Think about building/buying a gaming pc?

i run an i5-3570k and a gtx 660, 8gb ram. all of the newer fighting games run fine. bear in mind though, the online communities for FGs are alot smaller when compared to Xbox live/PSN and the netplay falters at times. is there a specific reason you want a PC over an Xbox1/PS4?

I have an Xbox one, I just don’t really want a ps4. But there are a lot of older fighting games I want to get in too and I really want street fighter V. So I thought pc would be the way to go

I have an Alienware Alpha with i5. Yes, it would’ve been cheaper if I had built one myself, but I like how compact it is and quiet. I bought Blazblue and also installed Dong Dong Never Die and Hyper Dragon Ball Z. I do wish there were more fighting games on Steam tho.

If you only care about 1080p gaming at decent FPS (or easily max out FPS in fighting gmaes) then all you need to do is get an i5 processor of the most current generation (Haswell right now) and an Nvidia gt960 or AMD equivalents of those (I am not a personal fan of AMD but I’m biased so go with what you want) along with 8GB of ram (go more if you can afford it but it’s not needed for fighting games or most things in general right now). Get the cheapest but highest rated components around those three things (mobo, power supply, case etc.) and you’ll build a pretty good PC at a good price that will last you for a number of years without having the desire to upgrade. If you want to get a higher resolution monitor than 1080p or do Twitch streaming you might run into some issues though so keep that in mind while building.

Not to steal threads away from Tech Talk but if ever you have questions feel free to come ask in The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk

We have quite a few pc building enthusiasts in there and I do try to check it at least once a day. I’m no expert but I usually know someone who can try to answer your questions!

Welcome to the fold if you decide to!

Hey everyone,

Always wanted to build a gaming/streaming pc from scratch and the announcement of sf5 really gave me the motivation to get it going. I strongly suggest using pcpartpicker.com to plan your build as it ensures compatibility between parts and also finds the best deals and rebates on the net. I estimated that i saved about $300-$400 using the site and got a much better build for my $1000 budget.

Specs: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Board / Intel Core i7 4970K quad 4.0 procs / MSI Radeon R9 GFX 4GB Card / Team Dark Series 16GB RAM / 256 Crucial SSD + 500GB SATA HD / EVGA 1000W Power Supply / NZXT S340 White Case / 2x ASUS VH236 “Evo” Monitors / Bose Companion 2 Speakers / Logitech C920 webcam / Windows 8.1 / Madcatz Strike 3 Keys, RAT 3 Mouse, and FREQ 3 headphones. I set this up right next to my custom head to head arcade setups patched in via an Elgato game capture hd. Let me know what yall think or if you guys need any help getting started…

I am so sorry (on several different levels). But honestly to anyone else I would not recommend any model of the Alienware Alpha.
For what you get, I can’t justify the price. Maybe if the (last gen) graphics module was not soldered into place.

Amen.

@ash37 What I would do if I was you.

1. List everything you want to run/do on your Gaming PC.
  2. @Tensho Suggested, look up the minimum requirements for all your software. This will serve as a base line.
  3. Figure out your Budget, how much you are willing to spend
  4. Figure out what form factor, brand of CPU (AMD or Intel) ect (depending on your budget this could change)
  5. @jonyfraze suggested, go to pcpartpicker.com, play around with several build ideas. If you have to repeat step 4.
  6. order, build, proffit

P.S. Do not forget to factor in cost of a OS.

Thanks for the help guys. @jonyfraze that is an awesome office/game room

thanks @ash37 - good luck man and keep us posted with your build…

Yeah I will, sorry but I think I’m going to go with that case you have, it’s pretty sleek and cheap

They have it in black too. Great reviews on the web for it that’s why I went for it.

I have the same, just be wary it scratches up mad easily. I’m thinking of getting a mITX board and going for a Hex Gear case.

Always wanted to build my own rig however the announcement of SF5 really gave me motivation to get it going this time. I strongly recommend using pcpartpicker.com as it not only guarantees compatibility between the parts your choose, and it also find the best prices around the net and actively looks for rebates. i calculated i saved about $400 bucks using this site and got a far better build for my $1000 budget. It runs any game i throw at it at full settings and destroys the USF4 benchmark at 300fps.

