Time to hang up the stick?

Is there a point where one needs to consider giving up on a specific fighting game (SF4 in this case)? I only ask this because I have found myself absorbing a wealth of knowledge, including shows like First Attack and the SRK forums and related sites, but I am finding myself unable to preform actions in-game (and basic combos period) in any fashion (I’ve been trying to play Juri if it helps at all), cannot seem to reach above 300 PP in SF4 nor can I manage to learn anything from the countless matches I have gone through online. The issue becomes exacerbated due to the lack of any community in my area and knowing only two other people who play fighters (with perhaps only one who wants to try and improve their game)

I wouldn't usually think this (and if I put it in the wrong forum please move it) but without any concept that seems to ever stick, or seemingly gets unlearned, it is becoming an issue that feels out of control.  I really do not want to drop the game, or genre for that matter, but when it seems like I cannot get better I am unsure if continuing will become a waste of time and resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

Has anyone else run into this and if so what (if anything) should I try and do?

tl;dr Can’t improve and all the resources, articles, and videos don’t help at all. Should I just try some other game?

I was in the same position as you maybe 6 months ago. Street fighter is a brutal game, and always will be. Don’t overload yourself with things that you haven;t perfected yet, try to learn one major thing once. How I improved is to have the mentality, “I’m going to learn a couple minor things today, or 1 big thing”. When I first started I was getting furious at how I played because I could safe jump characters, throw meaties, or just play smart. Well the answer was because I didn’t have experience. YOU NEED too put the time in too get good. I’ve had SF4 for about half a year and 819 hours as of now. That’s a little over a month of my life out of 6. Do I regret it? Not 1 little bit. You need to slow down with learning, and get more experience in thinking about your game play. I would recommend going online and finding someone slightly better than you, and someone greatly better than you. By training with the greatly better player you can level up tremendously in the “1 big thing” department. While training with someone slightly better lets you measure your skill, test your knowledge and play. If you feel sf4 is not for you entirely, then give up. I wanted to give up too, but that was the inner salt awakening in my body. I overcame it and am learning everyday and improving greatly.

Thats how I felt about Soul Calibur. Nothing else to learn and the community fizzled out.

SF is very much active and Ultra is going to breathe a new life into the series, so I think you might be jumping the gun with that.

I can relate. I love fighting games, always have, but there is zero community in my surrounding area. I recently read some good advice here on srk:

Do whatever you need to in order to keep your interest in sf4 and fighters in general.

I love sf4, but the difficult learning curve doesn’t keep me satisfied. I’ve got to play other characters and other fighting games to keep interest in all of them. I play umvc3 and p4a to mix things up, especially when I feel like I’m stuck in a rut with sf4.

That’s how I deal with it anyway. If you’re only interested in sf4, I would set small, attainable goals for yourself instead of just having one big goal. That way you’ll be able to see your improvement as it happens. Online play isn’t always the best measure of improvement. You’ve got to really master it, before you start to see the improvement online.

This looks like a good idea, as spending time with something different has helped me in the past. I’ll probably try to get my friend to mess around with something like Skullgirls or Super Turbo and transition any knowledge gleamed back into SF4.

I’m starting to wonder if it isn’t just salt overload creating a depressive state (it doesn’t help when i’m trying to “re-learn” a lower tier character with seemingly high execution requirements). My problems also might be coming from a difficulty in finding a “training partner” and most likely jumping too far ahead into higher concepts (frame traps, Option Selects, etc.) without a good foothold in combo work and its related ideas. Hopefully I can re-establish my enjoyment of the game and start working on a training regimen that best suits my current play level.

there are two types of timing for each fighting game, no matter the netcode

offline timing and online timing. 3SOE even included frame delay in offline play!
stick to offline timing for the moment, leave online timing for later.

I too avoided online for few weeks and when I played some GGPO matches on SFA3, I felt like I played the game for the first time.
I prefer playing against the CPU with smooth controls than going through this experience again…

What console do you play on? Their are stickies and threads for finding training partners here.

Speaking as one Juri nublet to another, I would say don’t worry about nailing combos too much. I’ve been playing since EVO 2013 and I still can’t land BnB combos in a real match to save my life, but I have managed to learn enough other stuff to break 1,000 pp.

The two things that upped my game the most were spending a whole week focusing on nothing but anti-airing(Juri’s are really solid), and finding someone who was just above my skill level who was willing to sit down and teach me stuff. Having someone to play with regularly who isn’t far enough above you to absolutely demoralize you is fucking huge.

360, and I must have missed those thread, will definitely look into them now.

I aint no quitter. Lol
Im still learning. My inputs are sloppy. I’m new to the te stick the buttons are sensitive. And wen i get nervous / frustrated i tend to put extra inputs. But just my 3rd day learning after 2 yrs of being away from fighting games

I dont even really play AE anymore but im willing to pick it up again if i can find decent people to play with regularly

Post replay videos of you. We can directly help you better that way.

If you want my short answer:
You can do it.

If you want my bullet answer:

1. I quit a long time ago, just got the game again since there’s an update coming soon. Not found of Decapre but I suppose Poison will be something to keep matches interesting. You can quit Street Fighter if you want.

2. Juri is a pretty simple character. Crouching medium kick into light pinwheel is a safe small combo. I could understand someone using a steering wheel controller for a racing game or something but I wouldn’t use an arcade stick for a shooting game or a fighting game, I prefer the controller hands on device over a slab with buttons.

3. If you learn how to do the moves and combos all that’s left is to learn how to play. If you still lose after a long period of time simply accept the fact there are smarter guys out there more than you and play causally.

4. I do all the time, loved Dark Souls 2, Titan Fall is pretty good as well.

300PP? You can wakeup shoryu bait your way to past 300PP. You’re inside your head. It sounds like you’re doing way too much watching/reading/learning/thinking/contemplating and less time playing. Build on solid fundamentals of the game. Don’t get too caught up in advanced tactics when you’re still at 300PP. I’d say play A LOT, but it’s hard to suggest that when it sounds like you’re not having fun. Don’t take it too seriously. I’d understand your plight if you relied on this game to earn bread and you hit a plateau. Try and have fun. It’s just a game after all.

SF4 had an arguably tricky learning curve for first timers Imo. It felt, to me, like a fighting game’s fighter. It expects you to already understand the footsies and general strategy from a SF2/3 era game, the combo input leniency of a stricter KOF style game, and to twist the knife it adds in low-leniency links and focus/ex strategy on top. SF4 probably is your game, but you just don’t have the foundation there that a lot of fg fans have before they picked it up. Step back and experiment with the likes of SFIII, KOFXIII, even oddballs like Capcom Vs SNK and Alpha 3 and you’ll quickly see that SF4 has a lot of ‘heritage’ in it. You’re watching pros pick up the game and instantly flow into it, knowing intuitively how to extend combos, perform resets etc… but they learned in other games and the theory carried over. Once you try some of the ‘purer’ fighters (I’d recommend a third strike or a kof title, something with 2D sprites) you’ll start to learn little things like how to find links, and work out where cancels will fit and all of that stuff. Then when you get back to SF4, you’ll glue all the other stuff together and it’ll feel much more natural to you.
sry for the long post and all the mr miyagi lmao

IMO SF4 isn’t necessarily a good beginners’ game.
It’s good for complete beginners - you can mash stuff and cool things come out. For someone who wants to put in effort but is still just a beginner, it’s unduly harsh IMO.

In SF4, doing basic things with buttons is hard (SF4 combos are link-based so you have to press the next button after the other completes fully in a small time window), and mashing gets out specials. It’s kinda discouraging to do a lot of work for not very shiny things. You then end up having to fight the input shortcuts to make the game obey you.

Many other games have a cancel-based combo system (or chain based depending on what you want to call it) where you can just press the next move while it is executing. Those games are typically more strict on actually getting special moves out (which is good because most fighting games are - strict inputs build good muscle memory and the game obeys you more accurately), but comboing with things you can do is much easier. They often also have more freeform movement which at least to me feels better.

So try other things. They may end up feeling better. If not, you may just learn something useful for SF4 along the way and know what exactly you enjoy more accurately.

Has anyone actually written guides for playing online SF4?

Rule 1) ALWAYS BLAME LAG
Rule 2) WAKEUP DP
Rule 3) SPAM TAUNT

like that?

Spoiler

being sarcastic ofc

Apologies for not responding and I expected this thread to get buried fairly quickly (although this response itself is going to end up preventing that).

I will try but I can’t seem to find a reliable way to do it w/o using YouTube.

I have found Broforce to be a colorful way to clear out lingering frustration.

Letting the game sit and the clean slate of USF4 has managed to help some but i’m still having issues with some things (and hopefully this doesn’t get ignored due to that boo-hooing in the start).

1. A good training setup for practicing footsies.

2. Being able to implement combos and punishes I have learned.

Simply put, is there anything I can use to enhance the trial-by-fire that SF4 necessitates? (Also thanks to all for the aid)

If you really want to learn combos - practice, practice, practice. It’s the only way to get good at doing combos cleanly. Do simple combos until you can do them 10 times in a row without messing up. Then go for 20. Then go for 50.

Learning footsies is tough unless you have people to play with. There’s gotta be some kind of community in your area - if not, invest the time in making a trip to the closest local event to your location. Even if you don’t learn anything, it’ll definitely rekindle your spirit to keep playing.