Throw 'em all prison: rapists, child molesters, murderers and... X-men thieves

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A New York man has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for illegally uploading and distributing a copy of “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” before the movie’s premiere.
Forty-nine-year-old Gilberto Sanchez was sentenced Monday in Los Angeles federal court. The judge also imposed a year of supervised release and numerous computer restrictions.
Sanchez pleaded guilty in March to one count of uploading a copyrighted work being prepared for commercial distribution. Prosecutors say he admitted uploading a “workprint” copy of the 2009 film about one month before it was released in theaters, then publicizing the upload on two websites.
Prosecutors said in court documents that the film proliferated like wildfire throughout the Internet, resulting in up to millions of infringements.
Sanchez has a prior conviction for a similar offense.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ny-man-gets-1-prison-x-men-piracy-025424624.html

He deserves to go to prison.

No, he deserves level 1 x-factor Vanilla Wolverine.

Acceptable. rimshot

He deserves a civic honor for giving people ample warning that this movie was going to be terrible.

I remember the workprint. That was the one that didnt have all the CGI fully animated so some scenes were like behind greenscreens and shit right?

They’re just trying to make an example out of this guy. But all this does is make the pirates more spiteful and even more cunning. Illegal downloads will never die. Maybe one day they will realize that too much money goes into the entertainment industry and the economy will become more balanced between school system budgets and motion picture movie associations.

That piece of shit is like 22 dollars on Blu-Ray right? I would have uploaded it too.

What the fuck does the school budget, a government funded program, and a free market business like Hollywood have to do with each other?

I feel like this is a really horrible joke waiting to happen.

I hate the “let’s make an example out of this guy” reasoning. For a good amount of them, it seems like it doesn’t fit the crime. For example, a mom and 4 year old son was jay-walking when the son got hit by a car that sped off. Then…the mom got convicted for said jay-walking and was sentenced to jail time. WTF?
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mom-convicted-son-jaywalking-death-never-end-151356884.html

Well she has a duty to protect her son, so she is guilty of manslaughter.

The reality is the piracy is illegal and homeboy got caught. Period. I don’t agree with the sentencing though.

Not everything is so cut and dry. I would think losing a child is punishment enough, unless you want to add traumatizing her remaining kids for the rest of their lives.

Certain things are cut and dry.
Establish a relationship where she owes a duty to the deceased. Check.
Establish that her gross negligence was the cause of the deceased death. Check.

Her emotional turmoil and remaining kids are irrelevant so far as finding her guilty, suppose it’d make me lean towards giving her a suspended sentence.

If you really want to make an example of the guy, get four horses and have them rip him apart by the arms and legs in the public square in front of everybody. That’ll show 'em.