Tournament in Connecticut: NO FUCKING WAY!?!?!

Foreward: Long post, please read the whole thing, explains the situation and how much room we have to work with here. Spread the word :slight_smile:

Alright guys, it’s WildKitty, some of you might remember me, some of you might not, but I was the dude that used to wear the cat beanie up in danbury, at ecc, the tournaments and shit, blah blah blah, but that doesn’t matter. The important thing is, me and Sub are gonna start to throw tournies and shit at What’s Your Game? Arcade in Bridgeport, CT. Walter has always been pretty good friends with the people who work there, and unfortunately, due to the declining popularity of arcades, WYG? is actually on the brink of shutting down due to lack of support. Everyone there pretty much plays Pool. But yea, they’re almost on the verge of closing down, and that’s another arcade we don’t even have a chance to save.

So here’s how it breaks down: Walter just called me and was just on the phone with the owner of the arcade. We can pretty much do whatever, whenever, wherever as long as the dude thinks it’s gonna make him money. Unfortunately, he sold the MvC2 cabinet, so as of right now, the tournament for that would have to be on console. There is a 3S cabinet there, so 3S would be on arcade. Slash, of course, would be on console. They also have an atomis wave cabinet with GG:Isuka in it (2P setup only, so it’s kind of pointless), Walter may even be able to convince the owner to get a HnK board and put that in there.

Anyway, here’s how it’s breaking down. Preliminary information only, expect a change later on in the day after me and Sub converse a bit on what we should do and shit like that.

What’s Your Game? Arcade
140 North Ave
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Type in your address here for directions

Games (expect changes)

Guilty Gear XX: Slash
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (depends on “pre-reg” posts on here and demand)

Fees (expect changes)

$5 entry cover - this is going straight to the arcade, guys. WYG is dying and is the only actual arcade left in the state that will probably let us fix the sticks and change out boards and have tournies if it will make them money without stealing all the money in the pot (coughcoughtrumbullmallfyecoughcough).

$5 charge per game - This is the money that is going to go into the pot for the players. 3S, on cabinet, will more than likely be set to event mode, MAYBE it will cost 25c/credit, so it would only cost 50c/match per every 2/3. Again, remember, if you think the charges are a little excessive, we are doing this for the arcade. If we can convince the owner that this will make him money and aide him in keeping the place open, then in the future maybe we can get new boards and games in there on cabinets for us.

Rules(expect changes)

Basic tournament shit, you know? More than likely 2/3 for every game until winners/losers finals and all that jazz where it moves up to 3/5 and 4/7 for GF’s. However, we ARE open for any suggestions that you guys think may draw in a bigger crowd or provide more fun and stuff like that.

Time and Date(expect changes)

We are aiming for either next friday(the 12th), or the friday after that (the 19th, weekend before ECC, chance to brush up), depending on how quick people say they want this and how large the response is. Starting time would probably be sometime around 7:00-7:30, giving everyone ample time to get here. It is both easily accessible by taking any highway here. Route 8, I-95, Taking Route 34 from Route 84, or Route 25 (connects with Route 8 right at Bridgeport). And if anyone does get lost in Bridgeport, me, Walter, and a few others know the area well enough to direct you here.

So yea, I guess that’s it guys. We’re gonna try to get some tournaments going up here and hopefully keep What’s Your Game? open and keep a semblance of a scene going up here.

We welcome anyone out of state that is willing to make the drive and if you are from NYC and may be taking the train up to here, you can probably get a cab from the train station to What’s Your Game for like 5 bucks, but if that is not doable, it’s seriously like a 5 minute drive from there to the Transit Center, so I’m sure me or walter could go pick you up, just need to exchange numbers and shit.

We’re trying to make this as easy as possible for everyone, and later on today me and walter (DSP might even show up) are going to go down to WYG arcade and assess the situation as far as space and setup is concerned. We will try to start working immediately on assessing and fixing any cabinet issues with the 3S cabinet, it works fine, but we will probably be putting new cherries in, and we might just be able to get a ST or MvC2 cabinet before the tourney.

For casual there is a SvC cabinet, Tekken 3, 2P Isuka (unless we get a HnK board to switch in), and I forget what else. To be up front about this, there’s not a whole shitload of stuff there to play, but we are trying to get this going. And we need something to kick it off. It’s also a privately owned arcade, so there would be no rush as far as time constraints if we had to keep the place open longer to finish the tournament.

As far as equipment we might need help with, we’re not sure yet, we’ll keep you posted if we need any TV’s or consoles or games or anything.

Okay, sorry for the novel of a post, but this is the first tourney we’ve had here in a while (unless Dabury throws them?).

This first tournament probably won’t be the best, but we’re gonna try our fucking best. This is to show the arcade that we can do this and help them make money and hopefully that will kick them off to buy new games and fucking get MvC2 back on cabinet!!!

Again, sorry for the rant. We’ll keep you posted on any changes and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come. We want everyone to come, the more the merrier, let’s get some tournies for every game going on here. Don’t let this flop and we never do this again. We’re going to try, so help us out.

!!!SAVE THE ARCADES!!!