Specs: #ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Board / #Intel Core i7 4970K quad 4.0 procs / #MSI Radeon R9 GFX 4GB Card / Team Dark Series 16GB RAM / 256 #Crucial SSD + 500GB SATA HD / EVGA 1000W Power Supply / #NZXT S340 White Case / 2 x #ASUS VH236 Evo Monitors / #Bose Companion 2 Speakers / #Logitech C920 webcam / #Windows 8.1 / #Madcatz Strike 3 Keys, RAT 3 Mouse, and FREQ 3 headphones.

Closeup of Build:

Workspace area where I set this up right next to my custom head to head arcade setups patched in via an #Elgato game capture hd.

Hey all,

Always wanted to build a PC from scratch for gaming / streaming and the announcement of SF5 really gave me the motivation to get it going. Here’s my recent build. I stronly recommend using pcpartpicker.com as ensure compatibility as you choose your parts and also find the best deals & rebates on the net.

Specs: #ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Board / #Intel Core i7 4970K quad 4.0 procs / #MSI Radeon R9 GFX 4GB Card / Team Dark Series 16GB RAM / 256 #Crucial SSD + 500GB SATA HD / EVGA 1000W Power Supply / #NZXT S340 White Case / # 2 x ASUS VH236 “Evo” Monitor / #Bose Companion 2 Speakers / #Logitech C920 webcam / #Windows 8.1 / #Madcatz Strike 3 Keys, RAT 3 Mouse, and FREQ 3 headphones. I set this up right next to my custom head to head arcade setups patched in via an #Elgato game capture hd.

Hey everyone,

Always wanted to build a gaming/streaming pc from scratch and the announcement of sf5 really gave me the motivation to get it going. I strongly suggest using pcpartpicker.com to plan your build as it ensures compatibility between parts and also finds the best deals and rebates on the net. I estimated that i saved about $300-$400 using the site and got a much better build for my $1000 budget.

Specs: #ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Board / #Intel Core i7 4970K quad 4.0 procs / #MSI Radeon R9 GFX 4GB Card / Team Dark Series 16GB RAM / 256 #Crucial SSD + 500GB SATA HD / EVGA 1000W Power Supply / #NZXT S340 White Case / 2x #ASUS VH236 “Evo” Monitors / #Bose Companion 2 Speakers / #Logitech C920 webcam / #Windows 8.1 / #Madcatz Strike 3 Keys, RAT 3 Mouse, and FREQ 3 headphones. I set this up right next to my custom head to head arcade setups patched in via an #Elgato game capture hd. Let me know what yall think of if you guys need any help getting started…

Hey everyone,

Specs: #ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Board / #Intel Core i7 4970K quad 4.0 procs / #MSI Radeon R9 GFX 4GB Card / Team Dark Series 16GB RAM / 256 #Crucial SSD + 500GB SATA HD / EVGA 1000W Power Supply / #NZXT S340 White Case / 2x #ASUS VH236 “Evo” Monitors / #Bose Companion 2 Speakers / #Logitech C920 webcam / #Windows 8.1 / #Madcatz Strike 3 Keys, RAT 3 Mouse, and FREQ 3 headphones. I set this up right next to my custom head to head arcade setups patched in via an #Elgato game capture hd. Let me know what yall think of if you guys need any help getting started…

Hey everyone,

Specs: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Board / Intel Core i7 4970K quad 4.0 procs / MSI Radeon R9 GFX 4GB Card / Team Dark Series 16GB RAM / 256 Crucial SSD + 500GB SATA HD / EVGA 1000W Power Supply / NZXT S340 White Case / 2x ASUS VH236 “Evo” Monitors / Bose Companion 2 Speakers / #Logitech C920 webcam / Windows 8.1 / Madcatz Strike 3 Keys, RAT 3 Mouse, and FREQ 3 headphones. I set this up right next to my custom head to head arcade setups patched in via an Elgato game capture hd. Let me know what yall think of if you guys need any help getting started…

Hey everyone,

Specs: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Board / Intel Core i7 4970K quad 4.0 procs / MSI Radeon R9 GFX 4GB Card / Team Dark Series 16GB RAM / 256 Crucial SSD + 500GB SATA HD / EVGA 1000W Power Supply / NZXT S340 White Case / 2x ASUS VH236 “Evo” Monitors / Bose Companion 2 Speakers / #Logitech C920 webcam / Windows 8.1 / Madcatz Strike 3 Keys, RAT 3 Mouse, and FREQ 3 headphones. I set this up right next to my custom head to head arcade setups patched in via an Elgato game capture hd. Let me know what yall think of if you guys need any help getting started…

Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,