Time Investment Question

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding whether or not it is worth it to use a stick over a pad if you don’t see yourself being anywhere near “pro” level.

I do have a TE stick, and I do like it. I have been playing on it for about a month. Before that, I was strictly pad. I played MvC2 to death, but I was never an amazing player. I would consider myself above average.

I’d love to take the time to become a MvC3 master, but I just can’t do that. I try to spend maybe an hour a day just playing training and arcade, and a couple nights a week I actually get to go online and play people for a few solid hours. To give you guys an idea about my execution skill, I cannot do any of the mission modes that require more than like 8 inputs (not on pad or stick.) And the ones that ask me to call assists, jump cancel and all that? Yeah, I probably can’t do those. Online, I do no fancy combos. I am good at reading the other player and countering with normals, special moves, and simple 4-8 hit combos. I have about 1 combo per character where I can connect a hyper combo from a 4-6 hit chain. That’s it, those are my big moves. Hehe.

I feel like I am still better with the pad, but my fightstick execution has improved. But if I’m not ever going to be an amazing player, and my skill will undoubtedly plateau, is it worth it to keep using the stick? Thank you for any opinions on this.

In the end…it’s all about your preference.
If you are more comfortable on pad, use pad.
If you are more comfortable on stick, use stick.

I’m sure it’s probably the characters your using, there’s probably characters out there that balance easier complexity-to-damage combos with being hard to get in and actually start. I don’t actually own MvC3, but I’d assume that’s the case with at least several characters.

I feel more comfortable on a pad, but I’m not sure if that’s just because I’m more familiar with it after using it for so many years. What I might end up doing is just using both, off and on, at least for now.

Yeah Strobe, that is true amongst fighting games in general in that some characters are easier to use/set up than others. In MvC3, I think it’s true that all characters do good damage with small combos, so my tiny combos are enough to carry me in most matches. I’d like to do better, but I’m not sure if I should just advance with the pad or ditch it entirely for the stick. I know a similar question gets asked around here daily, but I am asking because I don’t recall seeing time investment directly addressed. If I had more free time to devote to the game, I’d almost certainly go for the stick because it would pay off in the long run. But being somewhat limited with time…I dunno yet.

Go stick. Even if you don’t spend a lot of time everyday with fighters, the time you do spend will still add up. Just make it part of your routine–when you plug in a fighter, hook up your stick. It’s not much different than going to the arcade and playing an unfamiliar (or even familiar!) game with an unfamiliar control setup–learn the game and the control type at the same time. Just look at stick controls as part of the game.

And, hey. If you ever get fed up, you can always go back to a pad.

I would HIGHLY advice using an arcade stick over a fight pad. Arcade sticks can be REALLY frustrating to learn how to use, but once you get used to it, you’ll be glad that you changed. It just takes patience.

There’s no real set of criteria. I mean muscle memory can be plugged into your hands from years of PS2/Ps1/SNES playing. I mean for MVC3 the layout works out great if you’re just a combo man the buttons are spaced close enough so your fingers don’t get so tired.

However since he bout the TE stick why not just stick with it

Yeeeeeah, I guess you guys are right about sticking with the stick anyway. I mean, I’ll be playing fighting games for…the rest of my life? Hehe. In the earlier days I spent tons of hours playing SF2, all the Mortal Kombats that appeared in the arcade, Killer Instinct 1 & 2, and later MvC2 in the arcade. But I’ve also played them with a pad since SF2 came out on SNES. When I got my fightstick, it had been 8 years since I touched a joystick. However, I still wasn’t totally new; I already had a grip that worked. Like everyone says though, it’s all about muscle memory, which had pretty much gone away. Especially since I use the LMH top button layout which is totally different than MvC2.

Hitting too many buttons in a row is real tough for me, pad or stick. I get anxious and drop big, drawn out combos. I keep my combos short for that reason, because obviously a short completed combo is way better than attempting a complicated one and messing it up.

In MvC3, my combos are pretty similar between all characters: an easy chain of L-M-H-S, 2-3 more hits and then link in a hyper. Very easy, hehe. I do practice harder stuff in training, but it’s slow going. Practice, practice, practice…

There’s nothing wrong with taking your time. As long as you keep at it you’ll continue to improve. One thing I would do (and actually, still do) when trying to learn to land combos is to practice them in practice mode until I feel comfortable, and then start stepping up to low-difficulty CPU opponents. I’ll work my way up a few difficulty levels, and then start playing live humans. How long I spend with the CPU depends on a lot of factors–how comfortable I am with the game pacing, how complex the combo is, how advanced the human competition is, etc. I try to take things in smaller steps so that I don’t start spazzing and get frustrated.

I wouldn’t worry about big complicated combos it’s more about damage output. I can do bigger combos with she hulk than Justin Wong was using when he played she hulk and destroyed everyone with her and this is my first vs game and I’m a zangief user so I’m not used to high levels of exicution. The key is making sure your doing a steady high level of damage ie landing your bnb when you get a chance.

The issue you will run into is not learning match-ups/ gimics people are using if you don’t play alot however if you focus your limited time on playing a wide variety of high level players you can learn more in 2 hours than you could in 40 playing scrubs online.

use whatever you are most proficient with,eh?!