This may be a stupid question, but i'm new to the FGC

This probably a stupid question, but i’m fairly new to fighting games, obivously i was into street fighter when i was young though.
Anyway, i’m confused about the 3 different versions… and which one i should be buying.
Do i need original street fighter 4, then i have to buy superstreet fighter 4, then i have to buy AE??

Whats the deal with that, an explanation on what i need to purchase would be very helpful! Thank you so much.

P.S: i play on xbox

Play the latest one…which is SSF4:AE.
You can find it standalone at stores or XBL Marketplace…

Thanks for joining sir. We have a newbie Saikyo dojo section for this type of question. Next time you have something that you feel might be silly to ask just unload there and we’ll get to it as soon as possible.

The current version of street fighter 4 being played is Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012. There are a couple of ways you can go about getting the game: 1) Buy Super Street Fighter 4 and then the Arcade Edition DLC or 2) Buy a physical copy of Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. Regardless of the route you take, your once you have the game loaded you’ll be asked to download an additional patch which is where the 2012 portion comes from.

The game has been updated several times which is why it has the long name. The latest version is the one that will most likely get played at tournaments and your local sessions. The latest version also has combos and characters that the latter versions do not.

^THAT!

And it will look like this:

okok , but in order to play AE, i dont need super street right?
just find a copy that says, Super street fighter IV : Arcade edition

the current version of SF4 is AE 2012, which was an online update/balance patch to Super Street Fighter 4.

if you had a Super Street Fighter 4 disc, you would need to buy the AE update via DLC to be current… but now you can buy the AE game on disc and then get the 2012 update via DLC.

the original Street Fighter 4 has pretty much been abandoned by the masses outside of the few people that prefer that version of the game.

Like I mentioned: you can buy a used copy of Super Street Fighter IV and then download the DLC or just buy the physical copy which Monster posted. All roads lead to Rome on this one.

Pertho, thank you so much
XthaTGamerGuy , Thank you as well!!

I’m going to pick up super street tomorrow for 10$
Is it a good price?
then i just buy the DLC for 15?

or is cheaper to find a copy of AE

That is probably the cheapest route. Don’t worry about not finding the DLC since as soon as you put in the disc, it’ll let you know that there are thingies you can buy.

Newbie place is here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/newbie-saikyo-dojo.52/

Bit of advice before making threads: we’ve had many people join and ask questions in the form of thread. Make sure you search the forums because 99% of the time we have already answered it. This will save you time and will make the site cleaner. The character sub-forums will also have a Q&A section for each of them so please make sure you post your question in those threads before making one.

Not all of them are greatly organized but they will all have information you probably should know. Knowing where to post is half the battle.

G.I.PERTHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I noticed in the thread you started in General Discussion that you mentioned this

" Anyway i’m actually getting sick of starcraft, in order to compete with the best in that game you need to be playing at least 8-10 hours a day, with school and a part time job, that seems highly unlikely and i should of stopped sc years ago. "

If you still feel this way, then getting into fighting games will only reset your situation. If you’re motivated by EVO to start playing, then that’s great; if you want to casually play, then that’s great too, if you want to get really good and battle the best, then that is great too, but you are kidding yourself if you don’t think that you have to spend that 8-10 hrs a day to compete at that professional level., especially given that you are new to all of this. There is a LOT to learn, and one of the biggest things that will initially frustrate you is getting links down because the window of opportunity to connect them is pretty small.

My point is simply this: if you are inspired to play, then by all means play, but if you are inspired to win tournaments, then don’t expect to get there without that 8-10 hrs a day.

I just looked it up and it is actually cheaper to buy the full retail version of AE pre owned. It is about $18 that way at gamestop.
On the other hand if you bought regular old Super, it is $15. so combining that with the $15 DLC you’d be spending $30 total that route.
IMO just buy the full retail of Arcade Edition and save yourself the $12

I did find one at gametstop too, gonna pick it up in the morning for 17$

Warrior’s dream, Im pretty sure it is a lot harder for someone to make it in starcraft than it is in fighting games, i’m not saying im going to start playing fg’s and become the best, i’m far from that.
What i was saying is, coming home from work/school, then having to play starcraft, you most likey will lose every 1v1 that night, but coming home after a hard days of work and playing fg’s , you will at least win a match or two, and go to bed satisfied. What i’m trying to say is i’m going into this as a casual player, if i see potential then for sure i’ll work at it 6-8 hours a day, but i’m not looking for that kind of practice regiment, i already went through something similar with RTS.

