Ultra Compendium (WIP)

chun-li

**Note: This guide is mainly about Ultra I, Housenka. **

After looking around a bit I noticed there’s no topic on this, and considering how hard it is for Chun to land her ultra in certain matchups I thought such a thread would be useful. The aim of this thread is to list which characters corner juggle works on (and any notes on timing) and to list which moves can be punished with ultra and the timing for that as well. I hope this thread isn’t redundant/useless.

Keep in mind I got most of this information from this forum, but I can’t recall exactly who posted what so forgive me if I don’t give credit. Also, this is a work in progress that I need your help to finish, so please share any information/corrections you have.

General Info
Command: charge :l: (55 frames) :r::l::r::3k:
Damage: 510
Startup: 7 frames
Recovery: Longer than brain surgery
Range: About 4/5ths of a screen
What makes execution tricky is the charge requirement. This means you should always (and with any charge character) try to keep your charges. If you’re not moving forward you need to be holding downback. And for instance, if you’re doing EX SBK, instead of :u::2k: do :ub::2k: and that lets you keep your backcharge.

Note that one jump is not enough time for a charge if you start charging after the jump. You can do a neutral jump or whiff a poke on the ground to charge without moving back and to mask the fact that you’re charging. Example here around 4:10. Another trick is to use cr. hp to slide forward a bit, but so far I haven’t had any luck with it.

It can be countered if you throw it randomly and deals very poor chip damage. Combined with its slow recovery, this is the last ultra you want to throw out in desperation. Keep your cool, Chun wins matches without landing ultra.

Anti-Fireball Ultra
Ultra has a good amount of projectile invincibility and can punish some fireballs from fullscreen distance (as most involve a bigger hitbox from the fireball animation). As a result, you can pretty much shut down the fireball game once you have ultra, but be warned that good players will notice if you lose your backcharge so it doesn’t mean you can run around freely. But always keep that backcharge if you can! Even good players will make mistakes or underestimate you and throw a fireball at the wrong time. However, be very careful with this: do the motion on twitch, but don’t hit the buttons until you see the flash from a fireball or you will be very very sorry. Also be wary of FADC attempts: some will throw a fireball and FADC back to bait your ultra. In general, just don’t make it too obvious that you want to ultra. Mask your intentions with kikokens and whiffed normals to distract them into recklessly throwing fireballs.

Dash Ultra
Dash ultra allows you to cover more ground and thus is necessary to punish some moves and allows you to punish fireballs from full distance. It’s fairly easy to do: charge :l: then :r::r::l::r::3k:. You can even stick an FA in the middle right before the dash (keep holding back when you go into FA stance) and dash right through a fireball.

Juggle Ultra
You can juggle with ultra after EX SBK, EX Legs, air double fierce, or Tenshoukyaku. However, only do this near a corner or just a couple of hits will land and the rest will shamefully whiff. What makes this tricky however is that the timing for some characters after EX Legs is different, and it doesn’t juggle fully on some at all! This was the original motivation behind this thread.

J. HK into Ultra
A neat trick that you can use to setup ultra is to do a back jump hk (otherwise you won’t have charge). This works best in the corner against characters who rush in (like Balrog) but works against anyone who’s whiffing a move/jump in under you.

J.FP x2 into Ultra
The extra freeze from the two hits gives you just enough time to charge 55f from a forward jump. It can be useful, but difficult to hitconfirm if only the second FP hits.

The Matchups
Legend:
Blue: Common/important/easy punish. You must know the timing for these.
Green: Somewhat common/easy punish. Usually similar to blue but with potential complications, or just less common
White: Uncommon/difficult punish. Not necessarily hard but these require anticipation usually.
Gray: Theorycrafter punish. Not likely to ever happen, listed for completeness.
B: On block
W: On whiff
H: On hit
C: As counter (before the attack hits/recovers)

• means refer to the third post for more details.

Abel
Ultra choice: II
Juggles in corner: Far
Punishes:
-Ultra (W / B) - bait with properly spaced meaty kikokens
-Change of Direction (W / C / B: between first and second hits of high string, second and third of low string)
-Cr.HP (B)
-Cr.HK (B)
-Wheelkicks except EX (B)
-Marseilles Roll (W) (during recovery, you really have to know it’s coming)
Matchup notes: Ultra doesn’t really lock down any of Abel’s options, so you’ll want to combo into it if you get a chance.

Akuma
Ultra choice: I
Punishes:
-All ground fireballs from fullscreen ©
-Goshoryuken (B / W)
-Ultra ©
-Air fireballs (W) (only MP and HP, snag him as he lands)
-Cr. HK, Cl. HP (B) (only if he doesn’t have super/ultra as he can cancel into them)
Matchup notes: A good Akuma won’t give you any opportunities for ultra, so take the extra damage from the juggle if you get a chance.

