training regimen

I know that you aren’t going to get instantly good. I get that. But Considering I’ve been playing for close to a month and haven’t won a single match (I also understand that wins don’t matter), NOT ONE, I was wondering if I’m doing something wrong.<br>So, I usually go into training mode as Ibuki, and practice executing my specials, ultras, etc.  Then i’ll run through the list of bread and butter combos a few times.  Then i’ll play a few matches online.  on RARE occasion I can get in a few of those combos I practiced, but hardly.  I try defending, but I usually get hit by SOMETHING, then get stuck in a corner, cry myself to sleep, etc.<br>After a few rounds of that, Ill go into training mode as Ryu, do the same, and still end up losing.  <br>I’ve watched all of Tbirds videos and vesper arcade and stuff, and I understand all of it…just…I dunno. Can’t do it or something. <br>I realize that I’m not going to win every game, as its not about winning.  But i can’t even win against people who are making mistakes that even I could point out. <br>

If at all possible, find family/friends to play with since it kind of takes the stress off things and you get to learn about their character and they get to learn about yours. Once you’ve played a decent amount of matches with them, if you played in Endless, you can go back and watch your matches and see what you did wrong. Did you miss your punish? Were you out of range? Did you drop your combo? What are you getting hit with? Are you becoming too predictable (always waking up with reversal for example)? Are you jumping too much and getting punished for it? Once you notice what’s wrong with your gameplay, you can learn your punishes, stop bad habits, etc.<br><br>I’m assuming you’re new to the game and as much as I would like to dissuade people from playing one of the most execution-heavy characters in the game when they’re starting out, it’s up to you to judge whether or not it’s the right choice for you. In the end, it can pay off since you’re not learning a whole new character all over again and fall into the same habits that are available for certain characters (can’t reliably safe-jump against Ryu but it works against Ibuki for example). For example, a lot of people recommend playing an easier character to learn such as Ryu or Bison, and although it’s nice to learn a variety of characters, if you don’t intend to make them your main character, you will end up having to spend time to learn your main (I’m assuming in your case, it would be Ibuki) in addition to whatever beginner character you chose. In some sense, your beginner character will be a crutch since you’ll think to yourself, “I can’t win with the character I want to play, so I’ll go back to what I know” and then not go back to playing your main again, or not spend the effort and time to learn them.<br><br>If you’re dropping combos online, it may not necessarily be you, it could be the connection. I would recommend you to go back and watch replays of your matches and look at what you could have done better and learn from your mistakes. But don’t forget to be proud of yourself for when you do do something right because even though mistakes are what allow us to learn, doing something right also means that well, you’re doing something right so you know that there’s nothing else you could have done better for that situation.<br>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/50267/Murdurus">Murdurus</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>If at all possible, find family/friends to play with since it kind of takes the stress off things and you get to learn about their character and they get to learn about yours. Once you’ve played a decent amount of matches with them, if you played in Endless, you can go back and watch your matches and see what you did wrong. Did you miss your punish? Were you out of range? Did you drop your combo? What are you getting hit with? Are you becoming too predictable (always waking up with reversal for example)? Are you jumping too much and getting punished for it? Once you notice what’s wrong with your gameplay, you can learn your punishes, stop bad habits, etc.<br><br>I play with my girlfriend, though she doesn’t like sf much, plays skullgirls. Which is still the same basics, so i guess theres that.  Like, I’ve gotten to the point where i can see what i did wrong, in retrospect, but in the midst of battle I make huge mistakes and feel like i don’t know what I am doing.  Often missing punishes, sometimes dropping combos (but definitely my fault, not connection).  getting hit with everything from hadoukens to normals.  Just doing bad in general.  And no, I try not to jump, as little as i can.<br><br>I’m assuming you’re new to the game and as much as I would like to dissuade people from playing one of the most execution-heavy characters in the game when they’re starting out, it’s up to you to judge whether or not it’s the right choice for you. In the end, it can pay off since you’re not learning a whole new character all over again and fall into the same habits that are available for certain characters (can’t reliably safe-jump against Ryu but it works against Ibuki for example). For example, a lot of people recommend playing an easier character to learn such as Ryu or Bison, and although it’s nice to learn a variety of characters, if you don’t intend to make them your main character, you will end up having to spend time to learn your main (I’m assuming in your case, it would be Ibuki) in addition to whatever beginner character you chose. In some sense, your beginner character will be a crutch since you’ll think to yourself, “I can’t win with the character I want to play, so I’ll go back to what I know” and then not go back to playing your main again, or not spend the effort and time to learn them.<br><br>Yeah, I am rather new, but I did read many threads and thought about it, and I am going to main ibuki, but I know how to work around ryu.  I mostly play her, but I’ll play and practice as ryu sometimes just to see if im bad with ibuki, but don’t do well with him either.<br><br><br><br>If you’re dropping combos online, it may not necessarily be you, it could be the connection. I would recommend you to go back and watch replays of your matches and look at what you could have done better and learn from your mistakes. But don’t forget to be proud of yourself for when you do do something right because even though mistakes are what allow us to learn, doing something right also means that well, you’re doing something right so you know that there’s nothing else you could have done better for that situation.<br></div>
</blockquote>

thanks for the advice, though. :)<br>

I’m still pretty shit myself but I’ll give you the same advice I’ve received.<div> </div><div>1.) Go into Training Mode and practice your moves until you can do them 100x without fucking up. (I still can’t do this with every move but don’t usually drop it until 80 or so.) For me this is a daily regimen. </div><div><br></div><div>2.) Combos don’t mean shit if you can’t set them up, learn your normals, all of them, their ranges, their damage, their priorities over other moves if you can </div><div><br></div><div>3.) If you have a decent life lead, sit back and let them come to you and mess up. There is no shame in playing the clock. </div>

