostly Viper the main HO. he plays like Laiff with more seims which stop me from walking forward.the burnkick mixup.if i do any thing it thunder knuckle to get me of or EX semi.Need some tips fast

Here Some questions i have.1.Is it just me or does Yang anit Air game sucki feel like i have to know it coming to stop people from jumping in on me.Advice onn how to improve?
2.ok i swear i go in to training mode everyday but sometime when i try to combo into Slashes i still get telport which realy screw me over when it counts so any advice on what im doing wrong so i wont get any more telport dash. instead of slashes?
3.How can i keep the pressure after knock down i mostly go for cross up juming mk after throw or dragonkick and telport dash after slashes to close the distance?
4.also for jumping mk do you have put the input early for it to cross up?
5.Any tips to improve my game i would be highly thankful for?
Sidenote.My name is Lupus.its latin for wolf.

Well, first of all Seth really isn’t the worst for Yang. Seth’s a really strong character overall, but Yang isn’t free on wakeup and has a really good walkspeed (not to mention a divekick) so he can hold his own in footsies against Seth’s fairly average midrange buttons.

1. lk rollkicks beats everything all the time and almost never trades. His anti-air normals are pretty lackluster, but s.mk will almost always be your best bet if you’re having trouble rollkicking on reaction. If you suspect a jump in you can also neutral jump fierce, which is fairly good at keeping them out, so long as you remember that most of the time you aren’t trying to keep them out (unless they’re gief or hawk).

2. This would only happen if you’re negative edging the dash (i.e. holding kick until after you perform the quarter circle and then releasing it). Just tap the buttons lightly and you should be fine.

3. After a throw crossing up is fine assuming you aren’t going to whiff, which is spacing or matchup dependent. Basically use any combination of crossups, + on block normals (i.e. jabs and shorts) throws and the occasional command throw or palm/palm fake to make sure they have no idea what you’re going to do. This also means you’ll have to block or backdash on occasion unless you want to eat a lot of dps. Incidentally, Yang has a really easy safe jump off of his forward throw (walk forward 2 steps and jump forward mk) which helps in non-shoto matchups. After rekkas don’t rollkick unless you have 2 bars and you’re sure they aren’t expecting it. Dash forward rekkas works fine and otherwise you pretty much have to get in again. It’s an unfortunate fact of Yang’s offense that it doesn’t tend to position him well to continue pressure.

4. It’s not ‘early’ per se. You really have to go into training and figure it out. If you aren’t jumping into the corner it’s much more spacing-dependent than timing-dependent.

5. FADC when you get an opportunity. Learn how to FADC into things (cl.mk, ultras, command grab) if you don’t already know. It’s the best tool Yang has for getting stuns and I see far too many newer players dead with a full super bar.

Sidenote: It’s virtually impossible to have a working knowledge of English language pop culture without having run into that fact once or twice. It seems kind of patronizing to assume that people here didn’t get your thread name. Just sayin’.

@idesofmarch so who do you think is his worst match up?
1.Yea but if the person is close enough dragon kick whiff.my friend plays adon he will get real close and just keep jumping over and over aagain.
2.Yea I thought so but every blue moon it comes out so ill just have 2 keep at it.
5.yea I can fadc but it feel like the timing is a lot tighter now in 2012 ver.
Side note.a lot of people been asking me if I’m name as the disease and or what does it mean so I was letting it be known haaha i. Understand your point.
So hopeful I can put some of my matches up if I get the chance.but here are new questions as well.
1.so who do you think is yang worst match up.
2.how should I end my block string?I usally do after lp slash one hit?
3.should I be doing blockstring or frametraps?

@idesofmarch so who do you think is his worst match up?
1.Yea but if the person is close enough dragon kick whiff.my friend plays adon he will get real close and just keep jumping over and over aagain.
2.Yea I thought so but every blue moon it comes out so ill just have 2 keep at it.
5.yea I can fadc but it feel like the timing is a lot tighter now in 2012 ver.
Side note.a lot of people been asking me if I’m name as the disease and or what does it mean so I was letting it be known haaha i. Understand your point.
So hopeful I can put some of my matches up if I get the chance.but here are new questions as well.
1.so who do you think is yang worst match up.
2.how should I end my block string?I usally do after lp slash one hit?
3.should I be doing blockstring or frametraps?

1. Zangief probably. It might have been 6-4 for 'Gief even in AE and it hasn’t gotten any better. He outpokes us for the most part and getting close to him is usually a bad decision. Not to mention he can punish a slightly mistimed divekick or any non-ex rekka with spd.

2. You have to vary it. Light rekka is -2 so it’s fine to end it there, but if you always end it in the same place they’ll know what you’re going to do every time.

3. Both. See above. As James Chen put it (paraphrased) there’s no such thing as a good frametrap. All of your decisions in this area should be based on how you think they’ll react as to punish them for the most possible damage.

[media=youtube]xX9bZpkK29M[/media]

Make use of the frame advantage of EX-Mantis when your opponent blocks. You can do a normal throw or command grab. You can also bait your opponents into tech-throw or SRK by backdashing after the EX-Mantis.

Make more use of FADC after Mantis x2. You can do alot of possibilities like cl.mk and jump hp or trick them by doing a command grab after the FADC coz most people will think you’re doing a combo and will just hold block.

Try to time your divekick nicely by hitting below the waist. Mix around by delaying your divekick sometimes to confuse your opponent and of course using the different distance of the divekick to bait your opponent into doing SRK.

When your opponent blocks, mix with palm to get more chip damage or use a fake palm so that you can try to throw them or do a command grab.

And most of all, practice your combos.