I’m also going down to What’s Your Game? tonight. That arcade is the one I grew up in and got me into fighting games in the first place.

After assessing the situation it will be easier to figure out what is more reasonable to have in there, I’m thinking four games max including 3s on cabinet, probably go with MvC2 for sure since that will get the most heads in Connecticut. I will also try to spread the word around the tri state area once everything is in stone.

I’m going to suggest May 19th as the best possible date here since the 12th is only a week away and people need ample time to plan to come. Also the 19th is right before ECC and I know that everyone from CT who is going to ECC will use this as a chance to warm up.

I will be HAPPY if 20 heads show up for this, I know I can probably convince around a dozen people to show if we really promote this, and that’s just in-state.

MY GOD, another tournament in CT after so long…that’s just nuts!

OMFG Finally! I lived in BPT for 4 years and used to go to what’s you game to play isuka and scrub it up at 3S and now i’m in Stamford, I still go to bridgeport on the regular so… count me in!
I can provide a ps2 with Slash and CvS2 if needed!
Damn, looks like I might need to get into 3S/CvS2 seriously since I never got past scrub level =(

final details for this tourney will be up tonight flashg is tentative to come down for 3s tourney

Freee MOOOOOLAHHHHHHHHHH FOR WHOEVA!!!

NYC having a tourney the next day too, so i dunno how many NY heads will show up :arazz:

More info on us trying to save What’s Your Game?

Yea guys, we’re gonna try to throw a little console party type thing at What’s Your Game today.

3S will be on cabinet = 50c/play

The sticks will be working, as both the sticks kind of shorted out last night (most play they probably got in like 2.5 years) but Neil (the owner) is going to replace all the buttons and both sticks today.

MvC2 and GGS will be on console with sticks there to play on. Console will be a $5 cover charge, play all you want all night. So if you haven’t had a chance to play slash yet or want to get some practice in and dont have a chance, here is your chance to play.

If we get enough people we will maybe try to throw a little tournament or a 2 man Team tourney type deal. Just something to get everyone together and playing and shit.

Phil will be there I’m assuming since the 3S cabinet will be fixed.

As for as time, get there around 5:00-5:30 or something, me and Walter will probably be there around then. Ill call Phil in a little bit if he isn’t on IRC.

Oh shit nice.
Um so is this going to be more like a casual type thing? Cause I don’t get off work till 6 and traffic Northbound on I-95 and the Merritt are a killer at that time. So… my question is… Is this till closing? If so, what time IS closing lol?
Also, I can provide 2 PS2s with Slash but I also have CvS2 lol.
I’ll try to get some ppl to go to this too even though they’re not that good, but exposing them to a tournament type environment might get them hooked.

yes, tonight is more ofa casual type thing, and we’ll probably only have 1 setup for slash and one setup for marvel, maybe 2 for each, but TV’s are going to be the issue here (such short notice, you know?) and if you’re there at around 7, im almost positive we’ll still be there.

and the more players you bring, the better, hopefully they will get hooked and we have more for the tourney before ECC…

Closing used to be like 2am, but since the arcade started losing money and lost half of their space, and had to sell most of their games…it’s usually til about midnight.

If there are are lot of people, they will probably be inclined to stay open later. Perfect example, last night I was there playing pool with like 5+ people and they stayed open until 10, while usually they close at 8:30-9.

This will be more of a casual thing, I’ll try to spread the word around that it’s happening and I’ll probably get some MvC2 heads from the Bridgeport area to come out. Also Tony Barnage from northern CT is already coming down so he’ll be there. Should be fun, I’ll probably bring a console setup myself so there’s an extra.

I’m assuming there’s going to be a cover fee tonight though, right? We want to help the arcade don’t we?
Also, I’m going to have CvS2 on me just in case enough ppl want to play it.

Ok here is the deal for tonight as I just got back from whats your game

3s on cabinet 50c/play the sticks are fine everything was replaced today

slash/mvc2 on console (bring your own stick) 5$ cover charge starting at 7pm till close

feel free to bring another tv console the more the merrier but unfortunately due to the financial situation of the locale I would not be able to waive the cover charge. So come on down and help support your scene as the arcade owner is willing to work with us(fixed the sticks this morning when I called him at 8am) and get newer fighting games(he has a naomi & atomiswave board) with a nice tourney season this summer WYG in BPT is going to be the place for ct heads to practice

So it’s just gonna be 1 tv per game correct? I can’t bring tvs cause i only have 27 and up and those are some heavy mothers. =(
So no extra ps2s needed then I assume.

ok seems ppl are starting to get hyped for the tourney tell your friends!

You still haven’t set the date yet, it’s May 19 right? This might be a bad idea, both the Da Vinci Code and See No Evil are coming out that day…

And the next day is a Chinatown fair Marvel tournament that everyone is going to to prepare for ECC…

I had edited kitty’spost earlier but this dsl is garbage yea the date for it is may 19th I’m going to both

ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok I am going to have to cancel this tourney somethings came up for this week(shift change at work and my mother flying in this week) gonna have to postpone till a later date will keep every1 informed about it