THE SF4 BEGINNERS Thread! NEW? POST HERE FIRST!

Frame trapping is where you intentionally leave a small enough space between your attacks so that if your opponent tries to retaliate, they will get stuffed and counterhit by your following move. It usually refers to blockstrings, but I believe it can also refer to combo resets.

The idea was more popular in older games where it was much harder to time reversal special moves. In sf4, the huge reversal window means that spd/srk mashing will completely own a frame trap

Noob question, im a casual player and try and get a few games in after work after i put my Daughter to bed and have tea and so forth. Well ive been stuck on G3-A Rank on Championship mode for a few weeks now (using Bison of course) and i win the final matches about 3 times now but no ranking to G2-E. If their a certain or specific amount of Pts i need all in one hit?

im on about 1720 GP pts.

Not much of a fighting games player, I played a lot of Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior and Street Fighter Alpha 2, Tekken 3, and a bit of Mortal Kombat but nothing serious. I’ve been playing SF4 since the PC version came out and plan to stick with it as long as possible. Currently maining M. Bison and minoring in Sakura/Dan and a few others.

GFWL tag: col parenthesis

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/aug/03/grade-point-rank-guide-street-fighter-4-championship-mode/

You need 2,000 GP to break into G2-E

Hiya I’m new here. Why doesn’t the BB Code in my siggy work?

Cuz it’s disabled for sigs.

oh cool, well as of last night im at 1980 lol.

Whats up everyone noobie here. Not new to SF4 but I suck at it. Any type of training or advice would help. I main Ryu, Ken, and Sakura.

head over to the Character sections mate to learn the ins and outs of your favourites. Trust me become a bison player, true skill and cunning is required though…well worth it.

Hi, im new, i like made mods for sf4, i hope upload MOD soon, Regards.

I am a new poster, but longtime lurker. Love me some SRK

Relatively new poster but long time lurker as well. Bowed out from competitive fighting games after CvS2 died out in my area but SF4 renewed my interest.

Hiiiiiii

so how do i exactly use piecemontee’s assets explorer? i looked on google and shoryuken search and nothing came up.

mods, like mugen type mods?

Me too, never had much to bring to the table so held off registering.

Been playing since I was a kid (mainly kof), but never took it that seriously because there was never really a scene here in the UK when I was growing up. I could always destroy my friends who couldn’t care less so it just got boring after a while.

Then I saw “that Evo 2004 video” which not only blew my mind, but made me realise that perhaps there’s more to this than just throwing out fierce SRKs all day long with ken. I bought 3rd strike and have been lurking here ever since.

SF4 online finally gave me an easy way to find matches. So I bought a stick and decided to get more involved.

Is it acceptable to use the PPP and KKK buttons on sticks? It isn’t like this at the arcade

Are you speaking of the single button that has all 3 punches or kicks mapped to it? If so, I suppose there’s nothing stopping you from doing it, but keep in mind it will hamper your execution and probably cause you to develop bad habits.

Also, if you were ever in a tournament, you would not be allowed to use those buttons and thus you would be at a disadvantage if that was all you were used to.

Is there anyway to punish jab spammers? Alot of times when playing online people will relentlessly spam jab to try to combo interrupt. Offline that would usually not be that much of a problem, but online alot tight combos are much harder to pull off. So is there any way to punish someone who you know is spamming jab while you are doing a combo?

Depending on your characters normals, you can do the first portion of your block string and then move back a little; if they throw out a jab you might be able to punish it with a normal into a special.