Thinking of making a custom plexi stick...some noob questions

Ok, some of my main concerns first:

I’ve been trying to figure out a good way to make the top panel,

Here’s what I have in mind:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1301/toppanelwithouttopcover.png

Light gray is top 1/16" Plexi, with hole cut to accommodate entire mounting plate of joystick, underneath is dark gray, which is also 1/16" plexi, with hole cut small enough to catch the screws from the mounting plate while the rest of the joystick assembly goes into the box.

A few questions about this:

How thick is the metal used on the mounting plate of, for example, JLF-8YT-SK?
Will it sit flush with light gray plexy when mounted to the dark gray? Or will it be recessed, and if so by how much (metric or standard, I can do the conversion :P)

My plan is to put the artwork in between the light gray plexi and an 1/8" plexi that will be used to cover the artwork and joystick mount.

This leads to my next question:

With 3 layers of plexi (2 1/16" and 1 1/8" = 1/4" of plexi) Will OBSF 30 snap ins have room to bite and stay secure? Or would I be running so thick that screw ins would make more sense, and if I used screw ins, would i need to tap threads in?

My planned dimensions for the box are 11.5" x 8.5" x 2.75", with 4 1"x1" supports on each inside corner, does this sound like enough room to fit a hacked 360 PCB and all the necessary wiring?

One more and I’m done for now, how much stick (minus ball) should be exposed from the topmost panel? Your choice, inches or mms. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks in advance to the greatest minds in joystick creation, SRK. (Is there something on my nose?)

Mounting Plate is 1.5mm being.

1/4" is too thick for Snap-in Buttons.

Why would you need to tap threads for Screw-in?
The Nut screws onto the Button itself.
Or you have different idea?

You put Button through hole.
Then you screw the Nut on.
Nut holds Button to Panel.

Case is high enough for parts, yes.

Joystick Shaft should be 24mm from top of panel to button of Ball Top.

[quote=“jdm714, post:2, topic:109215”]

Mounting Plate is 1.5mm being.

1/4" is too thick for Snap-in Buttons.

Why would you need to tap threads for Screw-in?
The Nut screws onto the Button itself.
Or you have different idea?

You put Button through hole.
Then you screw the Nut on.
Nut holds Button to Panel.

Case is high enough for parts, yes.

Joystick Shaft should be 24mm from top of panel to button of Ball Top.
[/Quote]

I guess I had a completely different idea of what screw-ins were lol. Actually sounds very convenient. I thought that outside part of the button casing had threads, and that I’d have make my own threads in the plexi.

Thanks for you answer on the mounting plate dimension, too.

It looks like I’ll be able to make this stick after all!

Now for the artwork…gimme your honest opinion(s)…

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2716/dudstick.jpg

Too plain? Too much? Does it look like amateur night?
Would you put it on a stick you own?

Art looks fine to me. To me, I like simple and that works…if you want more then put some effects or something in the lower right panel area but other than that, works for me. Good luck with the stick build and let us know how it turns out.

Nice art, though you might want to move dudley either to the left some or in between the buttons and stick; otherwise the dust cover will cover his head.

Unless its a clear dust washer !!! (consider your mind blown!)

Unless its a clear dust washer !!! (consider your mind blown!)