I bought AE new at gamestop for $20 this year.(Xbox) for some reason they are selling SSF4 for more than AE

[media=youtube]a9U_C_q6WcU[/media]

playing fighting games at a high-competitive level takes years of dedication and countless hours of training. just getting the fundamentals down with your character will be quite the journey, let alone learning matchup specifics and setups, getting heavy execution things down like 1 frame links etc etc…you will be grinding it out for a while…fighters are far from easy.

Don’t you have to make it past the South Koreans to be considered good at starcraft or is that a different game I’m thinking of?

Based off the rest of her response, I think by “making it,” she means has a greater chance of just picking up the game and squeaking out a couple of wins against some random.

One of the things that is going to make or brake you is dexterity. I’m not simply referring to how well you can do a fireball or dragon punch motion, but how well you can reliably perform seemingly contorted motions in conjunction with predetermined button sequences with increasingly smaller windows to perform their input, all in high-pressure situations. Some combos have moves that give you a reasonable amount of time to input the next move, but a lot of the combos you see on stream give you 1/60 th of a second to make certain inputs in the combo sequence and if you miss, you’re getting punished. Sakura is a really good example of this. Uryo (A really good Sakura player) makes it look MUCH easier than it actually is. The ducking Cammy combo you may have seen is relatively easier, but the timing is still strict. If you just mash the jabs and the short kicks, the CPU will register it as its own combo, so when you try to connect with the short kick after the jabs, it won’t connect. It’s more like you hit kick, punch, pause ever so slightly, THEN connect with the short kick into the drill. Another contorted movement is Focus Attack Dash Cancelling (FADC), where you do a move, then hit medium punch and kick simultaneously (for the focus attack), then tap forwards or backwards twice to cancel the focus attack animation by dashing. This might not seem difficult, but one of Ryu’s main combos is to do the dragon punch, FADC, then do his ultra move (do a fireball motion twice and hit all 3 punch buttons). Doing this while you’re being pressured by an opponent is not trivial at all.

Another problem you may encounter depends on whether or not you use an arcade stick or the 360 controller. With the possible exception of the new 360 d-pad, the standard xb360 controller’s d-pad is TERRIBLE for fighting games. I can’t really speak for the MadCatz pads, but if you decide to go with an arcade stick, that in of itself has its own set of hurdles to overcome. But it’s not all bad. In this game, you have certain shortcuts you can do for input. For instance, the dragon punch motion is forward, down, down-forward + punch button, but another way to do it is to just hit down-forward twice and then hit the punch button. Another technique is called plinking, where you hit two buttons, but you hit the first slightly quicker than the second, which gives you a slightly better chance of hitting your links.

So yea, relative to SC II, the matches are shorter and you get breaks more frequently, but in exchange, you need to have a high level of dexterity in high pressure situations combined with matchup knowledge relative to your character. Including the mirror match, that’s 39 matches you have to know, per character you play.

SFIV may be easier to pick up and start playing relative to SC II, but it is not the pushover you think it is. Don’t be surprised if you have to work 6 hrs in training mode just to reliably FADC a move or practice combos with links in them.

I dont know where you got that information , I am pretty sure you will not win a single match untill maybe weeks into the game , especially if you are new you got no fundamentals and no execution , dont even think you will win a match or two.

I don’t know if you’ve been in the lower echelons of online play recently, but some of the people at the bottom are like… really bad. “Ken :f::d::df:+:hp: xN”-tier; e.g. will lose to anyone who is putting the remotest effort into learning the game.

The hard part about picking up a fighting game without any friends to help tutor you along is that what works at low levels (mashing srk all day long) won’t work in mid to high levels, and fighting people that mash that out all the time is actually pretty hard - especially for a new player.

Avoid ranked, stick with Endless matches, and if you can really hook up with someone else who is learning, or someone that is better and will actually want to sit with you in vent/mumble/voice chat and explain what’s going on. It’s amazing what an hour of actual tutoring can accomplish in what a week of ranked random playing could not.

Fighting games and RTS games are… different. I can’t really say one is easier than the other. They have different things that make each difficult. Fighting games are a lot more approachable and there are probably a lot of lower level players because it’s pretty casual-friendly (general perception to the public is that all fighting games are button mashers so people are likely to pick it up), but playing even some of the better players is like running into a wall. You are starting out at a hypothetical level 1. At the lower levels, you have an increased “random” factor so you may beat level 2s or level 3s once every few matches. I’m at about a level 5. My friend is at a level 6 and I can’t beat him but once every 20 matches. That’s not to mention the players that are better than him or the players better than them or the players better than THEM.