This might seem scrubbish, but i need help

well until now i played the 3d version of the game. it wasnt arcade, but i was very good at tons of characters. so a few months later i finally found out i can buy SSF4AE in steam, and play it on PC and i thought its going to be the best thing ever. i mean, whats so hard about doing a down forward light-punch? now the thing is, im literally doing everything in the speed of light. and for some reason the abillities doesnt really come out, only when i slowmotion my hands the moves work. for example oni’s second ultra, its a really time based ultra and when an enemy jumps at me i only have like, 2 seconds to ultra, so i can counter him. the thing is i fail every single time in doing it, im on a keyboard by the way. and im pretty damn sure that even if i get a stick ill be just as bad beacuse i suck at spinning things. it makes so much characters completly unplayable. how am i supposed to react and immediatly do the special if i have to press 40 buttons having a 50% chance to actually accomplish the move. so the main question is, is there anyway to make those shortcuts like the 3DS version has? like the Lite Button Config? i really just wasted 30 dollars if i cant get anything to make my SSF4AE playable.
i dont care if its a mod or anything, i just wanna be able to press tons of buttons in a single button. just like the 3ds version.

tl;dr = is there any way to get one button to do a special move? for example pressing J and it automatically does a shoryuken, just like in the 3ds version.

No.

Yes, there’s a way to get specials out easily. It’s called

Spoiler

gettin gud

I think Alt F4 is auto mapped to flash kick. No charging required.

Get a stick or a controller.
It will come easier.
Srsly.

On Pc you can get macro programs do what you want after you press a hotkey, and this hotkey can be a stick / keyboard / pad button…
All you need is program skills and 0 self esteem of course. If Brolly can be godtier with no fingers, how you explain your issues with 10 ?

Im sure you could make yourself a macro if you got creative but no ones gonna do it for you

but just know if you plan on doing this online it would most definitely be cheating

ah, you learned on 3DS and now you’re here in the big leagues… that’s pretty rough.

well, first of all, ditch the keyboard. get a pad, or stick, or hitbox, or whatever- since most keyboards have to be specifically made to be responsive enough (not even talking about stuff like n-key rollover). I mean unless you’re like one of those hardcore GGPO guys…

second, it’s… it’s execution man. This is 2D games. You’re just gonna have to sit down and practice, doing drills, ultra on 1P side, ultra on 2P side, grinding it out in training mode so you can bust it out at a moment’s notice. Yes, it makes your hands hurt, yes, it’s boring, yes, this is what everyone else is doing (otherwise they quit).

I mean as mentioned, you could set up some macros… but that’s generally frowned upon and nobody here is going to show you how to do that.

(I’ll be the first to let you know when they make the controller that hooks up to your brain…)

You could try playing some 3D games, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur… it’s just understanding the underlying concepts, the execution (usually direction+button) is generally not that hard. Though I don’t think any of those games are on PC…

tl;dr = what you’re suggesting is getting us to teach you how to cheat

If you don’t like learning how to manually do things, fighting games really aren’t for you.

well actually i trained a little, now i can execute most stuff. but im still pretty sure not even the hand of god could execute oni’s ultra 2 when you REALLY want it to. seriously, just to press all the buttons to do it and im already stunned.

A double half-circle is a really slow input. You could say that it’s meant to slow you down and/or trip you up; that this is part of balancing the game (putting this power behind an execution barrier).

It’s something you have to get used to. Normally, you have to account for the speed that you input things like this; so, if you don’t have the raw handspeed and/or a really good, early read, Ultra 2 wouldn’t be good used raw or as an anti-air. But, this doesn’t mean it’s useless; it means you have to set it up. Ask around [the Oni subforum](Oni Q&A Thread: Ask simple questions here! or use the search function, or watch Onis on youtube or SF4Tube that use Ultra 2. It just means that you have to wait for the right time, the right situation, taking into account your own handicaps, to use it.