Balrog
Ultra choice: II / I
Punishes:
-Headbutt (B / W)
-Ultra (B / W) (On block, you can ultra just before the last hit to avoid more chip damage)
-Dashes ©
-Low rush punches (B)
-Overhead rush punches except EX (B)
-HP Dash (B)
Matchup notes: Good reflexes will make Balrog fear random dash punches, being able to counter on reaction can make this matchup much simpler

Blanka
Juggles in corner: Yes
Punishes:
-Any horizontal ball (B) (with dash ultra)
-Non-ex horizontal ball ©
-Ultra (W / C from a distance)
-Ultra (B) (midscreen only, take one step back then ultra)
Matchup notes: Because of Blanka’s tendency to use 50/50 ultra, knowing how to punish it is crucial to this matchup, as well as being able to punish horizontal ball on block (many Blankas won’t resist the urge to chip).

C. Viper
Juggles in corner: No
Punishes:
-Ultra (B) (after the ground hit, don’t have to wait for the flame kicks)

Cammy
Punishes:
-Spiral arrow (B) (note that it hits twice if done up close, wait for the second hit)
-Cannon spike (B) (again wait for her to be close to landing or it will whiff/hit her in midair)
-Ultra (B) (make sure you’re standing at the end or she will land on the other side, and wait a bit for her to start arcing down from the recovery or you will whiff)

Chun-Li
Punishes:
-Ground target combo (B/W)
-Kikoken ©
-Ultra (B/W)

Dan
Punishes:
-Gadouken ©
-Kouryuken (B/W)
-Ultra (B/W)

Dhalsim
Ultra choice: I / II
Juggles in corner: Yes, he’s very floaty so watch the timing or you’ll whiff
Punishes:
-Yoga fire © (watch the distance, if you’re too far you can get tagged by lp fire on the back)
-St. HP (C/W/*)
-Ultra © (half screen or closer)
-Super (B/W)
-Poorly spaced slides (B)

E. Honda
Punishes:
-Far HK (B)
-Any headbutt (B)
-Ultra (B)
-Oicho nage (W)

El Fuerte
Juggles in corner: No
Punishes:
-Tostada Press (B/W)
-Ultra
-Super (B/C)
-Slide (B: close range)

Fei Long
Punishes:
-Flame kicks (B/W)

Gen
Juggles in corner: Yes, another floaty bastard so watch your timing
Punishes:
-Blocked/whiffed Gekirou (not too fast or you’ll hit him in midair)

Gouken
Punishes:
-Fireball ©
-Cr. HP (B)
-Demon flip slide (B)
-Tatsu (B/W) (if the last hit whiffs, you can quickrise and ultra him as he lands)

Guile
Punishes:
-Fireball (careful though, you need to be fast as lightning and I’m pretty sure the jab will tag your back too)
-Blocked/whiffed saumersault
-Blocked/whiffed super and ultra
-Between first and second hit of his retarded sweep

Ken
Punishes:
-Blocked/whiffed ultra (as he’s landing)
-Blocked/whiffed super (ditto)
-Blocked/whiffed shoryuken
-Fireballs (be careful, his startup is long and if he does a jab it might tag your back like Dhalsim’s)

M. Bison
Punishes:
-Whiffed Devil’s Reverse from anywhere (dash ultra for fullscreen)

Rose
Punishes:
-Soul Spark
-Super
-Blocked/whiffed ultra
-Blocked Soul Spiral
-Whiffed Soul Throw
-Blocked slide

Rufus
Punishes:
-Snake Strike (W)
-Messiah Kick LK followup (W)
-Cr. HP (W/B/H/C)

Ryu
Punishes:
-All fireballs © (be wary of fireball fadc baits)
-Cr. HK (B)
-Any shoryuken (B/W)
-Ultra ©

Sagat
Punishes:
-All fireballs
-Blocked/whiffed ultra, super, uppercuts

Sakura
Punishes:
-Blocked ultra (must be blocked low)

Seth
Punishes:
-Far HP (B/H)

Vega
Punishes:

Zangief
Punishes:
-Lariat (during recovery! too early and it will embarassingly trade)
-Whiffed ultra (if you jumped out of the way, you have enough time)
-All Banishing Flats on block
-HP Banishing Flat on hit

Adon

Cody

Dee Jay

Dudley

Guy

Hakan

Ibuki

Juri

Makoto

T. Hawk

Extra Notes:

Dhalsim
St. HP punish:

you can punish Bisons devil reverse, i have gotten him full screen with ultra, can be done outside the corners because if you time it right it will hit like normal.

roses soul spark and ultra and be ultra’d, soul spark like a hadouken and ultra on wiff/block, super is same as soul spark, her slide can ultra’d on block (testing these as i go so sorta) soul throw can also be punished when it wiffs soul spiral can be ultra’d on block

note some i know from matches others i went in practice mode did the move then held block as soon as it was done then replayed it and tried to ultra.