This is a good place to start: Devote Yourself to Your Training! Ibuki Training Regimen

So, If you picked up the game a month ago with no prior experience, why are you in training mode? What are you training for? Combos? What’s the point, you just said you get a hit on your opponents. If you want to start learning, just go play until you have an wall you’re hitting that is not “I can’t get in”. Do you have a move that beats you every time? It’s also impossible to learn to block in training mode, unless you’re trying to learn to block a specific setup that you will recognize midgame (something you learn to spot with experience). Just go play and get some experience. Training mode is useless if you have no experience because you will panic mid game.

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/61814/Yousend">Yousend</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>So, If you picked up the game a month ago with no prior experience, why are you in training mode? What are you training for? Combos? What’s the point, you just said you get a hit on your opponents. If you want to start learning, just go play until you have an wall you’re hitting that is not “I can’t get in”. Do you have a move that beats you every time? It’s also impossible to learn to block in training mode, unless you’re trying to learn to block a specific setup that you will recognize midgame (something you learn to spot with experience). Just go play and get some experience. Training mode is useless if you have no experience because you will panic mid game.</div>
</blockquote>

I don’t JUST do training, i practice my combos and specials, then play online<br>but either way, that’s all the people in the newbie section say to do, so I figured that’d be what to do.  <br>If that is the case, I’ll go play online now.<br><br>i do, however, feel like im getting the slightest bit better, knowing to combo into my specials, and ex neckbreaker under fireballs, etc.<br>

Play with human players more, either online of offline.<div><br></div><div>Get more exposure to the game and slowly you’ll know how to handle the situations you’ll face.</div><div><br></div><div>And slowly your combos will get more accurate when you play more coz you’ll tend to do the combos alot of times more before you realise it.</div><div><br></div><div>And of course, know the BnB of the character you’re using and know what moves are punishable and what are not.</div>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/77519/AhChang">AhChang</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Play with human players more, either online of offline.<br><div><br></div><div>Get more exposure to the game and slowly you’ll know how to handle the situations you’ll face.</div><div><br></div><div>And slowly your combos will get more accurate when you play more coz you’ll tend to do the combos alot of times more before you realise it.</div><div><br></div><div>And of course, know the BnB of the character you’re using and know what moves are punishable and what are not.</div></div>
</blockquote>

I play online, but i made my girlfriend get it so i can have a personal training partner.<br>I know the BnBs of Ibuki, but that’s about all i know of her.<br>

you sure ibuki is the right choice for a novice unexpirienced player !!!???<div><br></div><div>just practice ,be patiant,watch tons and tons of youtube videos of other ibukis, learn the frame data,learn the setups, learn what is punishable and how</div><div>and eventually you will beat some1 :p</div>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Fundamentals are the most important thing to learn. Everything else comes next. Ryu isn’t bad to learn with, and then move to a different character.</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Removing character loyalty, if you are a good Ryu, you are good at SF. Once you are “good” at SF, you can pick up quite a bit of characters on the side, or shift mains entirely.</span><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Learn spacing. Your normals are just as important as your specials, maybe even </span><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>more so potentially. Learn what is safe on block, and what isn’t.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Watching videos won’t help you unless you are looking directly at tutorials for beginners. You have only been playing for a month, match videos won’t do you too much good yet. <b>Figuring out why you should do things is FAR more important than simply finding out what you need to do.</b></span></font></div>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/64152/littlescumbag">littlescumbag</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>you sure ibuki is the right choice for a novice unexpirienced player !!!???<div><br></div><div>just practice ,be patiant,watch tons and tons of youtube videos of other ibukis, learn the frame data,learn the setups, learn what is punishable and how</div><div>and eventually you will beat some1 :p</div></div>
</blockquote>

In the op, i stated i play ryu and ibuki about equally. :P  I’ve been watching tons of videoes, after playing around with other characters, i can see what are their punishables, etc.<br><br><br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/31688/protoman385">protoman385</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Fundamentals are the most important thing to learn. Everything else comes next. Ryu isn’t bad to learn with, and then move to a different character.</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Removing character loyalty, if you are a good Ryu, you are good at SF. Once you are “good” at SF, you can pick up quite a bit of characters on the side, or shift mains entirely.</span><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Learn spacing. Your normals are just as important as your specials, maybe even </span><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>more so potentially. Learn what is safe on block, and what isn’t.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Watching videos won’t help you unless you are looking directly at tutorials for beginners. You have only been playing for a month, match videos won’t do you too much good yet. <b>Figuring out why you should do things is FAR more important than simply finding out what you need to do.</b></span></font></div></div>
</blockquote>

I know, i need to learn fundamentals,  I’d like to think i have a good grip on them, but it seems as though i am not.  <br><br>I have a really good poke game in SG, but i cant poke worth shit without getting punished somehow in SF.  Like, i walk up, throw a cr. LP and somehow get hit and comboed from that. dunno how.<br>I have watched all of TBirds beginner videos.  <br>