Understanding Safe Tortilla (A more complex explanation) ~Updated!

el-fuerte

If you understand this concept and you did not before reading this thread, please post here. If you have another reaction to this thread please submit it via the poll or a post.

The following informative pictures are to explain the basic concept behind how to correctly understand the spacing between El Fuerte and his opponents after landing a Tortilla throw.

Let me stress that this is not just the explanation of “how to safe tortilla” but how to apply the technique of Safe Tortilla in different spacings.

While reading the following explanations, please view the picture posted along with each section.

[COLOR=Black][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

============= THIS IS WHERE IT GETS TRICKY ==================

This post was made for the die-hard fuerte players, the ones that play him night and day and are trying to understand the logistics of El Fuerte. Fuerte has the MOST options over all in any given game than any other character, he has more inputs and must have much more information about his character than another player has about their own character.

One example of a situation that leads to varying points of A, B, and C**

If you hit your opponent with an anti-air FA and they are flung across the screen, there are multiple ways to catch him, for example…

Doing two HK Guacamole’s to land across the screen and build meter is good, but you will land at a different spacing between A-C than if you had immediately habanero dashed forward and stopped at the opponents rising corpse (then A-C would be directly next to and touching each other)

After safe tortilla there are several ways to take advantage of the time you’re capable of moving while your opponent is rising.

Some of these options are…

[LIST]
[]Habanero Dash (torwards opponent to start okizeme options or backward to build meter or increase distance between both characters
[
]LK guacamole to build meter can be done more than once safely.
[]HK Guacamole to build meter, close distance, and/or land on other side of opponent
[
]Tortilla over opponent (Blanka and Rufus cannot be shower kicked over)
[]Habanero dash torwards opponent, shower kick over him.
[
]shower kick (can be done multiple times) to close distance between you and your opponent
[]C.RH - slide to your opponent
[
]Accelerated wall jump torwards or over them
[]Jump forward
[
]Quesadilla Bomb (may be able to shower kick over opponent before they rise)
[/LIST]

This is the part where I wish q-bomb was in input with distance covered by input strength. It’d be easier to use it as a measuring tool. But hab dash/guac are still better, namely mk quac, timing’s just right for a back run.

I assume you mean the timing is just right for a back run into tortilla throw.

That kind of statement is what I’m trying to get rid of. There is no spacing that is “just right” there are spacings where you jump from B-C and are able to hold the stick all the way to the right, but not all people feel that, that is the most reliable way.

The equation varies too often to say that one way is “just right” perhaps it is able to grab the opponent safely by holding the stick all the way to the right, but that spacing would change in different situations depending on where the opponent lands in relation to where you start the run.

Only after a tortilla would MK guac to back run, safe tortilla work, and I prefer to use HK guac, neither is better than the other it just depends on the person.

The distance between A and C can occur in several different spacings and you have to take advantage of it when it happens and capitalize on it.

I should have been more specific. My bad.

But you are absolutely right on both counts. I find mk guac good to go into back run tortilla.

Thing is, as I don’t want to be predictable when I “prep” the safe tortilla as well wanting to be able to PROPERLY do it while keeping the intent of doing it I practice on getting it down via guac, dashing, qbomb, etc.

It’s alot more important to have it down in super then in vanilla though.

Edit: totally got a kick out of the pictures.

I main Fuerte since Vanilla and I don’t have a clue about Safe Tortilla. I don’t know what you mean. I mainly use Tortilla as anti air and a recovery attack. I may not be the best RSF maker, but I can assure you that my mind game is a test of courage. If you fall on the ground, you stay on the ground with me. With Tostada press, ex guacamol leg drop, fajita buster and the tortilla propeller… you got 4 moves incredibly hard to dodge on recovery.

2 of them are anti-crouch, 2 of them are anti-air and 2 of them are anti-standing and one of them is a knocking down attack able to be used as a crossing attack. Just let your imagination goes…

I like the explanation on the distance.

To summarise, could you say that it doesn’t really matter where you are at A, so long as you reach B and hit the HP button at the right time?

eva02langley, Safe Tortilla is a technique which allows you to pressure your opponent on wakeup more safely, so that even if they guess right, you’re still safe. Safe Tortilla if done correctly will evade practically any wakeup antiair move so you land behind them, and even if they jump or backdash, you recover in time to block or even punish.

You never have to hit b, you are able to safe tortilla off at any point between A-B.

Hitting B allows you to hold the stick all the way to the right after pressing fierce for tortilla.

If you press Fierce and start tortilla before hitting point B you cannot hold the stick all the way to the right, you have to adjust- so you hold right for a little bit, and then let it stay neutral on top of point C.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were only talking about the max range safe tortilla.

In that case I already know what it is, only the term was new to me.

You’re turning something really simple into something really complicated.

Why do you need all those pics?

You aim is to land a tortillia on your opponent during the first couple of frames they wake up. Simple as that.

Tortillia distance can be controllled, everyone knew that.

Whats with the maths lesson? lol

Paper is a RL math professor it comes as a habit

Hmm, I thought safe tortilla was stuffing reversal DP’s with correct spacing+timing like in Vanilla. I know you can do it in Super, but I find it much harder. I think I’ve only managed to stuff Cammy’s canon spike so far…

Didn’t realise you used the term to refer to whiffing a tortilla behind when you know a reversal is coming…

Anyway, for people who need practice with the safe tortilla, I’d recommend playing single player (arcade mode vs CPU). It really helps with the spacing and timing in many different situations. Probably the only thing SP is useful for.

It took me a second read to get what you were saying. It opened my eyes to a few options I wouldn’t have thought of. Good stuff.

A few changes:

1. Using screenshots to visually show the characters on screen would help greatly. When my capture equipment gets back I’ll try to put some together for you.
  2. Also this might just be me but A, B and C are bad variables to use. They don’t stick in my head as knockdown point, starting point and tortilla point.

I’ve updated the first post.

Let me please clarify once again, this is not a thread to discuss what safe tortilla does, or how to preform it… but how to preform safe tortilla from every spacing imaginable.

This thread is for the theoretical discussion and logistics of one of fuerte’s most complex tools, Safe Tortilla.