To completely confirm, which air tatsu to use?

akuma

Which air tatsu should you be using to cross up? Ive looked in threads, some people say lk, mk, rh. whatever. I need a definitive answer. The one ed ma and the other people used at evo were used at somewhat close range so im guessing lk?

not LK, it has the most recovery frames (10 as opposed to 4 – at least according to the wiki).

There’s a thread about it here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=7031114

But I wasn’t able to get a definitive answer either…

Best advice is that HK and MK make you travel a bit further through the air. Theoretically you can do a LK tatsu that will not cross up from the same spacing as an MK or HK tatsu that does cross up.

My theory on the LK tatsu having the extra 6 recovery frames is to nerf the LK air tatsu fake cross-up mixup. You can still do it, but I think it’s punishable.

Doing a bunch of HK cross-up tatsus and then following up with an LK non-crossup tatsu into option select super is sweet. If the LK tatsu hits them on the way down and they block, no Super comes out, but if the LK tatsu misses them on the way down, you land point blank and can super them if they don’t hit you before the flash.

hkkkkkkkkk

Why?

:wink:

but LK is the only one that juggles with a sweep… right?

no HK juggles to sweep, does the most damage, and travels the farthest. normal jump ins become ambiguous crossups with HK tatsu

Personally, I just use hk tatsu for cross-up and non-cross-up jump-ins. Hk hits anywhere I would want to use it. I’d use mk or hk tatsu if I wanted to jump straight up and come down with the third kick, depending on spacing. Jump back air-2-air tatsu, I think mk is best as there’s a good chance of getting two hits but also flying backward a good bit in case you don’t connect. Jump forward a2a, I’d use mk or hk.

If an air tatsu hits someone in the air (or ground), once, the opponent is put in a free-float state where you can juggle them with any normal or special.

If they’re hit twice, then you can only juggle with moves with pursuit property.

If you jump backward and use a lk tatsu, you go further back than any of the other tatsus. It’s kinda neat looking.

Nah, you can sweep after [x-up]TAT+hk. You can also DP+hp off any air.TAT.
e.g the opponent tries to jump out of the x-up situation and gets taken out mid-air by air.TAT… you can land before he does and juggle with DP+hp too.

I think the main reason you use TAT+hk for the x-up is because it will connect from a further jumping distance. The further you are away from the opponent from you jump - the more ambiguous it will be. They are more inclined to block for the frontal jump in - and not the x-up.

In this link: [media=youtube]mRqS3D4evKY[/media]
This Akuma prefers to use j.hp as the mix-up. It is safe on block and you can follow-up with a block-string/mix-up.
Not sure if you can with air.TAT+lk

“free-float state” "pursuit property"
Do you know of links to articles containing information about these mechanics?

i definitely prefer dive-kick for the mix up
YES I SAID IT DIVE KICK

j.dive kick?

a j.DK needs to hit on the lower body to combo off, as it doesn’t stun for long enough, right?

what west said:tup: so many ways to mix up the spacing and vary the move with df.

Yeah the LK air tatsu mixup is slightly different than that mixup in that it mixes up the opponent later. What I mean is that if the opponent sees you air tatsu, they still have a moment of time to realize that it’s a cross-up and block appropriately.

If you use the LK air tatsu, it will look exactly the same as the HK air tatsu only it won’t cross them up. This way if they go to block the cross-up on reaction upon seeing you air tatsu, they can be fooled into trying to block the wrong way because the LK tatsu will land in front of them. I’m pretty sure that the reason LK tatsu has the 10 frames of recovery is to make this mix-up slightly less powerful – best explanation I can think of anyways.

The jHP is also an awesome way to go because you can buffer an option select SRK after it in case of a backdash.

http://www.shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Akuma_(SFIV)#Frame_Data

Look at the right where it says ‘Notes’.

this

Not exactly. Have you seen this thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=165219 ?

It’s got a bunch of random information on game mechanics.

Free-float means you can hit the opponent with any attack (except grabs), but they’re not technically grounded. An example would be right before someone’s face hits the ground after a focus crumple – you wouldn’t be able to RD them, but you can reset them with a normal or keep them in a juggle state with an srk.

A move with pursuit property can juggle moves that put opponents in a state where they can be juggled.