Nice thread
this thread will help you build up your posts
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=184359
magneto maniac apparently abandoned it

You can ultra under Akuma’s air fireballs too, I’d call it a punish, sort of.

the air fireballs can be tricky as depending on what punch he uses will dertermine how far it actually goes, if he does a LP and u ultra you are going to get hit on the head, of corse if you are close enough you should be safe. Chun’s ultra > akuma’s ultra by the way lol

I haven’t tested, but I thought he could grab her out of startup… will check as soon as I get a chance.

Everything I noticed you didn’t have up, mostly by frame data, some by situation. A lot of this is really pointless information, but there’s some stuff of note in here.

Abel
Blocked crouching HK
Blocked LP Rekka (reversal timing)
Blocked second and third High Rekka
Blocked third Low Rekka
Whiffed Sky Falls (not from full screen, I believe)

Akuma
Air fireballs when timed right
Blocked crouching HP (not so useful information)
Blocked close standing HP (not so useful information)
Blocked crouching HK (semi-useful information)

Balrog
Blocked crouching HP
Blocked far standing HP
Baited Turn Punches
Baited Dash Punches

Blanka
Blocked close standing HP (reversal timing)
Blocked standing HP (reversal timing)
Blocked standing MK (reversal timing)
Blocked standing HK
Blocked crouching HP
Blocked crouching HK (reversal timing)
Poorly spaced slide (df+HP)

C. Viper
Blocked HP knuckle (ghetto shoryu)
Blocked Non-EX Seismo Hammer
**Note, the blocked hammer is ONLY if she doesn’t jump cancel it! I like to do it against Vipers who like to Seismo HJC Seismo a lot, but it’s risky.

Cammy
Blocked close standing HK
Close standing HK ON HIT!!! (as long as it wasn’t counter hit)
Blocked crouching HK
Blocked super

Chun-LI
Blocked second or third hit of her ground target combo
Blocked / baited EX SBK
Blocked super

Dan
Blocked crouching HP
**Fairly positive that Dankukyaku can NOT be punished by ultra
Blocked super

Dhalsim
Blocked DF+LK (point blank)
Blocked DF+MK (point blank)
Blocked DF+HK (poorly spaced)
Non-LP version of Super (how you’re going to be able to tell if it’s the LP version or not, I have no idea)
**It IS possible to punish Sim’s ultra with yours. It’s actually quite easy as with some practice. Wait a split second after the ultra freeze unfreezes before releasing your ultra. Yes, it PUNISHES.

E. Honda
Blocked far standing HK (reversal timing)
Whiffed command grab (can do from full screen, so I’ve heard)
**Do NOT try to ultra his super! I’m 95% certain it doesn’t punish on block.

El Fuerte
Blocked Tostada Press
Blocked slide (poorly spaced)
Blocked Quesadilla Bomb (the armor break thing)
Blocked super
Whiffed ultra

Fei Long
Blocked close standing HP
Close standing HP ON HIT!!! (reversal timing)
Blocked crouching HK
Third LP Rekka Ken
Second / third MP Rekka Ken
First / second / third HP / EX Rekka Ken (if first hit, it needs to have been poorly spaced)
Whiffed command throw
Blocked super

Gen
Mantis:
Crouching HK
Crain:
Crouching MP
Crouching LK
Crouching HK

Gouken
Blocked crouching HP
Baited charge punches
Baited counter
Blocked Demon Slide (poorly spaced)
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra

Guile
Blocked crouching HP
In between the first and second hit of crouching HK
B or F + LK (poorly spaced)
Blocked super
Blocked Ultra

Ken
Blocked close MP
Blocked crouching HP
Blocked target combo
Blocked LK Tatsu
Blocked super

M. Bison
Blocked crouching HP (reversal timing)
Blocked slide (crouching HK poorly spaced)
Blocked Psycho Crusher (poorly spaced)
Blocked MK / HK / EX Scissors (2-hit only)
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra

Rose
Blocked crouching HP
Crouching HP ON HIT!!!
Blocked LK Soul Spiral (point blank)
Blocked Non-EX Soul Reflect (reversal timing)
**I don’t think you can ultra her slide…Even from point blank.

