There is no Shortcut to Perfection! Dudley Indepth Matchup Discussion DAY 10: Ken

dudley

There is no Shortcut to Perfection! Dudley Indepth Matchup Discussion DAY 10: Ken

NOTE: This is my attempt to reorganize the Dudley boards, To better help each other out we can have indepth discussions on characters every day in order to help players have a better understanding of the matchups. Granted alot of this is going to be based of personal experiences of the players and how they feel that matchup is going. Each of these threads will be linked to a stickied master thread that will be easily accesed by players viewing this board. the main points that players would like to emphasize for players to understand the matchup will be edited into this post, therefore i will not be adding my own opinions until we get a discussion going So lets get on with it.

Note 2: Also when posting in this thread, post who you would like to see discussed the next day and ill continue the trend like that.

DUDLEY
indepth matchup discussion
DAY 10: Sept 13th

Dudley vs. Dhalsim

Tier list matchup
Dudley: 5 Ken: 5

IPLAYWINNER SUPER STREET FIGHTER 4 TIER LIST - AUGUST2010 - iPLAYWINNER - FIGHTING GAME NEWS STRATEGY & MEDIA

Dudley Board Opinion Matchup

KEY POINTS

Recommended Ultra:

Every rose has it's thorn: Dudley Match-up Index

Recommended Ultra:
In my opinion, either one really works here. Ultra 1 is great to punish poorly spaced fireballs and poorly though out sweeps, but since Ken players normally rely more on their DPs and links than zoning a lot with fireballs, Ultra 2 is just as viable, if not more.

I’d just use corkscrew. If they’re throwing fireballs, punish with duck straight for the free damage and back dash. Let them come to you. Focus outside of their cr. mk range to bait the step kick for a free crumple. Anti air with standing forward and crouching roundhouse. This one is pretty simple if your defense is tight. Just don’t try anything risky and play patiently.

I lose all day vs this guy… cross-counter his cross-ups? lol… don’t have any key advice. Maybe a lot of lv2 focuses while baiting his f.mk? i dunno

Ultra corkscrew you can easily punish his SRK with st.hk exmgb xx or st.hp for damage also learning f.mk st.hk is awesome vs this matchup since most of the ken players just tapping the lp button:]

Stay outside c.mk range and focus or c.mk. if they notice u like to focus they might try hurricane which u can stuff with s.hp if u spot it early. Ofcourse online the most important thing is to punish their idiotic jump ins and to score a knockdown to see their habits. I use U2 because I’ve yet to fight a GOOD ken relying on fireballs. I’d say this matchup is 5 : 5 because ken lacks the fireball game that ryu has.

U2 for this matchup

Be ready to throw tech a lot, kara throws are a bitch.

Corkscrew on this one for sure.

I can’t seem to find any opportunities to use Rolling Thunder against a good Ken, either than through Fireballs, whiffed Hurricanes or cr. MK->Fireball links in which the cr. MK was done too far (giving me enough time to activate U1 and go through the Fireball but Corkscrew can do all that too).

I find a lot of Shotos (Ken especially) like to use cross-ups. As long as you are comfortable with the inevitable block string or tick throw after you block their attempt, you’ll be fine.

Staying out of cr. MK range works best for me. I tend to apply pressure with either st. Fierce or the LK, MP, HP chain. Once you get Ken in the corner…it’s over.

This match up is similar to fighting Ryu. Except you don’t have to worry about Metsu Hadouken which takes a lot out of the game. Other than people who get spam happy with his fierce shoryuken. I’d recommend U2 for this match up.

Try to focus his c.mk if possible. A good Ken will always go c.mk xx hadouken. So be prepared to deal with a lot of that for spacing purposes. Punish bad shoryukens. Try to avoid jumping in too often unless you can get it with badly spaced hadoukens or if you’re gonna safe jump him on knockdown. Tatsu’s are punishable by correctly spaced s.hp or f.hp. May take a bit of practice but it becomes pretty easy. Either that or duck Tatsus and get him with c.hp. When you interrupt Tatsus usually watch out for a shoryuken afterwards to get you off him.

This match up is honestly a hell of a lot easier than a match up with a good Ryu or Akuma. Just keep your wits about you, don’t throw yourself into overly dangerous situations. Bait out shoryukens and badly spaced hadoukens. And f.hp that asshole to the losers bracket. :slight_smile:

This matchup is pretty much both players trying to bait the other player out and reading them. Learn to tech throws and try to get in.

With the ryu matchup i try to cr.rh/cr.mk his cr.mk because it seems to knick them into a knockdown but I feel that Ken’s cr.mk is a lot harder to hit. So i’d say to probably focus them since Dudley’s focus is so good

make sure you use up meter and have meter for your wake up EX DP’s as a get out move but don’t throw them out too predictably. EX cross counter also works on your wakeup game but again it’ll work against you if you throw them out too predictably (Since they may just jump in and go for throws)

• I use ultra 2, since Ken’s will rarely use fireballs anyway. Smart ones will certainly not use them when you have U1 up and it feels just as hard to get in on ken when he isn’t using fireballs. So, I go with the more likely damage of U2.