For example- using it in corner or FADC combos. In both of these instances, Ultra 2 is buffered (during EX Tatsu or during the forward dash), meaning the speed of input can be less (since it is hidden during another move, hence “buffering”) and the timing requirement is looser. (If you look at my input history it’s not even clean; those inputs are all over the place… Ultra 2 still came out. Draw your own conclusions.)

Part of what makes things hard about games like fighting games and RTSes for beginners in that they have to think about each step individually. Experienced players on the other hand have grinded execution enough so that their subconscious just does stuff when they want to, or grinds that rhythmic macro routine to keep production chugging along in the background while your brain and mouse hand are assessing the situation in Starcraft.
Offloading the individual parts of a task to muscle memory and making “okay, I need to do a shoryuken. So, move stick right, move stick down, move stick right, now I need to press punch right?” which is a lot of individual things to be concerned with into one memory unit “Really? Thanks for the free DP” is a key part of expertise, and makes things really easy after a while. It’s quite universal, with the classic example being chess newbies who memorize individual pieces’ places while the expert’s unit of understanding is a boardstate. It’s why they can recreate sensible boardstates with high accuracy but suck at nonsensical arrangements just as much as the beginners.

To recap:
As a beginner you’re doing a lot of stuff that isn’t necessarily super hard in the absolute sense, but is very unfamiliar to you for now. Grinding out drills in training mode helps you compress the process of doing the move in your conscious mind and makes things feel a lot smoother.

To learn things like spacing and strategy, your subconscious pattern recognition engine needs food. The best way to feed it a bunch of ready references is to watch matches played by players who know what they’re doing. It’s probably more worthwhile to watch non-pros some, because they do easier to understand things that you can more readily strive towards.

The second part of feeding the subconscious is honing your own situational awareness. Play rounds just focusing on something, like correctly antiairing an opponent’s jumpins, or spacing your pokes well and the like. One thing at a time to develop a feel for it.

You’ll lose a lot, that’s guaranteed. Learning a fighting game is much like learning an instrument. It takes effort, and even the easiest games don’t hold your hand anywhere near as much as most modern games you might be used to. The payoff for perseverance is a crapton of fun in both learning things, improving and eventually just good times playing with others.

With a keyboard you’re really facing a barrier. Sure, at top levels it wouldn’t make so much of a difference, but the motion is much easier with a stick or controller.

actually a keyboard is very close to a hitbox, just remap your keys some. Youtube some hitbox videos and watch those guys explain moves, and i believe you can use a hitbox at tournaments. Otherwise its muscle memory, when i last played street fighter it was 18 ish years ago i think, yet when i picked up a controller i was able to do my moves a few weeks ago. But seriously think of your keyboard as a hit box, then all you gota do and see the combos as a typed sequence.

Example.

On a hitbox there is no down forward, up back or any angles, its all simple up down left and right, so a half circle would simply be “back>down>forward” typed out, even standing 720 rotations can be done stupid fast on a hitbox, it’s as legally close to cheating as you can get. If you are serious about SF stay legit so you could face other players one day.

Yes, keyboard is very close to a hitbox. Thing is, 99% of modern keyboards in existence are not mechanical, but craptastic membrane bullshit optimized for cheap cost and mass production, not response time and ability to process multiple buttons at the same time, let alone do so in some comfortable layout. This is why people recommended against using a keyboard.

If you have a solid mechanical keyboard, then yes, using a keyboard for fighting games is fine. If you don’t, it’s one of the worst forms of self-sabotage in controller choice you can possibly commit.

That is the most optimal way to do it, but as Komatik said, keyboards can be finicky.

Street Fighter on a keyboard? Oh, kid these days…

It’s timing and knowing when to press a button. You don’t have to wait for the animation to end, just know when to input a command, and execute it.
-Brother from the 3DS origins

I just pressed Alt F4 to see what it did and my browser closed. I’m dumb.

Edit: I gave you a LOL because I get the joke now.

Sorry, I still suffer from PTSD from trying to play 3ds SF4 against the unavoidable online one-touch flash kick army. I still occasionally lash out at certain triggers.

Maybe I should seek help.