Rufus
Blocked crouching HP
Crouching HP ON HIT!!!
Blocked LK / MK Messiah Kick (no follow up)
Blocked Messiah Kick LK follow up
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra

Ryu
Blocked close standing HP
Close standing HP ON HIT!!!
Blocked close standing MK (reversal timing)
Blocked crouching HP
Crouching HP ON HIT!!!
Blocked Shoryuken
Baited Shoryuken

Sagat
Non-EX Tiger Knee (poorly spaced)
High Tiger Shot (full screen)
Low Tiger Shot (not from full screen)

Seth
Blocked far standing HP
Far standing HP ON HIT!!!
Blocked crouching HK
Booms (not from full screen)
Blocked / Baited shoryukens
Blocked Hyakuretsu
Whiffed command grab
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra (as long as it doesn’t push you out of range)

Vega
Blocked far standing HP
Blocked far standing HK
Blocked crouching HP
Blocked slide (crouching HK poorly spaced)
Blocked Flip Kicks
Blocked Sky High Claw
Blocked Barcelona Strikes
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra

Zangeif
Blocked far standing MK
Far standing MK ON HIT!!! (reversal timing)
Blocked DF+HK
Blocked Focus Attack (even if dash cancelled)
Blocked Banishing Flat (Green Hand, LP version reversal timing)
HP Banishing Flat ON HIT!! (reversal timing)
Whiffed command grab
Running grab
Whiffed super
Whiffed ultra

Thanks for the help! Going to need some time to go through this again, I’m trying to sort the punishes in order of usefulness/frequency. I’m trying to get to the point where Chun can ultra the tiniest twitch and not just fireballs, I think that would allow her to overcome any weaknesses. If your opponent is too scared to fireball, that’s already a great bonus. Now picture them too scared to whiff a poke.

"I’m trying to sort the punishes in order of usefulness/frequency"
I was about to suggest you try doing that, glad you are already thinking of it :smiley:
also, please indicate if the punish has to be a reversal.

I’ve started reorganizing and color coding the entries. Next I will add more precise timing information. I’m going to need some feedback because I’ve given them importance based on my experience, and god knows my comp sucks so I’d like to hear from more experienced players if possible.

Tested a few times, he can definitely ultra her out of it.

if chun ultra’s first then akuma does then maybe i have not tested that but if akuma activates before chun then chun will beat him i have done it a number of times online. also this is not right in front of eachother, more like 1/2 screen

as long as neither is actually comboable then the one who activates first, LOSES.

also amro… ALL characters are jugglable in the corner its just that you have to start the legs starter from alot further away than normal.

-edit… actually i take that back… the far launch doesnt work on dic, fuerte and viper

it does i’m almost positive but it definitely is ridiculous.

so you might just want to amend some of those “no’s” with “far”

-dime

most akumas do the demon reversal when they get up or the fireball ultra trick (they hadouken if u jump they activate, if u are far enough away and can land before they get to u and you ultra then u will beat it, from what i seen most do it from full screen)

@casey
Cammy
Close standing HK ON HIT!!! (as long as it wasn’t counter hit)
Blocked crouching HK
Blocked super

if standing HK hits you it means you lost your back charge and cammy recovers before you can charge again for ultra

vs gouken
if the last hit of his HK tatsumaki whiff, you can do a fast wake up and ultra him on his way down

I will try to found this video but i have see something cool versus dhalsim.
You can punish a back jump hp even you are hit by him.

Btw how many frames is one second in SF4 (60? 30?
)

You can punish Rufus’s whiffed snake strike and whiffed lk messiah kick followup as he lands (There’s some recovery frames where he looks like he’s standing somewhat neutral but he’s frozen and can’t block). If you jump back while charging to avoid the messiah and keep holding backward as you land watch for the followup and then activate Ultra after. As mentioned before by casey, the lk followup is also punishable on block.

You can technically get him with Ultra in between his whiffed messiah kick and the followup ( or if he does no followup) but it’s better to wait for the followup because activating Ultra in between is kind of risky like trying to punish Zangief’s Lariat in between (possible… but a high chance you’ll get a trade and knocked out of your Ultra).

You can also get him between his cr. mk xx Galactic/EX Galactic Tornado. It’s easier than doing an ultra between a shoto’s cr. mk xx fireball because Galactic Tornado after a blocked cr.mk spaces you far enough away that you are no longer in blockstun and can reversal. When a shoto does a cr. mk too close to you and cancels it into a quick fireball you’ll actually still be in blockstun and can’t reversal in between.

Yeah Rufus has earned some of my hate lately and they almost never do cr. HP on Chun anymore so I’m looking for other less obvious moves to punish him on.