The System Mechanics Thread

My Japanese is pretty awful, but I do have a patchwork-like understanding of what’s going on through what I’ve read/experimented with. I’ll put together something that hopefully others can verify/authenticate/yell at for being unreadable.

I finally get why Sggk works and the input. But when is a good time to do it? After throwing an enemy? Also cant they hit you with s.lp or s.mp (something that has to be parried high) or will the kara throw eat that up

use sggk if your opponent is using crouch tech to defend against throws

I think it’s not that good. beats one thing, loses to several other things. yeah like pherai said it blows up crouch tech but that’s the only big use for it. and there’s other other solutions to crouch tech. heck you can just walk up and fish low if you expect crouch tech and blow them up without making as definite a commitment to one option.

also I think it’s a marker of 3s game knowledge posers lol. every internet guy who wants to prove he knows about 3s will always name drop SGGK or make Chun back fierce jokes. pretty lame!

Isnt it good for getting out supers on the opponent? Like get within throw range and then if the normal hits, do the super? A lot of advance players I know mention that its important to learn. The only thing I dont like it is the timing of it is pretty strict and you have to execute it right everytime to uield good results.

parry itself isn’t a ‘solution’ in 3S. you parry something, the situation has changed but there are so many possibilities depending on character and what was parried.
so you parry and then do close roundhouse or something (part of your sggk), oops the other guy expecting it did something and beats the roundhouse.

so really if you just paid attention, parried, waited for parry freeze, and then did stuff in response, you would be much better off than guessing using sggk. you would see what you parried specifically and know what the options are for your opponent. so you could make a guess with as much information as possible.

Technically you can use SGGK outside of beating crouch tech.

Inputting SGGK for jump ins or divekicks you’ll get Kara throw for empty jump ins/divekicks OR parry + normal move coming out if you parry the divekick or jump in.

I haven’t practiced it and don’t use it. Gesu yarou told me he does that for jump ins sometimes and in a Kuroda + nuki commentary video they brought it up for an option dealing with empty or low-ankle-hitting divekicks. not sure how common it is (guessing not very commonly used) or how often people who might use it go for this. Some players like KO don’t use techniques at all or often so…

that’s a really good way of using it. hadn’t thought of that situation before, that’s one where it makes a lot of sense, especially because of how tricky the spacing can be with divekicks. need to try and remember that next time i play yang/yun.

Other people use it in scramble situations like if an opponent is somewhere between -1 and +1 and also in your face. It’s a time to make a quick guess I suppose.

ha thats clever! funny cause i used to use crouch tech to defend against empty dive kicks. thats quite a bit better

But how much time do you really have to “wait” and see the parry freeze, realize it’s a ken multi hit dragon punch and remember not to hit a button? In theory it sounds

Are we hating on it because its pretty much guessing? I know people who throw out mix up block strings, where they know it’s likely to hit if the opponent presses a button. More often than not theyre scoring free hits

A pro player Im talking to his twitter mentioned SGGK is important for higher levels. Im surprised less people are using it. Sure its an OS and semi-cheap, but it takes time to learn the input/timing.

its importance is gonna be largely a matter of opinion. personally i think people who don’t play chun aren’t noticeably hindered without it.

personally i always felt kind of stupid sacrificing goukis regular kara throw range to do sggk with mk. i would use jiro demon sggk but its very difficult execution

Not hating on it, just you have better options usually.
It’s pretty beast with chun though, definitely. like pherai is saying i think outside of chun it becomes less useful/impactful.

as for parry freeze, you have plenty of time to see the freeze and react.
it’s equivalent to seeing some of the overhead normals in the game.

It has uses but I think how important it is is overstated. And you have to realize you are giving up other opportunities if you commit to it. Remember all you get is throw if they do nothing. You only get super if they wakeup with crouch tech or mashing low buttons.

well sggk also works with high parry input. If you feel you HAVE to guess a parry and you are in range for the kara throw, you should sggk it anyway.
^
this is theory fighting, my system memory crashes when I try to implement that in real games

for that one, think makoto or charge characters

yeah I was thinking of something more specific than what was actually written I guess. I read SGGK but thought “SGGK w/low parry as an oki attack.” obviously that wasn’t said outright so my mistake.

but yeah I still think SGGK is this weird tidbit of game knowledge that has found it’s way to a lot of people but they don’t know how it works or what beats it. like the original post asked “should I use it after I throw someone?” and I think the answer is “maybe, but there’s probably better stuff to do.”

Where the hell have you been!? Are you still on XBL?

SGGK is sick. You force a 50/50 in a situation where people usually dont do anything apart from blocking or teching throws.

I retired years ago; recently came back. I’m interested in getting back on the 3S horse, but I’m wary about playing online in a game with parries.