USB Cable Exposed/Stretched

Just in case this question should be asked somewhere else, sorry for the inconvenience. Direct me to the proper location please! :slight_smile:

Anyways,

I’ve noticed that the rubber, plastic or whatever material it is that is covering up the wires, has started to stretch apart from the location it comes out of (the top of the stick base) and now the wires inside the cable are exposed. I’ve also noticed that some of the wires had begun to split, spiking out.

Although this has happened, the stick itself works fine, I’m just kinda worried that the whole cable will rip apart - since I don’t have money for a new stick atm.

For now, I’ve just covered it up with some electrical tape and tried not too sit far from the TV, so that I don’t continue to stretch it.

Is there anything else I can do to fix it, preferably a permanent fix…?

Pictures are probably a good idea, so I might update if the response is serious or my details are too brief.

:confused:

What stick are you talking about? How long is the cable?

Personally, when this happened to my HRAP3, I glued it with super glue and covered it with tape while I waited for the replacement cable I found in the Trading Post.

I’m… not entirely sure there’s a question in that post anywhere

USB cables can be repaired if broken, look up wire splicing on google and splice together the four wires inside the USB cable. I would also invest in the shrink wrap tubing (be sure to get the correct size), it does wonders for the quality of a wire splice and makes it look much neater, though if you’re cheap you can get by without it.

You can also trim the broken cable (removing the broken section) and reinstall it to the PCB with soldering. Or install a new cable.

There is no need to buy a new stick at all.

I had a similar issue with a Hrap-ex I acquired lately, I wired in and installed a Neutrik NAUSB-W-B A/B USB Feed-Through, so this way I can use conversational USB A to USB B cables. And yes Dev I did flush mount this one, I will show pics when my stick project is complete.

@d3v
Just a Hori Fighting Stick V3 with the buttons swapped out for Sanwas.
Not sure on cable length.

@Sleazoid
Yeah, I just noticed that. LOL
I fixed the OP.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look into them. :slight_smile:

USb rewiring is easy, almost always 4 wires in the following colors Red, White, Green and Black.

Red is VCC or +5v
White is Data -
Green is Data +
Black is ground

Sometimes there will be a 5th wire, this is usually the ground from the cord’s shielding, you can ignore this or you can tie it into the other ground line. The 5th wire is ether bare strands or at the terminal end, black (this is shrink wrap)

In original Xbox controllers there is a extra yellow wire used for light gun support (video feedback line) and not needed for arcade sticks.

Here is a guide on the pin out and wiring.
USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru