TS5 Review + Strategy questions

I know this is late and there must be thread discussions about this somewhere else, but I put it here because I wanna get to the very core of the players and their opinions on top of mine. I wanted to get around to talking about TS5, but I kept telling myself that I’ll post tomarrow about and thoughts and well…it turned into weeks, so I said, ok, better do it now BEFORE Evo and with enough time so we can all come to our concludsions and blah blah blah. Enough babbling, lets get into it.

Now, first things first. I know its TS and well, not everyone will be there like Evo. But lets all set the record straight here. Even at Evo, the best players in america just can’t make it or don’t have the time to. So, go ahead and throw out the name of your local hero that never attends anything. I personally love Joe Lee’s style and execution (MGL player).
I just wanna point out, does anyone notice the gameplay of west coast and east coast players? I mean, the results of TS5 would have been different if you had 5 Star or Sextaro playing. I mean, JWong, yeah, hes good at the game, but he just simply isn’t the best here by a long shot. Now, ricky lost to him, but who the hell didn’t watch the winner bracket final and grand final without inducing an almighty “Ricky, what the hell are you doing”? Now, if you know how ricky works his magic and if you played him both casual and tournyment. You’d know that hes great in the sense that he’ll get you to make mistakes and he’ll punish you for it. A somewhat perfect blend of west coast beatdown with east coast solid rock defense. A blend that didn’t show in the finals. Sure, hes a CvS2 player. Hes excused because thats his focus there, not 3rd strike. But let me tell you, the c.lk -> SAIII’s were KILLING jwong. He should have stuck to that and he would have been champ at TS5 not Jwong. It was just a sloppy performance, but hes excused. He got nervous, whatever. I forgive him and so does everyone else. Jwong’s chun li is just too cookie cutter style to be champ at the game. Poke, poke, run, run, poke, poke, and keep doing it until you get an opening. That style comes in about a dime a dozen everywhere. He plays like a rock all the time. Its like, the time is your only attack and your best option. I like fubarduck and Roah’s style. I mean, what can I say? Some of you may be going. “But, wtf man, why does Jwong beat Fubarduck if you think hes a better chun? LoL, stupid nub! ROFL”. Hell, who doesn’t get bored and pissed off at this game playing chun li’s like Jwong? Its BORING, so boring, and here in CA we basically know how to punish that style with flying colors. It happens everyday. At MGL, at FFA, it just gets blown out of the arcade daily. Which is why I’m suprised as well I’m sure everyone else because ricky should have punished Wong’s Chun. Chun is right down his alley anyway. To compare it to another game. Its like running away (storm) and coming back with heavy damage if you link the c.mk (cable). Sure, right down his alley. Anyways, enough about this cause I’m getting sick of it. I can talk all day about this.

A couple of questions tho, just to quiz everyone here for fun and whatnot. So answer this before you decide to flame me or whatever. Infact, if you wanna flame me answer these right without looking it up, and maybe i’ll take something here back if you don’t like it or don’t agree, wanna come to my house to kick my ass, whatever.

Ken question:
What does more damage?
1: s.mp, s.hp, jab DP xx SAIII
2: s.mp, s.hp, fireball xx SAIII
3: j.hk, c.mk, fierce DP xx SAIII
4: j.hk, c.mk, ex DP xx SAIII
5: s.mp, s.hp, ex DP xx SAIII

Akuma question:
Does he have less stun time?

Yun question:
Whats better situation for SAIII?
1: s.lp, s.lk, s.mp, SAIII
2: s.lp, s.lk, s.mp, jab DP xx SAIII
3: Cold start (knocked down opp. activate SAIII)
4: Airborne opp. jumping at you coming from pretty far

Makoto question:
The meaty s.mp…what works here assuming that you are breathing down their neck on the wakeup.

1: Early or late hit? s.mp (blocked), command grab connects?
2: Early or late hit? s.mp (parryied), command grab connects?
3: Early or late hit? s.mp (taken), command grab connects?

Ken question:
j.hk, c.mk, mp DP xx SAIII

Akuma question:
Does he have less stun time?

I dont know what you mean? You mean he gets out of stun faster? He does have the shortest stunbar together with Remy.

Yun question:
Whats better situation for SAIII?
s.lp, s.lk, s.mp xx SAIII

Makoto question:
The meaty s.mp…what works here assuming that you are breathing down their neck on the wakeup.

1: Early or late hit? s.mp (blocked), command grab connects?
2: Early or late hit? s.mp (parryied), command grab connects?
3: Early or late hit? s.mp (taken), command grab connects

1: Yes, but wait a bit, dont cancel into command grab, but more of a tickthrow
2: ofcourse, they’re not in blockstun so the grab should connect.

But when s.mp gets parried/blocked/hit they usually jump away or try to hit you before you can grab, so mix it up, s.mp can link easily into s.lk xx qcf+lp for example, which sets up a good guessing game =)

And I havent seen the finals between jwong and justin yet (dont have the DVDs yet :frowning: my friend bought them) But I know jwong’s turtle style is a bitch to defeat, but winning is winning… I mean, if you read the interview with Tokido see GD sticky you can read that he says that he uses every way to win if he must, even if it means playing cheap. And we all think Tokido rocks. He played Urien in coop1/2 IIRC

1. Shippu only hits once or twice because jab Shoryuken knocks opponent airborne.

2. that’s ok, but taking the Hadouken out of the combo gives you slightly more damage.

3. replace fierce Shoryuken with strong for more damage. first hit of strong Shoryuken does more than the first hit of the fierce. 2 hits of the fierce will result in even more reduction.

4. so not worth it. you don’t really wanna do an EX cancelled into a super art because you burn too much meter with a not so damaging result.

5. see #4. btw, s. strong does not link or cancel into c. fierce. i’m guessing you were thinking along the lines of s. strong, s. fierce?

now regarding the JWong “bashing,” sure he plays boring, but if he wins and whoever’s facing him in the tourney can’t beat him, that’s their problem. a win is a win is a win. if insert player name here is that much better than some cookie cutter Chun, then tourney results should dictate that. 'til someone comes up and places as consistently as Wong does in all the 3s tourneys he participates in (and beats Wong in the process), everyone should just shut it. cheap, boring, same’ol----- whatever. he wins.

i’m not a Wong fan by any means. i’m just telling it like it is.

:rock:

1. see #4. btw, s. strong does not link or cancel into c. fierce. i’m guessing you were thinking along the lines of s. strong, s. fierce?

Yes, yes I was. sorry, its a typo. I intending s.fierce. Sorry for the confusion.