Useful Electives?

I’m between majors now with no idea what to take. I’ve finished the core requirements and a minor (Mathematics), and I need to take 4 classes each semester to keep my scholarship going. What are some classes that are generally useful to have taken?

Damn, i was about to say creative writing but never mind, go with the stunt and fight scene course!

If theres any classes that explore the methods of inquiry used to study literature that would be good. The one i took looked at how the practices were developed for analyzing from homer to more recent stuff. The class was hard as balls but I don’t think I’ve ever felt like I’ve actually come away from another class with as much knowledge as I did that one, at least from a non required course.

Technical Writing.

If you don’t, you’ll be gimping yourself of useful abilities.

Public speaking.

Deciding what to do: Top five (financially) majors for 4 year universities:
Total Life Counseling Center Resources: Five Top College Majors in a Bad Economy
Other reading:
One Anti-Unemployment Tactic - The Bachelor’s Degree
How Much Is a Masters Worth? 25 Stats, Studies and Infographics

I assume you are going to University of North Texas, is this correct? I took a quick look at the degrees available.

Engineering: As from the links above, Engineering is a financially successful degree if you like doing it. Since you’ve gotten your math minor, I suggest looking into Engineering. You’re school has Energy Engineering courses which I would have found fascinating, personally.

Martial Arts:
A good martial arts instructor in Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, Pankration, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, those should all give you good workouts with increased endurance, flexibility, and skill. They should all focus about 1/4th to 1/3rd of class on flexibility and warming up, closer to 1/3rd for new students since they normally aren’t used to stretching. They should all make you stronger mentally and physically, able to endure more, especially on the mental side of life. You will take away a lot if you keep at it. There’s always that point where, for instance, in Judo, you just need to take that one little extra push and you would have gotten your partner off of you, but you gave up for some reason. It’s a mental hurdle to experience and learn from. I’ve seen it on TV from those reality MMA shows, if only he had experienced that moment in training he’d not have given up during the match, and this will apply to life.

Physical something:
Hiking, Kayaking, Biking, Running, swimming, etc, these are all physical activities meant to teach you a skill to help reduce stress and get out of your normal of work, study, sleep, eat.

Art: These can enrich your emotional life and help relieve stress.
Music. Take some basic music theory classes. Explore some musical styles unknown to you.
Film. Same as above, explore directors and/or subjects you never explored before. Literature classes can broach this subject for the sake of paper writing, which is the basic skill of any literature degree where one’s original thoughts expressed on a common subject are presented.
I’ve never taken any painting, drawing, or anything, but architecture will teach you perspective as we see it, which can be very helpful.

Science:
Physics, Chemistry, etc., never hurts to have an understanding of some fundamentals of any science you find interesting.

Computer Science:
Learn to program a computer to do something you need. This can be extremely useful for just the thought process. Even if you never use programming again, one might use Excel a lot to help them do things more efficiently. Also, computers are a very large part of our lives. Learning a computer language might go out of date, but learning how to be confident when using a computer as a tool can help. Since you have a strong math background, you will likely practically benefit from this.

i took a class on ethics and another on logic and they were pretty interesting. i use concepts I learned in them in discussions pretty frequently. public speaking is always useful. also a lot of universities have a class on how to look for a job and interview skills and what not. it’s usually not a full blown class but it’s still useful. a unix/shell scripting/php class might be good. don’t take a full blown programming class if you have no interest. i’ve seen plenty of people take an intro to c++ class just because their major required it and it just made their life hell. applied math classes are nice. i took a matlab class and what we had to do in it was use the matlab software to solve problems and then write reports and that’s a very useful skill.

Road Flares 101

Whatever monte just said… :coffee:

P.S damn you beat me to the punch! Just this time tough! Next time I’m going full Takamura on your ass!

That’s true. I should have made an addendum for my computer science plug. Using Matlab to solve problems would be a very useful tool. But for someone to have Matlab at home is unlikely since it is expensive, so I will take a moment to plug in Sage, a free alternative to matlab that will produce plots, figures, 3d, and many more things, and all in the familiar web browser interface:
Sage: Open Source Mathematics Software

Thanks guys. This made registering a lot easier. I’m taking one of those “figuring out your major” classes in addition to your suggestions.