The Yun Safe Jump Thread

yun

I wanted to get things rolling and bring some new info to the few Yuns that are out there in that this character has a lot of great safe jumps versus a lot of the more popular reversals in the game. I believe that if we were to explore different timing mechanisms, there are new possibilities that can be found. Ideally, the thing that I want to end up doing, is with most characters to have a 3 way mixup between a safe jump/safe dive, throws, and empty jump cr. tech.

I hope that this info that is compiled can help elevate this character’s play to new heights, and perhaps change the landscape of some matchups completely. To begin, I’ll post safe jumps for the characters I play against on a regular basis. I’ll edit these first few posts accordingly when more information comes available.

Adon
(midscreen) neutral throw, mp shoulder, j. mk (all dp/ultras blocked)
(midscreen) neutral throw, empty jump forward, j. hp (all dp/ultras blocked)
(anywhere) end any combo with mk dp, neutral j. mk (all dp/ultras blocked on quick rise)
(corner) neutral throw, lk dp, neutral/forward j. lk dive (both xup dives, all dp/ultras whiff)

Blanka
(midscreen) neutral throw, empty jump forward, j. lk dive (xup, ex up ball whiff, electricity stuffed)
(midscreen) end combo in hk dp, jump foward lk dive, neutral j. mk dive (hard knockdown setup, xup, ex upball whiff, electricity stuffed)
(corner) neutral throw, hp shoulder, j. hk dive (electricity stuffed, EX rainbow and up ball whiff, can jump out but you can track the jump and anti air)

Boxer
(midscreen) neutral throw, lk dp, j. hp (ex rushes/TAP/hb blocked)
(anywhere) neutral throw, hp lunge, neutral j. hp (ex rush charge nullified, TAP/hb blocked)
(anywhere) end any combo in mk dp, neutral j. mk (ex rushes/TAP/hb blocked)
(anywhere) land a lunge/dp, walk up cr. tech (eats ex rush armor and can hit before active frames get you, recovers before TAP hits, hb is iffy depending on which one you hit, can empty jump cr. tech on dp hits)
(corner) neutral throw, lk dp, neutral j. mk (ex rushes/TAP/hb blocked)

Cammy
(midscreen, credit to Klownboy) neutral throw, hp shoulder, j. mk (unblockable, avoided by neutral crouch/off. crouch, qcf blocks it with timing)(all dps whiff)
(midscreen) throw, empty jump forward, j. hp (all dp block)
(anywhere) end combo in mk dp, neutral j. mk (all dp block)
(corner) throw, lk dp, j. lk dive (fake xup, all dps whiff)
(corner) throw, lk dp, j. mk (fake xup, all dps whiff, walk/dash forward avoids it)

Honda
(midscreen) neutral throw, hp lunge, j. lk dive (charge nullified for hb, buttslam whiffs)
(midscreen) neutral throw, empty jump forward, j. mk dive (charge nullified for hb, buttslam whiffs)
(midscreen) neutral throw, hp shoulder, j. mk dive (hb stuffed, buttslam whiff)
(corner) neutral throw, lk dp, j. db + lk (xup, charge nullified for hb, buttslam whiff)

Rose
(midscreen) neutral throw, lk dp, neutral j. hk dive (EX spiral/U1 blocked, EX soul throw whiffs, U2 stuffed, can os st. mp to punish backdash)
(midscreen) neutral throw, empty jump forward, neutral j. hk dive (EX spiral/U1 blocked, EX soul throw whiffs, U2 stuffed, can os st. mp to punish backdash)
(anywhere) land a mk/hk dp, neutral j. mk dive (quick rise setup, EX spiral/U1 blocked, EX soul throw whiffs, U2 stuffed, can os st. mp to punish backdash)
(anywhere) land a mp/hp lunge, instant neutral j. hk dive (quick rise setup, EX spiral/U1 blocked, EX soul throw whiffs, U2 stuffed, can os st. mp to punish backdash)
(corner) neutral throw, lk dp, neutral j. hp (EX spiral/U1 blocked, EX soul throw whiffs, U2 stuffed, can os st. mp to punish backdash)
(corner) neutral throw, lk dp, instant neutral j. mk dive (EX spiral/U1 blocked, EX soul throw whiffs, U2 stuffed, can os st. mp to punish backdash)

Sagat
(midscreen) neutral throw, mp shoulder, j. mk (all TU/ultra blocked, lk super hits partial for 200 dmg)
(anywhere) end combo in mk dp, neutral j. mk (all TU/Ultra blocked, lk super hits partial for 200 dmg)
(corner) neutral throw, lk dp, neutral j. mk (all TU/Ultra blocked, lk super hits partial for 200 dmg)
(corner, experimental) neutral throw, one step forward, lk dp, j. lk dive(xup, all TUs whiff, ultras blocked, lk super hits partial for 200 dmg)(I’ve gotten this a few times, so I’ve either have to find a new timing mechinism or adjust the height)

