Tiers for ggx2 and #R

i was just wondering what the official tiers were for these games 'cos it seems to change depending on who you’re talkin to. i know the games are supposed to be quite balanced but it can never be completely even.

For GGXX (not in any particular order inside the tiers)

Top:
Eddie
Slayer
Faust
Millia

Upper Middle:
Sol
Axl
Johnny

Middle:
Everyone else

Lower Middle:
Dizzy
Ky
Baiken (?)

Lower:
Testament
Anji
Zappa
May

I haven’t been playing GGXX#R very long (like a month), but it’s something like:

Top:
Eddie
Slayer
Millia
Robo-Ky
Jam (?)

Upper Middle:
Axl
Sol

Middle:
Everyone else

Lower Middle:
Baiken
Anji

Lower:
Testament
Zappa
May
Johnny

Again, only just started in #R, so I’m going on match vids and what people say :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes, you shouldn’t take the tier lists for anything big at all, every single character has a good chance of winning.

ky is worst in both games!

Baiken is dead middle in both games. Ya know, above Chipp and Potemkin.

And Johnny isn’t the worst in #r. heh

Johnny places in top 8 or 16 consistently, or wins tournaments…whereas Ky, May, Testament, and Anji rarely make top 32 in #R. I don’t even ever recall May, Testament, or Anji winning a tournament. Ky I’ve seen win 2, and the rest he doesn’t even place. Do people just toss Ky in mid tier because they feel bad for him or something? Also, I believe Zappa is above Anji in #R. I’m not really sure why everyone in America suddenly ranks Johnny at helpless tier. Ah well, just my personal opinion, not official.

Ignore the tiers in GGXX except for the top. Everything else is either based on the ancient arcadia magazine rankings, or just speculation and conjecture.

Top Tier is:
Eddie
Millia
Slayer
Faust

In #R, replace Faust with Axl/Venom.

Ky has one of, if not the best mid-range game in #r. And Johnny is way good in XX, and still pretty good in #R.

Redbeard, where are you tournament results from?

I think America just rates Johnny really low because all of his combos do less damage. heh

He was too good in XX. He’s fine in #r along with everyone else, it’s just that no-one gives the changes time. He has a good pressure game, so all your favourite combos will do good damage once you pressure the opponent enough. :slight_smile:

And the Ky thing - probably. Other than good pressure game, I don’t know what else Ky could do to the opponent.

Though his Vapour Thrust loop is cool. :slight_smile:

Seerd: Venom and Axl aren’t top tier in #r. To fix your list, take out Millia and Faust and add Jam and Robo-Ky.

I am curious as to why venom dropped so much in the arcadia #R list. I dont think he is quite that bad…

Unless you’re going to talk about matchup charts, please don’t bring up tiers in regards to GGXX/#R. Unless you go matchup by matchup, people can pretty much say what they want in regards to rankings. We end up with people saying “I can’t belive X character is near the bottom, he can’t be” with no way to debate the point; typical excuse: “He/She is still good.” Hey guys, its Guilty Gear, everyone is still good. Discuss who is better and why.

those are pretty much what i expected.

one thing that my bro still won’t believe is that dizzy is mid/low and millia is top because i play as dizzy and he plays as millia and i win the majority of the time (in the records it says 8:2).

i was just making sure that this is simply because i am the better player and not because dizzy is particularly anti millia. i heard it is actually the other way around but i was just interested to see if my opinion is proven.

i play a keep away dizzy throwing out projectiles to cover my movement forwards.

by the way we play X2 no #R so the comparison should be made between the 2 characters in X2.

K
A
I

I
S

T
H
E

?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORST

Clayton is teh king of whine.

yea i cant help it.=[

I don’t agree with Dizzy being mid/low, but Millia can certainly whoop her. Tell your bro to start learning how to land Millia’s j.D after an airdash/double airdash (makes keep away against millia harder). And the mixups after a knockdown.

Lots of people can outrange Millia. The key is that Millia is so damn fast that she’s gonna get in eventually. And then the pain starts. :lol: But Millia isn’t an easy character to play.

Ok…

Johnny vs. Sol, 6-4
Johnny vs. Ky, 6-4
Johnny vs. Slayer, 4-6(has to turtle though)
Johnny vs. May, 5-5
Johnny vs. Axl, 5-5(in Axl’s favor, but not by a ton or anything…4.5 to 5.5 would be closer)
Johnny vs. Anji, 6-4
Johnny vs. Baiken, 5-5
Johnny vs. Eddie, 4-6
Johnny vs. Dizzy, 6-4
Johnny vs. Zappa, 4-6(might be 5-5, it’s close)
Johnny vs. Millia, 4-6
Johnny vs. Chipp, 5-5(might be slightly in Chipp’s favor, again 5.5…)
Johnny vs. I-No, 6-4
Johnny vs. Testament, 5-5
Johnny vs. Faust, 5-5
Johnny vs. Jam, 5-5(or 5.5 for Jam)
Johnny vs. Potemkin, 5-5
Johnny vs. Venom, 5-5(or 5.5 for Venom)
Johnny vs. Bridget, 4-6(close to 3-7…but he’s not utterly helpless in this one)
Johnny vs. Robo-Ky, 3-7(Very crappy matchup)

