Things you just don't understand about ST

You CAN tech a normal throw but you CANNOT soften the throw if the full non-softened damage of the throw will kill you. A tech and a soften are actually two different things as well. You can tech a throw that will kill you and you will see the [media=youtube]bhSWzWnMNO4&#t=2m02s"]full throw tech animation (aerial recovery) but your character will still eat the full damage of the throw (damage will not soften). Here’s Dictator throwing O.Honda [for comparison. If you don’t tech a throw that will kill you, then you eat the ground recovery version of the throw (non-tech version) and the damage isn’t softened as well.

Can’t happen. The game calculates that you are dead [media=youtube]-xA1u0Y3AKw"]before you can soften the damage of the throw](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLO35aWgNRI&#t=24s"[/media). Even though you go immediately into the aerial recovery animation that a tech throw produces you still eat the [URL=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCFhnI_y4Y&#t=6m49s”[/media].

Basically yes. If someone is near death and they manage to tech a throw and soften the damage they just lucked out.

While I’m here I’ll throw this out as well as I haven’t seen many people talk about it. Chun’s normal throws are bugged in two ways. The first is that you can throw your opponent [media=youtube]SDhx0haHhKQ"[/media] and are standing. Normally you have 13 frames of throw invulnerability when you wake up. However Chun’s normal throws often ignore that rule and allow the player to immediately threaten a throw on wake up. I’ve seen Claw’s off the wall throw ignore that rule as well. Second is that Chun’s normal throws do enormous damage, sometimes even on the level of command throws, which I would estimate is not intentional and is likely a bug.

I still don’t understand how NKI did Cammy’s super in the air.

^word.

someon explain. i wanna do blanka air super lol.

I have a deep knowledge of ST and I basically understand all of the mid/high level tactics. But there’s one thing that completely baffles me-the dizzy system in ST/HDR. What the fucking hell is up with that system? Please someone explain this to me.

I suspect my sparing partner understands the system. In our matches, I routinely get dizzied by him at weird moments of the match-like the first attack of matches. He will not explain to me what the fuck is going on though. If anyone wants to share any insight about how it works, I’m all ears though.

One word randomness. The engine has a random factor that no one can explain.

Maj and the ST Wiki have tried to explain it:

I also remember something about an instant dizzy by an attack or combo within the 1st 10 seconds of a round that wouldn’t normally dizzy outside of the 1st 10 seconds, but I can’t find an article or post that relates to that right now.

One thing that puzzles me…is how the fuck do you get blanka’s super to not roll back after you block it in a corner.

Seems to be random.

it’s controllable.

Thanks for being so in-depth. At first, I didn’t think I’d be able to process all that information in one sitting.

SeikouSeikouShita revealed to me a useful fact. Strong/Forward, your middle strength attacks, they inflict high amounts of stun. Looking at most touch of death combos, they do involve the use of those attacks. He told me to try neutral jump MP, st MP, sonic boom with Guile to gauge just how it works, usually the next hit will dizzy after that combo. All I know is that now I try to utilize medium strength attacks a lot more where it’s feasible/convenient. That’s not going to break open the whole stun system, but it does explain many characters and their frequency to stun.

yea i figured you might prefer an answer from someone of your own superior race, me just being a lowly sand ****** and all.

You’re right, next time don’t reply.

Dizzy system works randomly, but has consistancy as well, which is why JP Gied headbutt almost always dizzies:

-every single unblocked attack has an x% chance to dizzy regardless of how much dizzy dmg you have taken, i believe this number is 1/256 but I don’t remember whwre i got this number. This ould be the TRULY random dizzies.

-at the begining of the round, dizzies are much more likely, ten seconds sounds about right before dizzy goes to normal.

-the trick to mashing out of dizzies is two fold, most people only know half of it. Mash the buttons while wiggling the stick from d/b to up forward. Also, the best seattle ST player at mashing out of dizzy (ask anyone, XTG was insane at it), found it is way easier to maah out by starting as SOON as you stand up. Most people start mashing as soon as they see stars/bells/reapwrs while falling.

Another thing I can’t figure out, how come boxer’s super ends sooner sometimes? It has randomly saved me from being punished sometimes, but i don’t get it. Also, do TAPs charge based on the timer, or real world seconds? If timer seconds, certain stages boxer would have a bigger advantage because the timer is faster on them.

