Training Time and Techniques

How many hours do you guys spend a day in training mode. Like honestly~ if you were to wake up on a weekend where you had no appointments or anything else and you wanted to dedicate to a fighting game, how long would you usually train before getting bored, etc.

I find myself unable to really push myself beyond an hour or two in training before my performance starts to degrade or I zone out. I stop improving and can’t focus. I don’t have ADHD or something like that, but I find myself unable to sit down and train, train, train like I’ve heard others doing.

What do you do to stay motivated? Where does the motivation come from? Do you play music while you train? Do you take breaks? What are your suggestions to getting someone to do this, and stay fresh throughout the training mode process. Should I be drilling a BnB for an hour, or mixing it up with different routines?

I know motivating to train is almost like motivating oneself to go outside for a jog. Nobody can force you to do it, the motivation has to come from within. But running with a friend, or an MP3 player, or going cross country can help fight the monotony. What can I do to make training time important and effective again? How long is too long, and how short is too short?

Now this is just me, and I think you that training time is different for everyone, and you have to find what’s comfortable for you, and what helps you get better.

Since I’m 14, and it’s the start of the summer, I don’t have anything to do, so I train for about 6 hours a day, not in one period though. I have my PS3 on my left, and my computer on my right, and I train my combos, reactions, things like that for like an hour. If I get bored, I’ll go on SRK and read some stuff, then usually go to my character’s combo thread, and try some really advanced things out of there. Then I’ll go back to my regular practice, and if I get bored, maybe try some crazy situational combo, or one that is impossible (8 ex moves), or what I find the most fun, making up my own combo. Then back to regular training, then if I get really bored, switch to a random fun character like Seth, and just screw around with combo-ing to his ultra 2 and stuff. I also drink coffee or eat cereal and junk while I practice.

the only time i go to training mode is when i want to test something or commit something to muscle memory. tests can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, committing to muscle memory can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. if i have nothing else to do then i won’t be in training mode

in other words, i think you’re feeling the way you feel for a reason. just play the game and take a look at what’s going on

I can normally spend hours in training, but then again, I am still quite rusty with fighting games, and trying to make a bit of a come back, I probably spend about 20 mins on just specials (forcing muscle memory) and then about an hour on combo’s. Before i head online.

Did just make a post of this actually… Shameless linkage

I’m similar to you in that I can only go for about an hour before I start losing it. When my performance starts getting to be sub-par it’s usually because either my hands are getting tired or I am just starting to zone out and not think clearly while attempting whatever it is I’m practicing. One thing that does keep me going is telling myself to just land one more of what I was trying to do.

I find that once I do start getting fatigued it’s a good idea to just take a break for a few minutes. Get a drink, watch a show, play a different character. I think you will find that you can get back in there pretty easily and start training hard again. As for a training routine…I like to practice a bnb combo repeatedly and then move on for a little while. Do your bnb 5-10 times in a row. If you miss one, start over at 1 until you can reach the goal you set for yourself. I find it also helps to just put the cpu mode on to try and land combos against an active opponent.

These are things that help my training out so hopefully they can help you too.