Tips/Rules for posting in the Newbie Sakiyo Dojo

Hi Guys,

I really like the idea of this forum. It’s always a tough job organizing info on the forums while at the same time getting to quick, basic questions without running into thread derailment issues and the like. I’m going to take a second to list out some tips for posters that might keep in mind. This is not meant to influence the intent of your posts, but instead give you the best chance of finding the info you seek.

Tips for asking questions:

Format (Likely to change): A preferred thread title format would look something like “SF4: Ryu - How do I FADC?”. This is of course only possibly if a question is so specific that this information can be provided in the thread title. At this point, use your best judgement and try to make it look nice while things come together.

When asking your questions try to include all pertinent information on the subject that one can muster. Besides the obvious, any information one recall might be helpful.

-What Game/Character/Stage?
-Actions immediately before/after

When asking for help, first decide what type of answer you seek. Are you looking for an escape to a particular situation? A counter attack? Do you need help dealing more damage in a match-up? It’s of course difficult to figure out the answer to your question, but a little critical thought can help the speed the process along quite a bit.

Important!: When asking questions, try to avoid discussions about things that don’t have a direct question/answer scenario (IE: Opinion based topics). For example, try to avoid making topics like “Who is your favorite character in SF4?” or “Why should we use game mechanic XYZ in game ABC?”. These topics are more suited for other areas of the forum as they can cause long debated discussions that most new players won’t understand. Also, simply put, they’re a magnet for trolling, or generally will be seen as trolling attempts themselves.

Be Humble: Realize in this situation you are asking for help. Put your ego aside and try to work with the help you are offered. Enjoy this experience as you learn and grow.

If you make a topic just to cry/whine about something you’re going to get a warning. This is a place for learning and asking questions. That doesn’t mean make a topic “omg xyz is soooo cheap” keep that stuff on other forums.

Tips for Answering Question:

Try to find any information that isn’t included that may be helpful.

Be Honest: Use language that represents the true degree of your statements. In other words, try not to say “This move beats c.strong” or describe a fail-safe counter if you are uncertain. If some experimentation is required in a situation but you only have a faint idea of what you’d do, try to explain it as such.

Be Humble: Realize in this situation someone is humbling himself, asking for help. Be courteous when offering help, do not insult beginners for lack of knowledge. Make this experience enjoyable so the scene can grow.

Last, but above all, to everyone in the forum - Play nice. We’re here to help. This could be something great for SRK and fighting games in general, so treat it nicely and help it along. Please don’t flame the noobs. Blatant trolling and trolling topics will not be tolerated Newbie Sakiyo Dojo.

Which do you prefer?
Soo what to expect from the fighting game forums
Closing threads
Which is the better game KOF XIII or SCV? (Poll)
What new dlc do You feel most neutral about?
Single Player Frustrations
Skullgirls, apply here!
Raging Demon Input
Street Fighter 4 Complete
Why is Hakan so Bad? T-T
Good all girl team
Help out a noob!
Characters that make you rage playing against?
Asking for tips
Anti cross-up techniques
Somebody fight me

can you ask tech talk related questions here?

I assume that the Tech Talk forums would be a better place to get an answer, but I think that a very basic question about it here would provide you with the results you need as well.

As for this thread: I think this section is a great addition to the site. You don’t get more fighting game competition by acting like you’re more elite than newcomers.

Also, don’t be discouraged, or upset when someone replies in the form of a link to an existing thread. Check it out, your question might be answered, and if not, you might find deeper discussion by posting a reply to that thread.

Just don’t let this forum deteriorate into the typical “f… off use the search function or don’t post at all” tactics :slight_smile:

Also…don’t get frustrated when you don’t get an answer right away.
I’ve been many new people post the same question in multiple threads…and that does not end well.

Google is great, people are lazy.

since it keeps being asked, this is just a reminder that all of the street fighter 4 trials have been on youtube since the week SF4 came out. If you can’t figure out the timing seeing someone do it will probably be more helpful than a page full of text trying to explain the timing to you.

Locations for tournaments

Would it be wrong to ask where there are tournaments on long island?

You can check Tournaments & Events …or Regional Matchmaking and look inside your region.

You can find these and more by scrolling down the main forum page.

Can we pleasssse get the “I’m new” or “I suck” match making threads closed. There is always like 3 of them at any given time. And they aren’t even questions.

this helped thanks

Re: pertinent information.

Newbies, if you’re having trouble with a character, or a specific tool/situation, and come to ask help, that’s cool, you’ve come to the right place, but if you don’t explain which character you’re using it makes it much harder for people to give relevant advice.

Modern fighting games can have anywhere from 20 to 50 characters. Each one of those characters will have different options, and different responses to both common and rare situations. I know you may not have decided on a “main” yet, but even if you can bring it down to a short list of possibilities it means people won’t have to list a huge list of options from random characters you’re not interested in playing, and can give you much more helpful advice.

Could we have a rule that the topic be more precise? Don’t fucking start a thread with “I need help” or “Newbie question” or some shit. Make a thread called “I need help with Plinking” or “Dash Ultra question”.

Akuma

I need help with basic combos for Akuma. Im only a beginner but I always get my ass kicked in online matches. Note: I have a Fightstick that I use.

So do we start threads or what?

Specify what game you are having Akuma troubles…would help a bit.

Posting a thread about your problems would make a lot more sense than asking in the rules thread, unless your problems with Akuma are somehow related to the rules here. :stuck_out_tongue:

My biggest problem is that my right arm start to hurt after a while of practicing combos. And also I have trouble executing the SRK movement on my joy stick can some one help me. <:[

http://shoryuken.com/f322/srk-newbie-saikyo-dojo-execution-guide-read-me-234169/