Unfair AI?

Am I being a super scrub or is there something inherently unfair about the AI in SSF4? I was fighting Abel on hard, and no matter what I did, he’d either counter it or throw me (lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of throws… LOTS). I don’t see how a real player could have even got me on some of these.

Basically, he’d rush me and immediately throw me. over and over again.

What’s your take when playing against the computer/xbox/ps3? Is it unfair? How does it compare to real people? I don’t have live yet, so i don’t know. :frowning:

Learning to fight the CPU is a completely different thing from learning real people.

They’re difficult to spot, but the CPUs do have patterns that they will initiate depending on proximity and situationals. An example I can give you is that Seth will most of the time do standing stretchy arms at the beginning of the round. And if you randomly jump-in on him while he is idle, his shoryuken will 100% activate.

I only play the CPU to test new characters and combos. It’s best to play real players.

CPU is good as a training mode. Only treat it as such. The AI **will **cheat by reading your input and playing back the best option faster than you can blink. Take it in stride and focus on learning something out of your CPU fights. If you’re playing to win you can cheap them to death easy by forcing them into particular patterns. (like staying just out of sweep range for Seth to do his little chun-kick then punishing hardcore)

the computer isn’t even worth training against

you have to play against it a specific way, you’re not learning anything

Thanks for the super quick responses!

I used to play the AI to win, but now I’m trying to play to learn. It’s hard when I don’t feel like this is what a real match would be like.

I wont be able to get Live for a few months, nor do I have any friends who play SF. Do you have any advice on how to practice?

Just any advice on how to learn from the game itself would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks again, all.

While this is generally true, I found it useful as a mini-step up from practicing on a stationary dummy. For me it helped trying to practice combos while moving around the screen along with my opponent. I know things won’t work all the time due to superhuman AI reflexes but it didn’t take too long to recognize when that happened and just shrug it off.

You’re totally right triplesycs, it really is not like a real match at all…but honestly there’s no real good substitute. Until you get in there and get beat up, you won’t know what you aren’t good at dealing with. Until you know that, you won’t be able to utilize the training dummy as well as possible. My only point is that the AI can create a closer feeling of an actual match than the 10 seconds I can program the dummy to do (except for short training drills), plus you can get used to things like having to deal with low life or deciding on which round to use a super in which don’t really work in training mode.

You must be playing on easiest because the computer is stupid and godlike all at the same time

You can full screen ryu ultra 1 and they’ll just stand and get hit by it but, if you try to combo or poke they will SRK you impeccably

Hah! can’t deny that, I have seen the same thing there. Even in practice the CPU will ALWAYS use a random ultra at a certain distance and still walk into a giant fireball coming at them from 50 feet. Mostly though, I practice short combos on horribly whiffed attacks so it’s not like I’m in that 1-frame "did I drop it, or was it godly A.I.?) world. Usually I play on Hard-Very hard, but I think the benefit of getting used to transitioning from “moving” to “attacking” to “defending” so that it becomes less rigid and more seamless can be learned even in Easiest.

Firstly, go to your character-specific forum and read the guides.

You’ll want to be learning normals, bread-n-butter combos, mix-ups, and specific matchups. You should be learning what normals to use for pressuring, poking, and anti-air. Maybe you can practice by only using normals on the CPU to get a good grasp on them. I can beat the CPU with just normals. After that, move on to special moves and learn how to use them effectively. Also try to learn the appropriate times to throw or use focus attacks on the CPU.

Once you got those things down, learn some basic/easy combos and cross-up combos. Learn to execute them precisely and not by simply mashing and hoping they’ll come out. There ARE situations when mashing can be a good thing though, but don’t rely on it for general execution.

Next, learn and work on your execution with bread-n-butter combos. Practice this in training mode. It’s important to maximize your damage when your opponent screws up. When your opponent puts himself/herself in a vulnerable position, you should really know how to rush in and perform a high-damage, punishing combo. Make sure you can execute those combos well or you might end up getting punished yourself.

After that, study some mix-ups. You don’t want to be doing the same routine, rushing in and doing the exact same thing over and over, so learn some mix-ups to trick your opponent and mess with his/her head.

Lastly, study match-ups. There is no universal strategy in defeating all characters, so you’ll have to learn what normals, specials, combos, etc. are effective against the specific character you are fighting.

For fun… or anger and stress, try challenge mode trials. They make up these ridiculously hard combos that are not practical to use in a real match at all, but it can discipline you to get use to very difficult links, such as 1 or 2-frame links. If you can start doing 1-frame links pretty decently, more lenient combos will become a lot easier for you. It’s not for everyone, but I found challenge mode a little bit useful in that sense.

Finally, you could watch some pros play and try mimicking their style. Try to understand what they’re doing and why they’re doing it.

Overall, I would be spending the majority of the time perfecting the execution of bread and butter combos in training mode while you are waiting to get Live.

Yeah any characters with special throws (Abel, Zangief, T-Hawk, Seth, etc.) will cheap you to death unbelievably if you put the difficulty up. For example, I have just started training up with Ryu. I played through arcade mode on very hard difficulty and got up to Seth without even losing a round, then he cleaned my clock in about 20 seconds. He will teleport all over the place and keep doing the spinning piledriver. He will zone you back with a barrage of sonic booms. He will pass unharmed through hadoukens with his hundred foot kick. If you even think of jumping, he will triple shoryuken you. It was a joke! He IS of course beatable, you just have to play defensively and watch for the patterns of moves they use. Try to make them whiff something then get in there fast. I admit Abel is one of my least favourite characters to play against because once he’s in close it’s very hard to shake him off and sometimes it seems like you’re just a sitting duck while he rolls around the place throwing you. One tip I can offer is the more frustrated you get, the worse you’ll play. Pause it and try coming back in 30 mins if you’re getting stressed.

Good players will be way better than any AI on hardest.

AIs are easy to trick, for example on wake, just lv 3 Focus attack and repeat. Get a perfect every time. They are also predictable at times and can be punished.

Nice to know I’m not the only cat that gets his ass handed to him by the AI…

Yup the ai in sf actually DOES cheat. It has done this for a while because, like the other guy said, it reads you inputs and reacts before you even make your move. Because it reads your inputs and analyze them it can react with the perfect attack. It’s dumb and made for stealing quarters. However, playing against a tough ai opponent does have some benefits. You could at least get some wicked fast handspeed. Don’t feel bad if you have trouble it’s called hard mode for a reason! And even top players of 2dfs have trouble with bosses- Nightmare Rugal, Shin Akuma, Shin/normal Geese etc. And then there’s broken 'ol gill.

this too

sf2 AI will let guile throw a sonic boom, walk forward then do a flash kick if you walk towards him…shit is beast

I was always a fan of SFII’s walking Blanka balls myself.

let the ai act first and learn to read/counter/punish accordingly. but if you want to output an offense, you need to know whats safe and what’s not safe.

Thanks for all the feedback. :rock:

I play the AI on very hard and have a decent win ratio. However, I try to cut out the things are wont work (a lot) online, such as the focus 3x on wake. I’m getting xbox live soon, so I’m hoping I can best prepare myself fighting vs the AI itself. :wtf:

Dude I was playing medium against Abel and I swear he caught me with an ultra every round lol i got pissed and got off.

Honestly you’d be better off just playing a nice FPS or Tomb Raider ripoff than playing the AI. Or playing online-only for that matter.