The wrong mindset involved

<p>Hello, I’ve played UMvC3 for quite some time now, and will say that I have gotten pretty good at it. Now during that time I got a fightstick, and picked up SSF4, and I literally could not figure it out. I couldn’t do whatever my characters were good at. I dropped it, and went back to Marvel using my normal controller.</p><p> </p><p>I recently picked up SFxT and felt like the system was better then SF4’s. I really want to get good at this game, but my mind just isn’t playing Street Fighter, and instead playing Marvel.</p><p>In Marvel, I throw out crazy fast overheads, fake out lows, and tricky crossups with Zero spiderman and Doom. Sadly I’m trying to do the same damn thing with Ken and Whoarang.</p><p> </p><p>I’ll go into a match, and think “don’t worry about combos, play it safe and just try getting in and do some basic stuff.”</p><p>After two rounds lost due to me constantly jumping HK into sweep and poorly timed hadokens, I blamed it on not knowing what to do once I got in. After some time getting combos down, I go back into a match and all I do is try landing this goddamn combo. Literally now all i’m doing is step kicking and trying to pull off a combo that I can visibly see my opponet is blocking anyway. </p><p> </p><p>I’ve tried and gone into the character threads (although I can’t find Ken’s, like there is two ken forums but both are for MVC2 and 3rdStrike) and looked up some ideas on what i’m supposed to be doing. Problem is I know that i’m going to go into the next match and do the same stupid shit that doesn’t work.</p><p> </p><p>Any advice to get my characters under control? So far all I got is Ken, Hwoarange. I am also interested in Dhalsim and Sagat, but that’s not important for right now.</p>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>The problem with your attack plan is you’re trying to get that combo off. Fighting games are never kind enough to give you great opportunities to get the combo you practiced off, while in a real match. If you know you’re constantly losing because of jumping in, then try to stop jumping, and instead chuck plasma yourself, make THEM jump at you.</span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>In Marvel you’re used to being the aggressor, but in SF4 it’s more about knowing what’s safe and what’s not. Not necessarily playing the defensive end, but knowing what your safe jumps are, knowing what ranges to poke from, etc. A great tool to have in Ken’s arsenal is his kara-throw. If they end up blocking too many of your step kicks, then throw them and then set up one of Ken’s ugly crossups, then see how many times they’ll want to blindly hold back in a row.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>You have to be able to vary your attacks a lot, and learning different setups will go a long way there.</span></font></div>

<p>Ken has a Kara-throw in SFxT? I can pull that off in SF4, but to no avail here.</p><p>I really have a problem with the instinct of jumping. I’ve gotten so used to jump blocking (pretty sure it’s called chicken blocking) in Marvel that I can’t not help it here. Standing back and waiting for them turns into them standing back and throwing shit at me/jumping over it. So it really is a matter of me getting in, and my first instinct is to jump.</p><p> </p><p>Also Ken’s forum is still nowhere to be found…</p>

Marvel was designed for spastic newbies to be able to jump right in so flailing about can still make you somewhat threatening.<div><br></div><div>Get out of that minset and play a little bit more conservatively. You’ll get it eventually.</div>

Yeah SF is a little bit more about poking and quick 1-2 hits. Combos are still useful and practical but you shouldn’t be only trying those.

Also IMO, you should never do jumping roundhouse into sweep.You might as well just sens them a message in the character select screen saying, “I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing so please destroy me.”. Relying upon that little combo is considered as a below basic understanding of the game and your character.

Ken doesn’t have a kara throw in SFxT does he? I thought there were no karas in SFxT.<br><br>Try to play reactive. Learn all your opponent’s options, and then do things to beat those options on reaction.<br><br>Anti-airs are the quintessential example here.<br><br>Hit-confirming is great, but not hit-confirming boost combos will get you killed up close because they’re mostly unsafe. However, poking with boost combos (Elena’s s.lk for example) is great and can lead into a combo.<br><br>With Ken, cr.mk s.hk boost combo is great as a whiff punish or to stop someone from walking in on you.<br>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/55729/XthAtGAm3RGuYX">XthAtGAm3RGuYX</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><br>
<br>
Also IMO, you should never do jumping roundhouse into sweep.</div>
</blockquote><p>

This is one of those things I know I’m not supposed to do, but I do it anyway because my mind just says “ok just sweep 'em, and then jump in, and do it again”.</p><p>I try and play the hole poking game, but that usually tends for the both of us to trade hits and ends with my opponet getting a combo off of it.<br></p>

<span style=“font-style: normal;”><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/64309/Jakeyjake">Jakeyjake</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/55729/XthAtGAm3RGuYX">XthAtGAm3RGuYX</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><br>
<br>
Also IMO, you should never do jumping roundhouse into sweep.</div>
</blockquote><p>

This is one of those things I know I’m not supposed to do, but I do it anyway because my mind just says “ok just sweep 'em, and then jump in, and do it again”.</p><p>I try and play the hole poking game, but that usually tends for the both of us to trade hits and ends with my opponet getting a combo off of it.<br></p></div>
</blockquote>

Stop trying to win the game you’re playing and focus on getting better. Trying to implement improvements in your game </span><i>will make you do worse in the short run</i>. You have to be satisfied with the fact that you’ll get better in the long run.<div style=“font-style: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-style: normal;”>If your opponent is getting a combo off of it, that usually means they’re jumping like a scrub. Learn to anti-air them. If you do cr.mk with Ken, usually you can recover from the cr.mk and still anti-air mp shoryuken. If they’re getting a max range boost combo, well that’s just the breaks. Either poke with a different move or try to whiff punish them. And you have a fireball, the cheapest whiff punisher in Street Fighter.</div>