UMvC3: Execution/Input Problem?

Hello everyone. Been a lurker for a while, decided to climb aboard because, you know, why not.

I love watching UMvC3. I really do. Every time I play it though, I always have problems. Usually, it’s with the inputs.

For instance, let’s take Dante (not my character of choice, but was practicing with him because he was the first character that I knew that had a OTG move). The combo I want to do is:

In the corner: L, M, H (if I can’t get an S to land after the heavy, I usually just go with L, M), S^, L, M, H, Sv, forward shoryuken motion M, mash M to get the kicks, quarter circle back H, mash H to get that gun juggle thing, quarter circle forward 2 buttons.

The problem lies with trying to input the forward shoryuken motion M after landing. I use an arcade stick or a controller (I bought a TE stick but I can’t simply do anything with it, but I try anyway). I feel like I’m doing it right. forward, down, down-forward. Right? Is the problem how I press M? Am I supposed to input M RIGHT as I press down-forward, or after?

This problem extends to all combos and moves in the game. I try so hard to do these things. I believe I know what to do, but I can’t get it out. I don’t know if it’s me, the stick/controller, the console, or what.

I’ve been at this for quite a while. People say practice makes perfect, but that’s not the case with this. I’m about to just give up.

Thanks for your help in advance (that is, if you do decide to help me). I really appreciate all the help I can get.

It’s probably you
Practice motions first. Spend 5mins a day with Dr Strange teleporting

i’ve always done the actual Z motion.

first off, turn on your button inputs in training mode, and see if there’s anything wrong there. secondly, what is dante doing instead of the volcano? is he doing a whiffed standing :m:?

this doesn’t really have anything to do with your question, but try doing :m: :m: :h: :s: for your air combo string, instead of LMHS.

I’ve actually tried the real Z motion, but I can’t seem to get it, even when I’m looking at the arcade stick and making SURE I do it, I don’t get it. It’s weird, because sometimes I do get it randomly and other times I won’t after doing the exact thing. However, I’ll try these things. Thanks for those replies. If anyone has anything else to say, I’ll happily read those.

Husteen: When I do the forward z motion M, he either usually does a whiffed ducking M or sometimes nothing at all. What I want to do is do the forward z motion M as an OTG, right after that do those kicks he does when you mash, and then that into backwards quarter circle H. I don’t even know if that’s possible.

It sounds like you’re pressing :m: earlier than you should be. If he does a whiffed ducking :m:, it means you pressed :m: without finishing the :dp: (you did it before the :df:). If he’s not doing anything, it probably means you pressed :m: before you even landed. Turn on input display in training mode so you can confirm this. And by the way, this is still a case of practice makes perfect. You just have to make sure you’re practicing the right thing.

Hey forte, thanks man. I’m glad you made that post. I’m gonna keep trying.

Just to be clear though, can someone make sure the combo I’m trying to do works? I’m pretty sure it does, but I’m not entirely sure.