Shotos
(midscreen)(credit to monopr) neutral throw, whiff cr. mp x 2, walk up one step, j. mk (all shoto dp’s blocked sans Ken hp dp)
(midscreen) neutral throw, kara palm feint(qcb mk~lp), j. mk (all shoto’s dp’s blocked sans Ken hp dp)
(anywhere, credit to Mohib) neutral throw, neutral j. lk dive, neutral j. hk dive (false safe dive, whiffs as they wake up, all dps blocked)
(anywhere, credit to Mohib) neutral throw, palm feint, slight pause, j. hk dive (false safe dive, whiffs as they wake up, all dps blocked)
(anywhere, credit to Mohib) neutral throw, hop kick, j. hk dive (false safe dive, whiffs as they wake up, all dps blocked)
(anywhere, credit to Mohib) neutral throw, hp lunge, j. hk dive (false safe dive, whiffs as the wake up, all dps blocked)
(anywhere, credit to Kaiser) end combo in mk dp, neutral j. mk, dash, j. lk dive (non quickrise setup, can also be done with some dives that land on other side but needs further testing)(xup, all dps whiff)
(corner, credit to Khayoticsymbiote) neutral throw, st. lk, lp lunge, neutral j. lk dive
(corner) neutral throw, hp shoulder, j. mk dive (fake xup, all dps whiff minus Oni hp dp(1 hit) and EX dp)
(corner) end combo in mk dp, j. mk dive (quick rise setup, fake xup, all dps whiff minus Oni hp dp(1 hit) and EX dp)

Placeholder

Placeholder 2

I was going to add a couple that work on 4f+ reversals but you’ve already got them covered. Namely the blah combo -> MK Upkicks, neutral jump MK.

A good one is, off back throws into the corner, just jump forward MK. Works against 4f+ I believe.

Another 4f+ safejump midscreen off a forward throw is dash, whiff St. LP, St. LK, jump forward MK.

thx and please continue researching. i will test all of them and use those i feel comfortable with. i already heavily use the throw - mp shoulder ones…

I’ll give these a look and add em to the list!

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you safejump shotos with 3 frame reversals? Aren’t the landing frames 4 frames? I keep getting hit and the only way i can make it “work” is by whiffing the j.mk…thus not making it a safe jump at all. If they work, well they are extremely finnicky.

After the timing mechanism you use, when you jump, aim the mk for the knee/shin area.

Monopr’s method can be hard to time at times, which is why I decided to find a new timing thing. The kara palm feint usually put you in a good space to get the jump to hit in that area.

As reference, check out Monopr’s video to see how he times the safe jump. Note where the j. mk hits in this example around the 4:25 mark.

EDIT I’ll be updating the OP with Cammy stuff in about 30-45 minutes! I’m still experimenting on this one setup, because I believe you can Unblockable her in the corner, but I have not been able to find a suitable timing mechanism to get the crossup block hit.

Cammy stuff is up!

Take a look at the last corner set up, and see if some of you can play with the timing to get it to hit xup.

Bumping this up. I’m gonna look more in depth with Shotos and Gief tomorrow sometime.

What about (reversal safe) set ups faking the safe jump but actually going into OS tech cr.lk combos (as a low mix up), maybe even using the lp lunge OS?

I often use f.throw mp shoulder in empty jump low cr.lk or an empty neutral jump after mk upkicks, but i do not know all the match up specifics.

If there is a realiable 4/5fr safe jump (e.g. nj.mk after mk upkicks), you can usually build up a cataloque of options around it like:

• true 4fr safe jump (high mix up) for combo or on block mix ups
  • empty 3fr safe jump in OS tech cr.lk (low mix up) vs. 3fr reversal in combo or on block mix ups
  • some sort of cross up dive kick…
    etc.

I haven’t gotten a good look at doing meaty cr. tech on more characters yet, but, from the ones I’ve put up so far, I know that it will work on Boxer, and perhaps Rose. I’ll double check it to confirm it.

I’ve worked out these scenarios quite a bit in the lab. Also don’t forget you can option select a lunge punch into your safe jumps before you even hit the ground.

On block mix-ups include:
-Cr. LK OS lunge punch OS
-Staggered Cr. LK
-Overhead hop kick (not fond of this command normal outside of situations where you can combo after it, of which I have several, and occasionally in footsies)
-Throw
-Command grab or tick command grab (I usually do Cr. LKx2 to hit confirm and if they block, I sometimes command grab)
-Cross up dive kick if you’ve trained them well to just block
-I’m a big fan of walk back, St. LP into combo. Something about me walking back makes people wanna press buttons.
-Gootecks shimmy (Cr. MP, walk back a split second, enough to stand but not enough to actually walk back, then Cr. MP into combo of choice.) Remember Cr. MP has a GREAT hitbox that extends out beyond its hurtbox so it’s quite difficult to get counterhit. You could also just do Cr. LP, which is 2f faster and also has a great hitbox.
-Fake palm. When people see the palm start up animation, they usually just sit there or try to hit you before non feint palms become active. If I go for that, I usually do fake palm into Cr. LP to try to counterhit or command grab if I think they usually sit and block palms.
-Frame traps. I’m a huge fan of Cr. LP, St. LP, Cr. MP, [St. MP or Cr. MK]. If I go for this, it’s only after training them by doing Cr. LP, St. LP, throw.
-Backdash if they have a history of mashing DP during your pressure.
-If I’ve trained them to try to tech or they’re the type who’s going to just throw something out when they shouldn’t, I also sometimes do lowest height dive kick from a neutral jump.