His two worst are Robo-Ky and Bridget in #R, and he is either tied or slightly beats most of the cast, with a few minor problem matchups like Axl and Venom, but they don’t have a ton over him. Nobody really beats Johnny badly aside from Robo-Ky and Bridget, everyone else…even Eddie, he has a pretty good chance of beating even though they’re better. Johnny only has 2 bad matches where he’s pretty much countered, and he doesn’t really counter any characters directly, but he generally has better damage and setups than the rest of the low people he wins against. He has a 6-4 against Sol and Ky too…Sol because he beats him everywhere(j.S wins to anything air-air, j.H beats everything, even 5K if distanced correctly except VV air to ground…and he can’t risk whiffing a VV, Johnny’s hard slashes outrange Sol, and f.S is quick enough to deal with his f.S. 6P beats out any of his air attacks as well, and Mist Finer trades Gunflame for equal damage trade(can cause CH for knockdown or hit them away, and Johnny won’t suffer a CH no matter what unless you time it ultra late…which gives you the initiative on him for wakeup…since you can tech his gunflame and it’ll do bad damage if it hits from far away which he’d need to use it at anyhow for it to be effective. Either way, even if neither of you eat a CH you will just be back to equal footing)

I could explain all of the other matches and such, but I’m too lazy. He’s not as good as the other top tier and he gets beaten by them, but they don’t counter him or anything and he’s certainly not helpless. Now take a look at May, Testament, Ky, Anji, Dizzy, and I-No. Dizzy has 1 really good matchup, and a few pretty crappy ones…and doesn’t really beat on anyone but Potemkin. May has no matchups in her favor, but she doesn’t really have any bad ones, but again…I don’t think she has a 6-4 against a single person in the cast(not even Slayer, she breaks about even with him IMO). Anji has not a single matchup where he beats anyone, and at best he ties. Testament is the same…he either breaks even, or loses…maybe 1 matchup where he has a 5.5 or 6-4 or something. Ky is good against Bridget, breaks even with a few, and loses to everyone else. I-No doesn’t counter anyone, might have a 6-4 or two, and either breaks even or loses. Potemkin has 3 terrible matches, and 2 really good ones. Everyone else he usually breaks even with. Chipp breaks even with nearly the entire cast who isn’t top tier, loses to a few, loses to Potemkin pretty badly, and is pretty good against Axl(6-4).

Ok, so the short of that is…Johnny is above May, Testament, Ky, Anji, Dizzy, and I-No. He’s either tied with or a bit above Potemkin/Chipp. Which puts him at 13-15th place, not 21st. Which makes him lower mid. He’s really close to everyone in the mid section, and is probably on the lower end of it but it’s a small margin.

So, in my opinion, it goes…

Top:

Slayer
Eddie
Jam
Robo-Ky
Millia(she’s not that much worse in #R…bottom of top because she stands out as a top character)

A step above the middle people:

Axl
Venom
Sol

Top end of the middle(all of these people basically tie)

Bridget
Baiken
Faust

Bottom End of the middle(all of these guys are close to tieing too)

Potemkin
Chipp
Johnny
Zappa
Dizzy

Bottom

I-No
Testament
May
Ky
Anji

Just my opinion though. And Seerd, my tournament viewing is mostly random linked tournaments on GCC, A-Cho, AM-Challenger, and a few other popular ones which I can’t remember the names to(some website that was in chinese that had all of the old popular players on it like Menkaichou/Kaqn etc all over it…I can’t think of the name for it but they had tons of tournaments). It’s not by any means the majority of japanese tournies, but it’s a pretty good representation…and I don’t think anyone can argue that May/Anji/Ky/Testament/I-No ever place high anymore…because they simply don’t, and Johnny still places high even if he doesn’t win.

Whew, ok done. That’s not all official or anything, it’s just my opinion and I was bored so I typed it all out.

Ya know, thats one thing I love about this game.

Everyone has a tier list. It’s never correct, but you know that the game is legit when no-one can agree on where certain characters place. Balance <3. =p

Anyway; here’s how I see it!

ahem

Slayer
Eddie
Jam
Robo-Ky

MIDDLE
Millia
Sol
Venom
Bridget
Axl
Faust
Baiken
I-No
Dizzy
Johnny

BOTTOM
Potemkin
Chipp
May
Testament
Ky
Zappa
Anji

Based of character performance in general…i’d say the mid tiers just fight amongst themselves - top and bottom tiered characters are set really.

I thought this was the tier list for #Reload (based on Arcadia):

Top Tier:
Eddie
Robo Ky
Jam
Slayer

Mid Tier:
Sol
Axl
Millia
Faust
Dizzy
Bridget

Low Tier:
Baiken
Chipp
Testament
Potemkin
Johnny
Ino
Zappa
Venom
Ky
May
Anji

There is a low tier because the mid tier characters have better win ratios against them.

Why’s everyone caught up on tiers anyway though? Not like it really matters because the game is so balanced… If you have more skill, you’ll win. Other than Eddie and Anji maybe. Eddie is like fighting 2 guys at once and Anji just seems like he sucks (butterfly traps so easy to get out of!!!).

Writing tier lists is actually fun because everyone has their own opinion on where characters stand.

And I think Baiken is mid tier (lowish mid tier that is). :slight_smile:

This is what I think the tier list is for #R

In this exact order

Top:
Slayer
Robo-Ky
Jam
Eddie
Axl

High:
Venom
I-No
Sol
Millia

Middle:
Baiken
Dizzy
Faust
Ky
Bridget

Low:
Chipp
Johnny
Zappa
Testament
Potemkin
Anji
May

And for XX in the exct order

Top:
Slayer
Eddie
Venom
Faust
Millia

High:
Johnny
Axl
Sol
I-No

Middle:
Dizzy
Baiken
Jam
Bridget
Ky

Low:
Chipp
Zappa
Testament
Potemkin
Anji
May

who woulda thought peta would put axl as top… oh wait :slight_smile: hehe
i dunno why u rank venom so high in xx though the man has no wakup and no good aa