UMVC3 - Neutral game in general?

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Hey, just started playing marvel 3.</span></font><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I’ve only played a little bit, for now, the biggest problem i’m having is the neutral game for this game seems really odd</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I find it hard to get in on characters who have pretty decent projectiles, and i don’t really have an answer for people who jump in the air other than to go for an air throw, but it feels off or like im missing something.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Also having difficulty punishing a lot, although i don’t really know what is safe on block.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Like vs Trish I don’t know how to deal with ground trap along with them jumping in the air, how to get in?</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>When people play Spencer i don’t have the biggest problem blocking his offense but i don’t know where my turn starts, it doesn’t seem like you can punish the overhead he does on block, maybe you have to anticipate it and hit a button before it comes out? Should I just push block and go back to neutral but the problem with that is i don’t really know what to do when he flings around and i just end up blocking again</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>i’m using chun li tron and iron man for the moment, and with chunli it seems really difficult to get in even when im using the uni beam assist to get some ok ground cover but can’t deal with anything in the air</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>also her air dash only goes forward apparently so its harder there too haha</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I’ve seen people play the game a dozen of times but its hard for me to tell why things are good to do in this game or not.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>and yeah it seems like being able to confirm into damage off super jump- confirms is really important, i can do some but it isn’t really consistent yet because i’m not actually hitting people too often because im having too much trouble playing neutral any tips for me?</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>if it helps to mention at all, i play mainly guilty gear and ap/cvs2</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>thanks in advance yeah.</span></font></div>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><div><div class=“QuoteAuthor”>I’m gonna try not to be a dick about this, but someone’s gonna say it anyway…</div></div><blockquote class=“Quote”><div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href=“http://forums.shoryuken.com/profile/14383/KaoriManabe”>KaoriManabe</a> said:</div><div class=“QuoteText”><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”>i’m using chun li tron and iron man</font></div></blockquote></div><div class=“QuoteAuthor”><br></div><div class=“QuoteAuthor”>That’s 50% of your problem. Playing that team is going to make it very hard to learn the fundamentals of this game. Every character on it is bad and I don’t see any significant synergy on it, so I’d recommend playing a well-established team to just learn the game, then maybe come back to this one. Running a low tier team against people who are already experienced in Marvel 3 isn’t going to do you any favors, and it’s just going to hamper your growth.</div><div class=“QuoteAuthor”>Otherwise, neutral game is very character-specific and very matchup-specific, in my opinion. So depending on what team you end up running you’ll have to watch some videos and maybe poke around on the character discussion forums to see what people think.</div><div class=“QuoteAuthor”>As far as hit confirming off of super jump height, some characters have it easier than others. Tron can just air S to get people on the ground. I don’t know what Chun-Li or Iron Man can do. Other characters have specific staircase-like confirms. But in general it’s more important to learn how to convert from normal jump height.</div>

<div>alright, ill poke around forums to find some characters to play, i’ll  try running at least one of these characters i want to play but do you have any ideas for a character who is well-rounded for learning the game?</div><div>and yeah ofc neutral game is char/matchup specific but are there any general ground rules that sorta apply to every match?</div><div><br></div>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/14383/KaoriManabe">KaoriManabe</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><div>alright, ill poke around forums to find some characters to play, i’ll  try running at least one of these characters i want to play but do you have any ideas for a character who is well-rounded for learning the game?</div><div>and yeah ofc neutral game is char/matchup specific but are there any general ground rules that sorta apply to every match?</div><div><br></div></div>
</blockquote>

Iron Man is still a pretty good assist with strong utility so I’d recommend building something around him.<div>Viscant answered a similar mailbag question a while back suggesting people learn the game with Magneto/Doom/Sentinel. I kind of agree, because it’s a very bread-n-butter team with good assist synergy.</div><div>My advice is to start with someone like Wesker or Nova or Taskmaster, all three very fundamental-heavy characters that are all good in their own right and can help you learn the game.</div><div>As for general ground rules, idk man. Neutral game is different in Marvel than any other game because it doesn’t happen right at FIGHT!. Against some characters like Zero, you might go an entire game without even getting a chance to play neutral. Otherwise the rest of your questions can only really be answered with experience, especially character-specific stuff. Maybe other people have better advice than I do.</div>

its cool man, was some good advice, thanks a ton.

Yeah, pick a different team. Its tough to get anything started with that team. I recommend a team like Wesker/Doom/Magneto. With this team, you get a very good anchor, 2 great assists for Wesker (hidden missiles and disruptor), ability to learn TACs with Doom and Magneto, you get to really go hard with learning movement for all the relevant characters in this game and you get a footsies based character to learn how to truly play neutral in this game.<br><br>Regarding neutral game, IMO, there are 3 levels to look at. Close Ground Level, Ranged Ground Level and Higher Level. Close Ground Level is up close on the ground. Ranged Ground Level is from mid range to long range on the ground. Higher Level is the air game. Your team has to be designed to where it can play in all 3 zones or you can quickly and easily get to 1 zone to another.<br><br>Chun-Li’s strength comes from up close. She is weak in the two other zones. Unibeam can help her switch from the ranged zone to the up close game depending on spacing. But, how are you gonna be able to fight someone thats in the air? All you can do is make some godlike read with the team you have, because Tron can’t help you with that and Ironman really can’t do that.<br><br>You have to know the weakness of your team and how to get over that weakness.<br>