Understanding Links with Frame Data Question

I’ve been trying to get more savvy with frame data lately and I heard someone mention a “1 frame link” and a “2 frame link”.

I know what a link is when I’m playing, but I’m not sure how to determine links when I use frame data.

Would anyone care to explain how to?

Firstly, from the sticky:

So are you asking how to figure out how many frames a link is?

For example, from the link of Ryu’s normals:

F + HP (the solar plexus strike thingy) is +4 on hit. Crouching HP has a 4 frame start up. That means it’s possible to combo, but it’s only a one frame link.

In comparison, his crouching middle punch is +5 on hit and has a 4 frame start up. This means it’s a 2 frame link.

Thanks that was really helpful. So as long as the positive frame adv equals or is greater than the start up frames of the normal I’m trying to link next, it will combo?

You got er.

You’ll probably also find that 1-frame links are relatively difficult and will probably require some hefty time in training mode.

Also, once you know which characters are attempting 1-frame links, as a shodo (assuming by your name), you have the benefit of being able to mash out a Shoryu if they drop their link. For instance, Bisons will try to C.LP, C.LP, C.LP -> C.MK -> LK.KneePress to maximize their combo dmg. If you get caught with the C.LP’s, you can mash that shit, and if they drop their 1-frame link to the C.MK, shorryyuukkeen.

Anyway, good luck with those links :wink:

Oh that makes sense too. So essentially finding out the links with frame data is also finding out how much timing u need for a certain link (or to defend against one) plus if the move can combo?

Yea pretty much. The less frames you have to do the link, the harder it is to pull off. In Starcade’s example:

[Quote]
F + HP (the solar plexus strike thingy) is +4 on hit. Crouching HP has a 4 frame start up. That means it’s possible to combo, but it’s only a one frame link.

In comparison, his crouching middle punch is +5 on hit and has a 4 frame start up. This means it’s a 2 frame link.
[/Quote]

F.HP -> C.HP is notably more difficult than C.MP -> C.MP. This is true for pretty much all links.
Personally speaking, I’m comfortable with 3-frame links, can do 2-frame links with some practice and find 1-frame links sketchy at best but worthwhile if you need to resort to some desperate measures.

Please don’t…

And enjoy whenever you nail them… :slight_smile: