Trying to reduce the noise in my house

I am moving into my first home in may and i’m going to be in the basement. Problem is i have kids and when i have company i dont to wake them because of all the hype. So what kinda foam should i use and is there a certain area or place i should put them? i was thinking about just putting them in the ceiling and then have it covered with a drop ceiling so it can reduce some of the loud stuff in the basement…just trying to have it sound quiet as possible.

Eggcrate foam has prevented the cops from being called on many a jam session. Also weather stripping around doors is important. Ive also heard of different paints you can use dampen noise. I also have known some people that straight up tape the costco sized eggcrates to their walls but Im sure if this is your first place you want to keep it classy.

Foam placement on wall corners also helps

I’ve been advised that noise-dampening is less about the thickness or density of any one layer, and more about having multiple layers of varying density. Supposedly it “breaks up” the sound waves better that way.

Years ago one of my friends put up wooden boards covered in used egg cartons all around the walls of his music room, and then hung old sleeping bags over top of them. I don’t know where he got so many sleeping bags from. Or egg cartons. The room smelled unpleasant but it was pretty sound-proof.

Unfortunately, children don’t fit into egg cartons. Consider wrapping your children in sleeping bags: it’s safe, soft, warm, and it will help to muffle their hearing!

I may be able to provide some advice on this one. If you really want to do this properly and if your basement has a suspended timber floor I would suggest the following.

  • If your suspended timber floor is deeper than 150mm then I would fill the gaps between joists using an acoustic insulation. Its abit like your normal miineral wool insulation that comes in rolls but alot denser. I believe the density is 45kg/m3 and comes in 100mm thick slabs. Just make sure the insulation is not in contact with the floor boards above and a gap of minimum 50mm is maintained above.

  • Once you have installed this I would then install galvanised “resilient” bars which must be installed perpendicular to the direction of the existing joists. Follow manufactures installation instructions. The resilient bar is a thin piece of metal which dissolves the sound hitting the ceiling.

  • Then over this fit 2 layers of 12 or 15mm thick acoustic plaster board. These boards are about 3 times heavier than normal acoustic plasterboard. Make sure you tape all the joints. These boards must be screwed into the resilient bars you fitted earlier and these screws must not touch the joists otherwise the sound will be bridged.

  • Tape all joints and then plaster to finish.

That should stop airbourne sounds travelling from the basement upwards. Alot more work and money involved but well worth it in the long run.

Care to provide links to where i can by this stuff? Also i sent you a message asking how much would you charge for a cab :slight_smile:

Oh snap, deedogg! I didnt even notice it was you. Leave it with me I will post up some working drawings aswell as full specifications for you.You can then take that to a builders merchant and buy all the materials. It’s a DIY job (2 person) but the finishing plaster finish will need to be done by a specialist.

With regards to the cab, where did you send the message as I don’t remeber seeing it.

i think i wrote on your profile wall. PM me when you get all the info :smiley:

Sorry bro, I don’t normally check profile messages as most of my time goes into replying to emails from my website or PM’s on here. Drop me another PM with your email address and I will get back to you with a price for a cabinet.

Here is a quick diagram of what your floor build up should look like.

I am not entirely sure what materials or suppliers you have in the US but im sure if you took this diagram to your building material supplier they can help you. You will most likely need your total ceiling area so they can work out how much you need.

By the way, no offence to the other ideas proposed but some of them are very dangerous as they are highly combustible materials. God forbid if there was a fire of some sort that shit would go up soo damn quick. The method I am proposing would meet the building regulation requirements (within the UK) for a residential dwelling and im sure the US isn’t much different.

If you need further help/information let me know.