• Ken has slightly longer recovery than Ryu does on his normal Hadouken, so you can get away with punishing using HK ducking straights from slightly farther away than you would be able to against Ryu. Which can sometimes make it a little easier to bait a hadou out if you stand on the edge of where Ken would normally feel safe throwing them out from.

• I only recommend focusing his cr.MK if you do it sparingly. Sometimes you can space it just right and get a crumple on a trade with the buffer hadou, but this has been rare for me. Normally I just focus and eat a hadou for free. It sounds backwards, but the less I focus cr.MK, the more I manage to land them. I try to save my focus attempts for his F+MK instead as it is a safer move to try to get a crumple on.

• Ken can actually push Dudley out with incredible ease with cr.LK as well, which makes it hard to try and mix up with overhead’s in the middle of your normal block strings. If you don’t see a Ken taking advantage of this, then start mixing in overheads with your block strings immediately and save yourself some trouble.

• Punish Tatsu’s on reaction with cr.FP, or FP/f+FP. I prefer to use cr.FP since it is the generally the safer than FP but less damaging. If you duck it entirely, just f+FP them. I suppose you can also ultra/ex Upper on reaction as well. cr. Jab and cr.MP work also, but don’t offer amazing incentive to use.

• You can try to trip their cr.MK with your cr.MK, or cr.HK but you have do be pretty psychic or they have to be pretty obvious in order to land this. A good Ken will sniff this out and just jump in on you for free if you try to rely on this too often.

• I have taken to trying to bait a cr.MK with the intention of blocking it and then LK Ducking on reaction through his buffered fireball. It is easier said than done, but it yields high reward for less risk than jumping in or trying to counter poke it. This is also a generally good tactic in the Ryu fight as well. However, I’ve seen smart Ken’s sniff this out and they switch to poking with cr.LK first, which generally whiffs, then they cr.MK xx Hadou to punish the duck. So I recommend taking advantage of all of the methods mentioned for getting around that stupid MK and not looks for just one way to deal with it.

-Something minor to note for newer Dudley players. You can punish a whiffed LP Shoryuken from farther away than you would assume with st.RH. This isn’t important on MP/FP versions since obviously have all the time in the world to punish. But even though LP SRK pushes you back seemingly far, you can still RH xx whatever without adjusting position. Punishing a LP SRK like that will often cause them to pause on using their LP SRK’s shorter recovery to mash out a HP SRK against your punish.

Imo, I’d almost say this match is 6-4 for Ken, but I’m a bit of a pessimist. With a more level head, I’d say it is near 5-5 with a minor advantage for Ken since he can zone Dudley out easier and can generate offense easier as well.

Sorry for the wall of text.

i always get backed into a corner and face a ken that does this: f+mk, cr mk xx fireball.

I’ve tried focusing the f+mk but he always blocks the focus attack. Am i releasing the focus attack too late or am I trying to punish a move that can’t be punished in this way? i want to spam cr lp in between the f+mk and cr mk but it seems to get stuffed a lot… I dont know why. fucking hate block strings.

It depends on a few things. You can land level 2 it if you start your focus early and they kick either late or from a little further away. Most of the time you will only land a level 1 focus against a f+MK, in which case backdash/block or whathaveyou.

CC for sure. ken’s wont play the fireball game with you when theirs is so bad to begin with.

Out of all the shotos, it is Ken that gives me the most hell!!
That annoying f+mk, cr mk pokes of his is just… ARRRRGH!!!

Ken’s the # 1 shoto on the F’ You list!! Which is comprised of Guile, 'sim, T. Hawk, Rose, Chun-Lil, Cammy and Sakura

Ken isn’t that difficult of a match - especially online. 19/20 Kens are terrible. Damn near every Ken on PSN uses this “strategy”: Walk back, throw a couple of hadoukens, jump backward with fierce kick or jump forward with tatsu. If doing a jump-in, they will ALWAYS attempt to cross you up, no matter how many times you foil their attempts. Oh, and lest we forget the SRK spam. Lol.

These people have turned Ken into a joke. I love taunt #8ing and throwing roses at runaway Kens.

Be wary if you come across a legit player that actually knows a combo that isn’t “jab jab SRK.” I can’t really add anything that hasn’t already been said in this thread.

That’s PSN for you

What are the usual ken kara throw setups? (blockstrings, off whiffed normals, etc…)

I can’t believe I didn’t see this one. My roommate plays as Ken and he’s pretty good. Kara throw set ups for Ken go something like Cross-up > cr. jab X2 > Karathrow. You can actually beat this clean with crouch jab, but your timing has to be tight and you have to guess correctly otherwise you are eating a delayed a crouch forward. Once Ken has established the Karathrow you also have to watch for him mixing in regular tick throws. Also, good Ken players make their cross-ups ambiguous or mix it with empty safe jumps. Let me tell you blocking ambiguous Ken cross-ups is HELL. Having 4 cross-up options that can lead to combos (jump-in fierce, jump-in forward, jump-in short, ex tatsu) sucks, since they all come in at different angles.