These are general options, nothing match up specific.

Cross up dive kicks depend on the character you’re fighting. Quite difficult to do correctly on characters that are hunched over or have otherwise boxy hurtboxes, such as Balrog and T Hawk. There are other characters like Akuma and Fei Long that you can do forward jump LK dive kick to cross up or do neutral jump MK dive kick timed meaty and as they’re getting up, you’ll hit their back leg and such.

Although for most match ups, cross up dive kicks lose to auto correct DPs.

I do see Kazunoko going to a fake safe jump set up quite frequently. After a forward throw, if you wait a slight moment then forward jump x2, J. MK, you get a safe jump set up but I usually see him going for cross up dive kicks or empty jump into low/throw etc.

EDIT: lmao I ended up making 2 more on the spot guys hope you like these they are better than I thought they would be. I saw this thread and was planning to get my lazy ass to post some goodies here. Finally had the will in me to make newer ones too.

These are two (now four) as far as I know I made myself. Don’t know if they have ever been mentioned prior to this.

#1. The Double dive. (3F Reversals blocked)

[PC:Works
360:Works
PS3:Works]
(originally tested on pc seeing how those 3 aren’t the same retested it works on all three)

Here you go, enjoy.
Beats all versions of shoryuken as you see and it works EVERYWHERE. looks less ambiguous mid screen but as you see in the end if it is done towards a corner you will most likely get that shoryuken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX8oJnf8xLQ

========How============
Step 1: foward grab.
Step 2: neutral jump lk dive
step 3: as soon as nj. light kick dive is over neutral hk dive.
step 4: block.
step 5: delay tech if need be

Note1* : This dive kick will miss it is intended to miss. It is a frame tight safe dive.
Note2* be prepared to know which side to block because this is frame tight and things happen really fast.

#2. ** The Single ** (3f reversals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUO_6sk1ovo
=========How================
Step 1: forward grab.
Step 2: Kobokushi Feint (qcb+LP)
Step 3: * Slight pause*
Step 4: Jump in heavy kick dive.
Note * This dive is not from the highest height, and it is a jump in making it more demanding than conventional safe jumps. But practice or just a sharp eye and you will get it . It is a very slight rise.

***After looking at the video, yun’s arms raise up and touch the health bar when you drop the dive. so the height is just starting to reach the 6th vertical cube.

Step 4: Block

#3. ** One Spin ** (3F and F.Thunder knuckle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGMlTxWmvk

Step 1: Forward Grab
Step 2: Overhead
Step 3: Jump in (NOT NEUTRAL) Heavy Dive kick (Height looks like his hat just touches the 8th vertical cube)
Step 4: Block

===========================

#4. Double Crossed. (2F Reversals+ BLOCKED)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqfemhHVDYs

============How==============
Step 1: Forward Grab.
Step 2: Heavy Lunge Punch (travels past the opponent, now you are on a new side)
Step 3: Immediately do a jump in (NOT NEUTRAL) heavy dive kick as fast as you can to get back on the side you came from, and have it as low to the ground as you can so that you land near your opponent.
Step 4: Block.

the last one looks pretty awesome
ill try them out thanks!

I really like the f.throw - whiff cross up HP lunge - cross up dive kick.

But I would actually go for the dive kick hitting cross up (in combo or block mix up) and maybe some complementary left/right dive kick mix ups. I will test as soon as I have the opportunity.

EDIT:
After Yun scored a far hk during footsies or mix ups, you can also go into immediate j.hk dive kick with variable timing:

• early dive kick will end up as sort of a safe jump on quick stand to stay in close range
  • slightly delayed dive kick will hit the opp on their toes (e.g. for slow reversals like Sakura or Rose)
  • if opp does not quick stand you can manually time a cross up dive kick on wake up (still testing for further options)

After mk upkicks - 4fr safe jump nj.mk on quick stand I also really like to go in jump cancelled cl.mk launcher mix ups in dive kick pressure if blocked. still testing though as risky…

I’ll test all of these and add em!

Thanks.

Well if you are actually going for the contact and they mash and get lucky they will hit your dive kick.
With this, luck is not a factor they will be blocked.

As a mixup you can train them to not mash and go for it. I posted it in this fashion for reasons.
I saw from dafeetlee that there is even a divekick that will crossup , and stuff shoryuken but you will not be able to go into cr.lp on Ryu

You can connect into cr.lp on ken though. If you come up with a 1frame block divekick that combos on ryu on wake up please post.

Yes, there are certainly risks, but better player do not mindlessly mash and low height cross up dive kicks in cr.lp combos can work to open up opponents. I shortly tested the set up in the meantime, unfortunately to make the cross up dive kick make contact, you have to activate the dk quite late making it easy to react to it; nevertheless the whole thing is interesting and will play around with it later…