Third Strike Tiers

This is the tier list my friends and I come up with, tell me what yall think…

Top Tier
Chun Li
Yun
Makoto
Ken

2nd Tier
Urien
Dudley
Yang
Akuma

3rd Tier
Oro
Ryu
Alex

Bottom Tier in no particular order cuz we cant figure out whos better than who
Hugo
Q
Elena
Ibuki
Remy
Necro

Pure Garbage
Sean

you might wanna bump Necro into 3rd tier, but the difference between low 3rd and bottom is pretty negligible.

I’d agree with that listing if you stated the ‘in no particular order…’ disclaimer for all the tiers.

Q is definately not bottom tier - he’s second tier easily or high third at the lowest.

Thanks for the input, but which part of the top 3 tiers are u disagreeing with? just wondering…

OmegaRed : Q is good, but he has more bad match ups than he has good ones. If u get 3 taunts down ya hes pretty top tier, but thats a big if.

Nice job compiling the tiers.

For the sake of the thread here’s how I see things (characters in order):

1st Tier:

• Chun-li
  • Ken
  • Yun
  • Makoto
  • Urien

2nd Tier:

• Akuma
  • Yang
  • Dudley

3rd Tier:

• Necro
  • Alex
  • Ryu
  • Elena
  • Oro
  • Twelve

4th Tier:

• Hugo
  • Q
  • Ibuki
  • Remy

5th Tier:

• Sean

If anyone objects to the order I’ve put them in please feel free scrutinize it. :slight_smile:

I’ve been a serious Q user for quite some time now and I can say with-out a doubt in my mind he’s strictly 4rd tier material. To place him in the 2nd tier is to give him more credit then he deserves.

Hate to say it but it’s the truth.

Mind you I’m not saying it’s impossible for him to win matches, I’m just stating he has to work REALLY hard to win that’s all.

what do you people think about alex being a 2nd tier character? he can dish out a lot of damage and when he gets going he’s a stun machine, and he has a lot of hitpoints as well.

sure, he’s big and slow, but i think the advantages above outweigh these. (and i certainly don’t think he’s hugo or q slow.)

i don’t play alex myself, and i know one’s skill shouldn’t be put into consideration when theoryfighting, but i think alex has a lot going for him.

comments?

p.s. please tell me that ken is better than chun. i just refuse to believe that she’s the best character in the game :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The original Japanese tier list was…

Chun li
Ken
Makoto
Yun
Urien
Ryu
Dudley
Gouki
Yang
Oro
Ibuki
Elena
Necro
Remy
Alex
Q
Hugo
Sean
Twelve

Things have changed now though in Japans eyes Yun is better than Ken now Chun li and Yun are the most dominating in the game to them my friend said KSK told him Ken has just become predictable now and less popular.
Twelve is above Sean now even in Japan they don’t use Sean serious hes too damn stiff.
I think Gouki is next one down from Urien now if i recall.
And finally I belive Necro has moved up slightly since this.

not in order

1st Tier:
Akuma
Ken
Elena
Yang

2nd Tier:
Alex
Dudley
Oro
Remy
Yun

3rd Tier:
Q
ChunLi
Ryu
Makoto
Necro
Urien

4th Tier:
Hugo
Twelve
Sean
Ibuki

Prism:

I have conflicting feelings with Alex. I’ve just recently started playing him seriously (to help deal with the new wave of Urien players.) and I just don’t know anymore.

If I were to give him any grace I’d create a Tier 2.5 for him but that’d be rather tacky. :lol:

OmegaRed:

That’s a rather unique tier list you posted up. Would you care to explain characters like Chun-li, Makoto, and so forth are ranked so low? I’d like to hear you’re reasoning behind this.

Also you plan on attending the Showndown in the South tournamnet in Gainesville this weekend right?

If so look for a fellow that around 5’8" has ratty brown hair and is wearing a white T-shirt that features of a picture of Princess Peach (from Mario) and says in bold pink letters “HIGHER PEACH”, if you see me grab my arm, introduce yourself, and we’ll talk 3S and play some casual matches.

If you don’t see me just ask someone there to point out “SilverGear” and they’ll most likely point me out.

Chun-li: I think people give this girl way to much credit. She is easy to parry and has fairly low priority. The one main thing going for her is her wall jumping ability but that doesn’t help her much. With Yang I can just parry, fierce punch her to shit. She’s like Sagat in CvS2 she’s a great character for button mashers and when I first started CvS2 I did that but once you get down to it I don’t really see why people call her top tier.

Makoto: She’s incredibly strong I’ll admit but that doesn’t make her top tier. Yes she is harder to parry than most but still she has no mixup game so once you see one good Makoto if you can beat her you can beat all good Makotos.

Urien: I was debating where to place him because I think his abilities depend the most upon which SA he’s using. He should maybe be one tier up but definately not top tier. The way I in part look at making a tier list is characters that can just dominate everyone. Urien simply has to many weaknesses with his easy to parry moves - even in EX form so all he has is a really impressive corner hold and the fast enough characters like the ones I put in top tier can either warp out [Akuma/Yang] or DragonPunch out [all].

A lot of people say Yun should be before Yang but I fail to agree. Without the rolling kick move or even a short one like in CvS2 Yun suffers greatly.

