Tips for introducing new players to fighters?

I really enjoy fighting games, and I have wanted to get into them for a few years, but only recently, mostly due to SF4, did I start playing for more than a few minutes here or there. Reason being, I didn’t have anyone locally to play, and don’t really have the means to make hour+ trips to play people. At this point I’ll gladly play pretty much any fighting game anyone could mention to me, even if I’ve never played it before… I just enjoy playing and learning more about fighting games in general, so if someone came up to me wanting to play arcana heart, I’d be 100% down to try it and learn about it.

I’ve tried to introduce and teach a few friends about 2d fighters. These are people who have enjoyed SSB games (ibhate), particularly Melee for many years. They just haven’t really tried traditional 2d fighters to my knowledge, and I think they would enjoy them if given the chance.

Now the thing is, I don’t know how to really get someone into the genre without them simply jumping in and making a purchase. The times I’ve tried to teach people who have really never played 2d fighters before, they end up giving up after 20-30 minutes max because they aren’t familiar with the general concepts and mechanics in the game; things like blocking high/low, cancels, real combos, “don’t jump”, etc. And then on top of that there’s the execution bit; I’ve had one friend try playing and basically get upset several times that “my moves aren’t coming out/my guy wasn’t blocking…”. Honestly his main problem was that he was mashing, and try as I might, he wasn’t really seeming to understand that you can’t push buttons and block at the same time.

When I’ve tried teaching friends before, I’ve picked characters I understand at a basic level, but have little experience playing, that way I kind of force myself to play slower and stick to basics, rather than using characters I know big combos for or nasty traps, etc. I try to steer the new guys toward characters that are relatively simple to learn, and away from things that would be more difficult to pick up for a new player, particularly charge characters, and characters like gen, viper, seth, etc.

I make a point of mentioning (and not being a dick about) things like reminding them to block high for jumpins, trying to get them to use anti-airs, being patient in general, and fixing basic execution errors, and so on.

At the end of the day though, I’ve had very little success in attempting to teach new players the ins and outs of fighting games. I’m not sure at this point if there are things I could be doing better to teach them or make it more enjoyable for them to learn, or if traditional fighters just aren’t their thing, or what. Even for my one friend who I have gotten to play SF4, I’ve had a very hard time getting him to try learning other games.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

a good way is to not do anything at all

in my experience, most FG players play them cause somebody raped them. so they wanted to 1up that person. that person gets 1upped and is impressed by it, so they start doing totally new shit to pull off a 1up themselves

basically if you can inspire them, you don’t even need to introduce them

your first step is finding a time machine that allows you to go back to before sf4 was released thanks

Oh yeah, excellent advice, thanks. I’ll get right on that. Especially since it makes so much sense to try and introduce someone to fighting games with HARDER games, rather than with one that’s relatively simple to pick up.

Interesting idea, though I’m not sure that would work on the people I’ve tried to teach before. Then again, that in itself might be a clue that fighters just aren’t their thing, if they don’t have the competitive spirit for something like you’re suggesting.

yeesh haha

Get a few of your buddies and offer 20 dollars to anyone who can beat you in any game at any time. Someones bound to want that 20.

Show them high level matches of said games. If they don’t like it, it’s not for them.

Think about what got you interested in fighting games and then ask yourself if you friends share that same mentality.

Personally, the game that got me hooked on fighting games was Marvel Super Heroes. The game, for the most part, had instantly recognizable characters, was easy to pick up and play thanks to the Magic System, didn’t make jumping constantly a recipe for disaster thanks to the wonderful gameplay construct known as air block, and, most importantly, was flashy as fuck. If I were to suggest a game, it would definitely be that or X-Men: Children of the Atom.

EDIT: S’funny running into you here, Kamano.

I doubt there’s much you can do. If they’re interested, they will play. If they’re not, they won’t.

SSF4 doesn’t seem simple to me. You have EX meters, ultras, focus attacks, shitloads of characters. SF2 is much more straightforward and focuses more on fundamentals. Maybe a good idea would be to pick up HDR and only play it when your friends come over. That way, you won’t have hours and hours of experience over them.

show them high level matches from other genres too, theres a whole world of good games out there

SF2 or HDR, sure, I’d definitely agree those are simpler games, and I hadn’t even really thought about that. I was thinking more along the lines of 3s and mvc2, which both seem like they’d be a huge headache to attempt to teach to someone new to fighters, lol

I like the idea here. Recognizable characters would do a lot for likability and understanding right off the bat too.

also hi

yea sf4/ssf4 is not a simple game at all, in fact its unnecessarily complicated in a lot of ways once you get beyond the whole ‘easy motions and random ultras’ level of play.

this sounds stupid for me to say, but the best way to get ppl playing is to…get other ppl playing lol. personally if i see a lot of my friends playing a new game, it makes me want to play it as well (and beat them at it)

Here’s a list of fighting games.
Many go out of style when the crowd goes to another game.

I highly recommenced to at least try Gunz the Duel, Grand Chase, Lost Saga, Dungeon and Fighter for the PC.

Still popular PC games, many I forgot the name of

Lost Saga
Dungeon and Fighter
Rumble Fighter
Gunz the Duel
Manga Fighter
La Tale
Shin Megami Tensei
Cabal
Grand Chase

This gen Console, many are ghost town now with consoles

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting
SF2HDR
SF4
SSF4
Mortal Kombat 2
Small Arms
Tekken 6
Virtua Fighter 5
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Blaze Blue
Guilty Gear XX acent core
Guilty Gear 2
Dead or Alive 5
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Dragon Ball Z burst Limit
Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast
Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast 2
Soul Calibur 4
Naruto Rise of a Ninja
Naruto Broken Bond
Naruto Ninja Storm

Also, Street Fight is a kids game compared to others. I would like to see this “beast” win a DOA tournament.

how in the world do you classify the smt mmo as a fighting game hahaha

@ this show them high level matches stuff, you gotta make sure they understand what it is they’re seeing. if they don’t then it can either have the opposite effect or look boring as hell

Yeah, your PC game list there doesn’t seem to have actual fighting games… I see sidescrolling beat-em-up type games, several mmos, and a shooter (gunz) or two (manga fighter looks like a gunz clone from the screenshots)