The USF4 Guidebook - Parts 1 and 2: Beginner and Intermediate

My idea is to have a go-to tutorial / resource for beginners and intermediates that is as concise and easily digestible as possible. Hopefully I achieve that and these videos help people :slight_smile:

The USF4 Guidebook - Part 1: The Basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiWHE0iGG74

The USF4 Guidebook - Part 2: Intermediate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf35PwXonb0

You lost me in the second video when you said that FADC is “fun”.

I’ve been playing for about a year, and I cannot perform FADC combos against human opponents. I can get the combo to absolute perfection in training-mode, but cannot EVER hit-confirm into it… never ever. I am ALWAYS too early, too late, I hold focus for too long, the dash… it’s always something. Sometimes they just block, and then I go into the whole sequence anyway, waste super/ultra AND I get punished with exactly what I was trying to do! ARRRRGGGGHH!!

I don’t understand this game AT ALL. How is it that I throw a fireball, and my opponent can jump over it to kick me in the face? When I do THE EXACT SAME THING to do them, I eat a DP or cr.HP!!!111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 If it works for them, it should work for me. This games makes no sense. The rules for what you can and cannot do vary from millisecond to millisecond. I can’t block because you’ll throw me. I can’t attack because you’ll block. I can’t overhead because it’s too slow. I can’t sweep because you are blocking low. I can’t focus because you’ll armor-break me.

WHERE ARE THE OPTIONS?!

ALL I DO IS LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE AND LOSE

Practice more

Trust me, that ain’t going to cut it for him.

As for the videos, they were well thought-out and easy to understand. I hope more people use your video
to help them out. :tup:

I was unsure how these were going to be simply due to how many sf4 tutorials have been made already, however I had high hopes once I saw your name. You always create great content and these videos are no exception. I just finished watching the first video and am very impressed in how simple and effectively the information is expressed.

I will definitely be sharing these videos with people I know who are interested in playing fighting games.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!

There are a few inaccuracies and omissions but the vids are pretty good material for beginners.

I know the counter hit example is technically wrong, but I exaggerated that one intentionally to make the concept more obvious.

Any other inaccuracies?

Omissions-wise, I forgot to mention L/M/H buttons affecting specials, and also left out that Lvl3 focus armor-breaks.

I notated those two in the video descriptions. Was there anything else that you caught?

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

It’s nothing really major that I noticed. Off the top of my head:

Most dive kicks and other air specials can be blocked low.

Quick rise can also be performed by pressing down twice. This was actually the original input, but the devs realised it would put charge characters at a severe disadvantage.

Technically zoning is the use of certain moves (usually projectiles) and strategies to restrict your opponent’s movement to certain “zones” of the playing field.

Certain throws can be comboed into eg. Guy’s Bushin combo, Vega’s walldive, Fuerte’s st.hk into DP

Getting hit also builds EX meter.

Not all moves that can be chained into are chainable themselves eg. Ryu’s close st.lk

Aside from reversal projectiles, reversals counter specials and grabs don’t break armour

In the example where you show how to bait a reversal, the DP isn’t a reversal.

There is a special case where a level 3 focus becomes blockable. I’m not 100% of the technical details, but if you block another move at the same time as the level 3 focus connects, you will block the focus. This is why Rose cannot use Ultra 2 and Level 3 focus to create a true unblockable.

Certain special moves do not have EX versions. eg. Lariat, TAP, Teleports

For the example of how to perform Specials into FADCs, I think it’s worth mentioning that if you’re already holding a forward direction for the special move, you do not have to tap twice to dash out. I’ve noticed that this is something that makes it much harder for new players to perform FADC combos as they always try to perform the dash as a distinct move. It’s also true for dashing out of Focus Attack. If you’re holding down/forward for example, then to dash instantly out of a focus attack, you just need to tap forward once you press MP+MK

I will add the Divekicks and FADC forward/back “shortcut” if you’re already holding it to the notes. Thank you! I had a section on Negative Edging for a third advanced section, and that would have covered the Dash bit-- but since this will likely end up staying a two part, I probably should have mentioned it in part two.

I think the rest is too obscure and complicating to be useful to a beginner, since it is mostly technicalities / exceptions to the main systems.

Its actually 1.8 seconds you have to charge special moves for. It says 50 frames, but charge frames are registered in 30 fps rather than 60 fps so instead of 5/6ths of a second its 1.8 seconds. I know it is weird, but thats what happens.
I commented this on your Youtube video so you aren’t experiencing Deja vu if you have already read this comment on there.

But overall this could be great for beginners who are too lazy to commit to watching the 5 hour vesperarcade tutorial.

damn when i’m just wondering if there’s guide here XD this is helpful dude (Y) you da real mvp
hope you make some more

pretty sure that isn’t true as you can setup frame kills for the correct amount of time and you’ll clearly have charge.

Decapre can safejump os u2, and her jump is not 84 frames long or w/e

good work !

Like Veserius said, that math doesn’t seem to add up. 1.8 seconds seems like far too long to me, are you sure on those numbers? I don’t think it takes 1.8 seconds for Ryu to recover from Shoryuken yet you can easily get full charge in that time and punish him.

Also, in the video, I mostly said “1 second” as a rough estimate, since moves do have slightly varying charge times (which I neglected to mention to keep it simple).

This is awesome, great stuff! Very professionally done, will be sharing this with my Street Fighter noob friends :slight_smile:

Go back to the basics. I have the same problem. You can beat ~90% of people (minus the Daigos) with good footsies \ spacing \ punishes.

I suggest you start here:

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.

I’ve been lurking for a little bit after finally trying to get into fighting games(I like I’m sure many others, had played them as a little kid but never seriously) and I found these videos very helpful in understand basic concepts and game mechanics needed to understand the game beyond a very simple level that most people get stuck at. Thank you.

very nice vids here.

Great guides! I wonder what’s in store for part 3? :o