Thats pretty random…

Did u just started playing 3s…

I guess u know more than the Japanese do…

Yeah she’s pretty fucking low priority. I’d say the lowest in the game.

Yeah Sagat obviously isnt top tier.

…that was beautiful man.
I love the part where you say she has no mixup game. Beautiful.

i definately know how that feels, bro. Preach on. Preach on.
When we use urien, we always pick urien, and end up wasting most of that time limit deciding on if we should use SAI or SA2 sometimes.

Yeah yang’s teleport has all that invincibility on the startup and shit.

yeah, i love Twelve’s and Q’s dragon punches.

wait, slow down, brother. You’re geting too technical. What is newbie’s term for “the rolling kick move” ?

Side Note: hey SRWILSON why dont you say something smart also?

Food for thought

This is Skill Smith’s tiers complied 1 month after the game was released. It’s kinda out of date now but it’s interesting to see how they thought the tiers were when the game came out. And these tiers are in order.

1. Yun/Yang
  2. Chun Li
  3. Ken/Akuma
  4. Urien
  5. Ryu
  6. Alex/Dudley
  7. Oro/Remy
  8. Ibuki/Elena
  9. Q/Sean/Makoto
  10. Necro/12
  11. Hugo

Interesting to see how almost everything is the same except now we know that Makoto should be within top 5 and Sean is dead last. Scary to see how accurate they were when the game was just released.

i typed a long response but its not worth the arguements that will follow it - post your tier list though please. I would love to hear what someone as open minded and obviously great at this game has to say.

top tier is pretty much set in stone.

chun
ken
makoto
yun

In alphabetical order only, since really, aside from Chun being #1, everyone else is a close 2nd.

I really don’t think Urien belongs up top, because the common thread among the top tiers is that they have some sort of abusable tactic, and incredibly high poking priority. Urien has the tactic, but really lacks the ability to keep people out like the top 4.

Also, really, the rest of the cast is nebulous. It’s really hard in my opinion to rank Necro, Alex, Dudley, etc. All the middle characters are just good, and are all so close to each other it’s hard to separate that into tiers. Personally, I would go:

Top Tier (In no order, other than Chun #1)
Chun
Ken
Makoto
Yun

2nd tier (so damn close to 1st)
Urien
Akuma
Ryu

3rd tier
Everyone else

Crap Tier
Sean

BTW, OmegaRed, we REALLY have to question whether or not you’ve actually played the game. It’s pretty well understood that Chun has some of the highest priority moves in the game (c.jab, c.forward/strong, back fierce, s.fierce, c.roundhouse, jump roundhouse, hell everyother move she has). One of the farthest most abusable kara throws. And, hands down, the AHVB of 3S. c.forward linked to SAII is the most dominating thing in the game right now because it makes you completely change your gameplan when Chun builds that 1 meter.

Also, Makoto has the best mixup game in 3S. Period. A close 2nd would be hugo, and that’s because he’s slow. She rushes down half the cast for free, and has the ability to land HUGE damage.

Yun >>> Yang because, and only because, he can turtle for 10 seconds, build up the shortest super bar in the game, then rush in and deal 50% damage. Wait, you are using SAIII yun, right? Only scrubs and Watts use anything else.

Yeah man what I said, which a friend of mine (whos playing in SBO and is in Japan at the moment) personally heard from KSK isnt smart um ok, I do agree with the views i made at the bottom that KSK told my friend in terms of Chun li and Yun and Twelve being better than Sean etc.

As for my OWN thoughts on the tier list mine would be…

Chun li
Ken
Yun
Makoto

2nd
Urien
Akuma
Dudley
Yang
Ryu

3rd
Necro
Alex
Oro
Q
Elena
Remy
Ibuki
Hugo

Bottom
Twelve
Sean

Thats how I see it.

erco - thanks for at least giving reasons instead of being an ass… I do have one question - Can you either show me a guide or a video that shows Yun taking out 50% of someone’s life using his SAIII? I can get 50% of Ibuki’s life but thats about the only character I can get that much life of.

Also for all of you:
Since you all seem to for the most part agree on the tier list why are you all putting Elena so low?

You have in your own signature you don’t use Elena! Why would you say she’s top tier? she has nothing except for camel toe! She’s only top tier when srwilson uses her and does combo breakers.

Alright now perhaps I’m confused on what top tier is… or you’re a hypocritical idiot. It was my understanding that by tier it is if someone were to master entirely every single character and then fight themself somehow what character would win just by being better. So since unless thats not the definition you are a hypocritical idiot since you are admitting that when played to the best of her ability she is top tier. … Good reasoning you have there White Reflection.

Now can someone give me a real answer to why Elena isn’t considered top tier?

Yep i can use elena quite well thanks for pointing that and in regards the the question elenas main fault is her offence is really weak doesnt do enough damage for my liking but I can still use her well and win and I can tell you first hand her best SA is Brave Dance.
With the exception of a couple of things she has fuck all priority and as I said her overall aresonal of moves just arent that strong in terms of damage.
She really takes ALOT of work to use effectivly and for her to stand a chance against the likes of Yun Chun li & Ken.