What causes those ‘flicker’ graphical glitches? Theyre in the DC vers as well as cps2. Also why is that square chunk missing out of Ryu’s stage? Is the tile not addressed right and its hidden in the rom somewhere? If you haven’t noticed it by now, you will never NOT see it from now on. :rofl:

This. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen Chun end the round with a ridiculous throw that does a ton of damage. It’s like, cr.shortx3 plus a full fierce DP’s worth of damage from Ryu, and you die despite tech’ing of course. I often wonder what the game would be like if “throw killing” was removed. Obviously characters with a throw (as opposed to a hold/grab) would suffer.

No. Every move inflicts a random dizzy value that falls into a specific window for that move (just like how damage is calculated). So Zangief’s headbutt randomly does between 90-something percent and over 100 percent dizzy when you use it. Which is why sometimes it dizzies with one hit, and sometimes it does not cause a dizzy. The only attacks in the game that can cause a dizzy in one hit are Zangief’s vertical headbutts.

No matter how many times you try, a jab shouldn’t one hit dizzy anyone just like a jab doesn’t have a random chance to one hit kill anyone either. There is no 512 Dizzy in ST like the World Warrior 512 Special. There would be countless video examples of one hit dizzies with various moves if that was the case.

As far as normals go, jab and short inflict the least amount of dizzy, then strong and forward, and then fierce and roundhouse. Some throws, special attacks, and command throws follow the same pattern with causing stun. Meaning the fierce/roundhouse versions do the most stun. However some specials and throws do the same dizzy regardless of strength. Supers inflict dizzy as well. Holds inflict so little stun that it is basically impossible to cause a dizzy with them. If a normal throw would cause a dizzy then you cannot tech or soften the throw as well.

I don’t think so. Zangief’s headbutt seems to be the same and so do Dictator’s big ToD combos. It doesn’t seem like the timer matters at all.

If Boxer’s Super whiffs then it cancels the next rush punch, I believe unless you’re holding down a button in which case you’ll get a massive whiff animation of multiple rush punches. The high rush version of Boxer’s Super whiffs without canceling as you have to hold a kick button to activate it. There are more rules to this but I don’t know all of them.

It’s calculated by the game’s internal game clock so it’s constant across all stages. This is also why combos and safe jumps are constant across all stages as well as starting, active, and recovery frames. Ken’s fierce dragon punch always hits on the first frame on every stage.

Can you elaborate?

I thought it was mistake as well but if you look at the corner of the building it’s actually drawn that way on purpose. It looks horrible but it’s clearly not because of a missing art asset.

there’s definitely more dizzy potentional in your attacks at the start of the round. Plenty of times I’ve dizzied opponents with a small series of attacks at the beginning of a round that have never dizzied in the middle or end of one.

also, lol racism.

In ?h?? All?h

And yes i do know how but that is reserved for true believers and shalt not be taught to infidels.

VF4, I know every attack has a stun value of x amount with variance, i was talking about a chance dizzy attack on TOP of that, which would explain why TODs and Gief headbutt are consistent, yet people still get dizzied by silly stuff like jumping short.

And also I will have to disagree about the start of the round…just experience tells me that it is easier to get dizzied, and I didnt make that up, i read it somewhere…

About the graphic glitches, it seems like the backgrounds flicker sometimes, especially on Deejay’s stage. Its like the background flickers or corrupts for a brief moment.

And yes pleass keep racist bullshit out of a thread for the best fighter ever.

I didn’t say anything, those morons brought it up, lol. I asked a legitimate question, already got my answer playing around in FBA-RR, I can consistently stop the hop back on blanka’s super. They’re just butt hurt over some nonsense on ggpo. Taking the internet way too seriously.

Yep… mediums generally do the most stun in the game. It is 100% false that it goes littles to hards in terms of how much an attack dizzys. There is random moves that do not follow this pattern. But in general this is how dizzys work. And neutral jump attacks for every character not just geif also generally if not every single character are there highest dizzying attacks. Dizzys also arent quite as random as I think people belive. The thing is you have to remember if a character is knocked down and then they stand back up you have to basically take away around half of the points of the dizzy of the move that knocked them down. Other wise besides a bit of randomness its pretty possible to tell when something will dizzy. Again the problem is really just remembering to subtract the move that knocked down if it didnt dizzy.